The Student Room Group

Told my teacher I was s*xually assaulted and she said she has to tell other teachers

So I told my teacher after school about an old sexual assault and about going therapy and she was really sweet and listened and everything. The only reason I told her was to ask her whether she thinks I should go therapy on top of a levels as I know it will be a lot to take mentally and I don’t think I’m ready. She said I should try. I told her I thought I was getting better apart from a panic attack I had in year 8 from having detention with a male teacher. She told me she has to make the other teachers aware of this and she’s going to log it into the system ?!!!

I’m so scared because I don’t want other teachers to know. I feel betrayed because I didn’t want this. I don’t want to be pitied by my teachers or for them to treat me differently. I don’t want them to know. She told me not to worry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So I told my teacher after school about an old sexual assault and about going therapy and she was really sweet and listened and everything. The only reason I told her was to ask her whether she thinks I should go therapy on top of a levels as I know it will be a lot to take mentally and I don’t think I’m ready. She said I should try. I told her I thought I was getting better apart from a panic attack I had in year 8 from having detention with a male teacher. She told me she has to make the other teachers aware of this and she’s going to log it into the system ?!!!

I’m so scared because I don’t want other teachers to know. I feel betrayed because I didn’t want this. I don’t want to be pitied by my teachers or for them to treat me differently. I don’t want them to know. She told me not to worry.

It's a safeguarding concern, especially if you're under the age of 16. She has a duty to report it I think. Other teachers knowing won't mean that they pity you, it'll mean they can put things in place to support you and make you feel more comfortable. You did well by talking to your teacher :smile:

She's only going to tell the lead teacher responsible for safeguarding in your school, she's legally obliged to do that. But that's as far as it goes in specific detail. If anything needs to be passed on to other teachers, then it is passed on without the details, ie other teachers you work with might be told they should watch out for signs you are upset, or having a panic attack etc, but not why, and they know not to ask/need to know why.

They won't know the details or pity you, they will just be more aware of situations that might upset you, and for the next detention (!) might make sure there's a female teacher, for example.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
It's a safeguarding concern, especially if you're under the age of 16. She has a duty to report it I think. Other teachers knowing won't mean that they pity you, it'll mean they can put things in place to support you and make you feel more comfortable. You did well by talking to your teacher :smile:

telling other teachers isn't reporting it though...
telling other teachers isn't reporting it though...

It depends how many in total e.g. how many are senior leaders/designated safeguarding (especially if it's a large school/academy).
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
She's only going to tell the lead teacher responsible for safeguarding in your school, she's legally obliged to do that. But that's as far as it goes in specific detail. If anything needs to be passed on to other teachers, then it is passed on without the details, ie other teachers you work with might be told they should watch out for signs you are upset, or having a panic attack etc, but not why, and they know not to ask/need to know why.

They won't know the details or pity you, they will just be more aware of situations that might upset you, and for the next detention (!) might make sure there's a female teacher, for example.

Ok Thankyou
It depends how many in total e.g. how many are senior leaders/designated safeguarding (especially if it's a large school/academy).

reporting to social services would make more sense
reporting to social services would make more sense

It may be that they do but they have to follow policy first which would be to report it to the school safeguarding teacher/team. Depends on age etc. too. Should be reported to the police. If OP is over 16 or 18, I can't remember which, then it's up to OP to decide and consent to report it further.
Reply 8
It may be that they do but they have to follow policy first which would be to report it to the school safeguarding teacher/team. Depends on age etc. too. Should be reported to the police. If OP is over 16 or 18, I can't remember which, then it's up to OP to decide and consent to report it further.

I am 16 so is the teacher in the wrong because she didn’t ask what I wanted?

No they still have a duty of care to report it to the safeguarding team. I can't remember whether it is over 16 or 18 where they would have to get your consent to report it further (e.g. the police/social services). If you're worried then ask your teacher :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10

I am sure your school has a document somewhere on the procedure to be followed in cases like this. Best to consult that first.
Reply 11
Did the male teacher sexual assault you?
Original post by shebk
Did the male teacher sexual assault you?

Oh no no, he was just doing detention with me
No they still have a duty of care to report it to the safeguarding team. I can't remember whether it is over 16 or 18 where they would have to get your consent to report it further (e.g. the police/social services). If you're worried then ask your teacher :smile:

It's anyone classed as a child (the Gillick competence test is sometimes used to decide if they can give consent) and only applies to children afaik. If you're not Gillick competent or an adult the rules are different (under 16s and non-Gillick cannot make decisions for themselves and over 16s are adults so the onus is on them beyond the immediate safeguarding concerns of the school)
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m quite sure she’s told my maths teacher because normally he makes jokes with me but today he was just looking at me funny like in a sad way and asked me if I was alright??
I’m quite sure she’s told my maths teacher because normally he makes jokes with me but today he was just looking at me funny like in a sad way and asked me if I was alright??

She absolutely hasn't told him the details, in fact, she hasn't spoken to him at all, it doesn't work like that. When any student discloses anything that is a safeguarding issue, the teacher only tells the safeguarding lead.

Every school has one central safeguarding lead, but large schools may have one or two assistants. Everything goes through the safeguarding lead, and they are the person that gathers all reports and can see if there is any pattern around a specific student, member of staff, activity etc.

The safeguarding lead then makes a decision as to whether anyone else needs some sort of informing, ie social services, the police, or even in the staff room. If for example a student has disclosed an issue that means they are struggling in class, and are breaking down at times, having panic attacks etc, then the safeguarding lead is likely to tell the relevant teaching staff for that student that there is an issue that might create those behaviours. They don't say anything about the cause, and staff know not to ask, but they are told about the possible effects so they can be alert to the situation.

hiya, i'm really sorry to hear about your situation. I am aware that other people knowing about this scares you and i thought that you may wanna hear what i think would be a good way around this situation.
The teacher in a way is doing the right thing, but in the wrong way. I think she just wants to make sure you don't end up in a situation where you become frightened around a male staff and wants to ensure that there is always a female staff to safe guard you. I believe if you spoke to her maybe you could arrange a way for her to keep your mind at piece, knowing others are there for you but not being explicit on what happened.
I think it would advantage you for others knowing to keep an eye out for you but not exactly why, putting it on the system doesn't seem necessary as it goes against your privacy and is rather unethical in general from the schools side, they shouldn't publicize personal information and you could definitely argue your way out of this one.
It’s a safeguarding issue so, under law they must report it.
Reply 18
Oh no no, he was just doing detention with me

Who sexually assaulted you?
Original post by shebk
Who sexually assaulted you?

My mums partner like 6 years ago

Quick Reply

Latest