The Student Room Group

Cambridge MML Admissions Test

I am applying to study French and German at Cambridge University. I have looked at MML sample papers and I’m a bit confused about the question A in a foreign language. Do I have to take two tests (one for French and one for German) or can I pick which foreign language I answer the question in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 11hkraus
I am applying to study French and German at Cambridge University. I have looked at MML sample papers and I’m a bit confused about the question A in a foreign language. Do I have to take two tests (one for French and one for German) or can I pick which foreign language I answer the question in?

Hi,

I presume you are studying both languages post Alevel. I think you can write the response in whatever language you want- it would be pointless to rewrite it in a different language. What college are you applying for?
Original post by 11hkraus

You can choose which language you want to answer it in
Reply 3
Original post by FrenchOwl2212
Hi,

I presume you are studying both languages post Alevel. I think you can write the response in whatever language you want- it would be pointless to rewrite it in a different language. What college are you applying for?

Thank you for replying! Yes, I’m studying both languages post A-level. That’s great because I’m much stronger in German. I’m applying to Clare College.
How are you all finding the MML test? I’m applying for French and History, and I feel like I’m a lot stronger in the part B, however the part A being split 16/16 based on argument and language is something that I like.
How are you all finding the MML test? I’m applying for French and History, and I feel like I’m a lot stronger in the part B, however the part A being split 16/16 based on argument and language is something that I like.

I also find part b easier !
Reply 6
Original post by Spanishstarfish
I also find part b easier !

I go to a Welsh school so I haven't written much in English since GCSE so I'm struggling a bit with section B - I only found out today that I'm doing the test on the second of December!
Original post by gruffudd
I go to a Welsh school so I haven't written much in English since GCSE so I'm struggling a bit with section B - I only found out today that I'm doing the test on the second of December!

My college only told me yesterday, but I started practicing incase I would have to do the test at some point!
Reply 8
Hi I’m Chloe and I’m due to sit the admissions test this week. The word count for Section A is 250 words but does anyone know the word count for Section B or at least what is expected? Thank you 😊
Original post by Clw_300
Hi I’m Chloe and I’m due to sit the admissions test this week. The word count for Section A is 250 words but does anyone know the word count for Section B or at least what is expected? Thank you 😊

I think just as much as you write which is coherent and well structure etc in the time constraints :smile:
Reply 10
Ok thank you. I’m really worried it’s going to be a random text and I’m not going to know any of the vocab in Spanish to do my Section A😬
Original post by Clw_300
Ok thank you. I’m really worried it’s going to be a random text and I’m not going to know any of the vocab in Spanish to do my Section A😬

You are probably allowed a dictionary! Don’t panic, just do some timed practice ones :smile:
Hi everyone, for the MML assessment tomorrow, how are you splitting section A of your answer? Like how many words are you using for the summary part and then how many for your opinion (of the 250 total)?
Hi I think I might split it evenly and do half for the summary and half for my opinion, but it does kind of depend on how coherent the author's argument is.
Reply 14
Hi guys,
Are you planning on using dictionaries in the assessment tomorrow?
Thanks,
Chloe
Reply 15
Hi guys,
How are you structuring the questions?
Thanks,
Chloe
Original post by Clw_300
Hi guys,
Are you planning on using dictionaries in the assessment tomorrow?
Thanks,
Chloe

My college have said I may use one, so yep :smile:
Reply 17
Ok great I think I have a Spanish to English dictionary in the house. What college are you applying for? I’m applying for Gonville and Caius ☺️
Is there a hard limit for the word count in part A? I tend to go over!
Original post by languagefairy
Is there a hard limit for the word count in part A? I tend to go over!

No, but it’s been advised to stick roughly to the 250 words

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending