The Student Room Group

Changing my mind about 2nd year accomodation

I've already agreed to become flatmates for the next year with a group I met at the start of uni outside of the flat. However, I haven't spoken to them in a while because of lockdown and I have grown apart. I have also become really good friends with my current flatmates and would prefer to live with them.

I have been handed the contract today, but haven't signed it yet.
Is there anyway of rejecting the contract without screwing them over?
Original post by TheRealJimBell
I've already agreed to become flatmates for the next year with a group I met at the start of uni outside of the flat. However, I haven't spoken to them in a while because of lockdown and I have grown apart. I have also become really good friends with my current flatmates and would prefer to live with them.

I dont think so, but you havent helped yourself by leaving it so late. There isnt a magic answer, you just have to make a choice, you made it worse because you delayed it rather than voicing concerns a month ago.
Original post by 999tigger
I dont think so, but you havent helped yourself by leaving it so late. There isnt a magic answer, you just have to make a choice, you made it worse because you delayed it rather than voicing concerns a month ago.

Thanks for the help I've just decided to sign the contract with the original people, as this option seems like it will hurt the least amount of people.

Hiya!

If you haven't signed your contract then you won't be legally tied to having to live there. I had a similar situation last year where I changed my mind about who I wanted to live with. I told my flatmates and they were understanding but wanted me to help them find a new housemate, so this may be an option that you need to consider.

What's most important is your happiness and comfortability :smile:

Sam - Official Student Rep :smile:
At the end of the day, it actually doesn't matter if it hurts their feelings lol.
I don't think that the perception of likability outweighs your personal happiness. It wouldn't make sense to live with people you don't get on with it, if you have the choice not to. If they find some sort of problem with your decision, then that's their issue, especially if you was to tell them about your concerns in a polite manner and apologise.

Even though its slightly different now that you've signed the contract, hope things work out for you.
Wish you all the best x
Thanks for the help I've just decided to sign the contract with the original people, as this option seems like it will hurt the least amount of people.

Imo you should have had a clear the air meeting with them before signing. Hope you dont regret it. Make sure you know which room you are getting.
Had this with mine. It's ok at the moment but far from ideal. Going to move out for next year. Would have pulled out but I understand why you didn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending