The Student Room Group

Is my internet too slow?

Hello,

So I have a Medical school interview coming up and it's through Zoom. However, when I try using Zoom it's extremely slow as in my voice lags and sometimes doesn't even register and my video is very laggy as well.

I was wondering if there is a way to fix this?

Mbps download
Mbps upload

Server: London
Your Internet connection is very slow.

Your Internet download speed is very low. Web browsing should work, but videos could load slowly.
Original post by RossManzuricxh2
Hello,

So I have a Medical school interview coming up and it's through Zoom. However, when I try using Zoom it's extremely slow as in my voice lags and sometimes doesn't even register and my video is very laggy as well.

Mbps download
Mbps upload

Your Internet download speed is very low. Web browsing should work, but videos could load slowly.

That is extremely slow internet. In this particular scenario, it's less than half of the minimum recommended speed of 600Kbps that Zoom recommend for use of their app. Get on the phone to whoever provides your internet service and report the unacceptably low speeds and ask that they investigate.
Thanks we contacted our provider (Virgin Media) and they said it was fine and the only way for them to investigate further is by sending an engineer which would take a month.

We pay nearly £30/month for the broadband so it's definitely not the plan. I don't necessarily have issues with the internet as I can get basic stuff done and watch Youtube etc it's just with Zoom.

Is there a way I can fix Zoom so it can take more kbps? i.e the recommended 600
Thanks we contacted our provider (Virgin Media) and they said it was fine and the only way for them to investigate further is by sending an engineer which would take a month.

We pay nearly £30/month for the broadband so it's definitely not the plan. I don't necessarily have issues with the internet as I can get basic stuff done and watch Youtube etc it's just with Zoom.

Is there a way I can fix Zoom so it can take more kbps? i.e the recommended 600

https://www.speedtest.net/

Run that test and let us know what results you get.
This is so slow lol you need to contact your broadband
just did it through the site
12/01/2020 5:42 PM
PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10514271786
PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

Your internet is definitely the problem here, those numbers are absolute garbage. You cannot make Zoom "take" more speed than is coming out of the wall. If your computer has an ethernet cable you can try connecting directly to the router to see if the speeds are significantly better, meaning the issue is with the wireless signal the router is outputting, but if it's still sub-500Mbps then you've definitely just got a horrific connection coming out of your line.
I got those numbers when my BT Hub died.

I'm guessing Virgin have an equivalent, so explain the situation and that that might be the problem. They SHOULD give you a free replacement, or at least will when the engineer comes and if s/he sees that the internet to you is fine.

Also call instead of use any online chat or email. Don't know about Virgin, but online chat is just Indians following a script and lying to get rid of you. Using them will leave you with the problem even if the claim it's being sorted and to wait. Calling can solve it instantly instead. It also depends who you call, as the 2nd person might be able to help when the 1st time you called they didn't.

Also, if it does turn out to be a fault with the line or hub, they should compensate you. I don't recall what is law now, but they might have a guarantee of a certain speed for your package that you can see on their site, where if you don't get that speed then they fix it and pay you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello,

Mbps download
Mbps upload

PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

Those numbers are hurting me :tongue:

Do you think you can hotspot from your mobile data/ parents' phone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending