The Student Room Group

Does it really matter what university you go to?

Bit late to ask this question considering i'm in my 4th year of an undergrad but i go to a university that is considered worst in the area/region, it has been getting a little better over the years but it is still considered the worst. It does have some issues but in my course so far the main lecturers have been great at their jobs. I'm considering doing a masters and because I don't want to move and the online/distance learning options for the course I want to do is extremely limited I'm considering just doing it at my current university. So does it matter what university you go to?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by word_boxed
Bit late to ask this question considering i'm in my 4th year of an undergrad but i go to a university that is considered worst in the area/region, it has been getting a little better over the years but it is still considered the worst. It does have some issues but in my course so far the main lecturers have been great at their jobs. I'm considering doing a masters and because I don't want to move and the online/distance learning options for the course I want to do is extremely limited I'm considering just doing it at my current university. So does it matter what university you go to?

I think it depends a lot on what you're aiming to do as a later career. I think a lot of jobs that have no specific degree requirements typically treat a degree as a checkbox option just to filter out candidates, rather than caring much about uni prestiege/quality of teaching.

However in competitive/specific jobs they can potentially be extremely picky about uni and degree.
Original post by tmr19
I think it depends a lot on what you're aiming to do as a later career. I think a lot of jobs that have no specific degree requirements typically treat a degree as a checkbox option just to filter out candidates, rather than caring much about uni prestiege/quality of teaching.

However in competitive/specific jobs they can potentially be extremely picky about uni and degree.

Thanks for the reply! i honestly have no idea what i want to do i just know i'd like to continue with education and can't decide if i should try a different university, which is limited.
It depends what degree you study - but it's overblown how significant it actually is especially when league tables are misleading. Overall, it probably matters more what you leave with than what uni you study at. A higher ranked uni doesn't mean the course is any better than at a newer uni.
Original post by BabyStitch
It depends what degree you study - but it's overblown how significant it actually is especially when league tables are misleading. Overall, it probably matters more what you leave with than what uni you study at. A higher ranked uni doesn't mean the course is any better than at a newer uni.

Thanks for the reply! I'm doing a literature degree right now and i want to continue on that route, which in terms of career sectors will probably be competitive. People i know that have gone to a higher ranking university tend to judge me a bit for the university i go to and treat it like i'm not really at university, i just hope everyone doesn't look at it that way.
Thanks for the reply! I'm doing a literature degree right now and i want to continue on that route, which in terms of career sectors will probably be competitive. People i know that have gone to a higher ranking university tend to judge me a bit for the university i go to and treat it like i'm not really at university, i just hope everyone doesn't look at it that way.

I would just ignore them, as it's simply just ridiculous to make this assumption. Many people who attended uni before tend to make wild remarks - many of which is not of reality. What uni do you attend?
I would just ignore them, as it's simply just ridiculous to make this assumption. Many people who attended uni before tend to make wild remarks - many of which is not of reality. What uni do you attend?

Yeah i try to. I don't want to say outright what university it is but it's in Scotland and is usually considered one of the worst. But i do love my current course which i think is all down to the lecturers, their great at their jobs. Which can't be said for all courses but the ones i currently have are the lecturers for the masters courses there to, so i'm trying to factor that in when considering different masters courses and universities.
Yeah i try to. I don't want to say outright what university it is but it's in Scotland and is usually considered one of the worst. But i do love my current course which i think is all down to the lecturers, their great at their jobs. Which can't be said for all courses but the ones i currently have are the lecturers for the masters courses there to, so i'm trying to factor that in when considering different masters courses and universities.

I go to a Scottish Uni also, can I DM you?
in short: yes.

in long (but still short): it seems more people are going to uni so it’s better to go to a russell group or a uni that ranks well for ur course
Original post by brokestudent3

in long (but still short): it seems more people are going to uni so it’s better to go to a russell group or a uni that ranks well for ur course

Depends on what course you do and what job you want after university. Some unis are better for certain subjects than others.

Like Napier is very good for Tourism, Events and Hospitality courses and RGU is good for Biomed Science both not considered the best unis in Scotland
Depends on what course you do and what job you want after university. Some unis are better for certain subjects than others.

Like Napier is very good for Tourism, Events and Hospitality courses and RGU is good for Biomed Science both not considered the best unis in Scotland

yeah i think as long as it’s a good uni for ur course it should be fine but i feel like russell groups are favoured because Napier, Cali, Aberty, and RGU are generally looked down upon
I go to a Scottish Uni also, can I DM you?

Yeah sure

Thanks for the reply, i'm not really in the position to move away from where i live currently and all the 'good' universities don't offer many online masters in the field of study i want to pursue.
yeah i think as long as it’s a good uni for ur course it should be fine but i feel like russell groups are favoured because Napier, Cali, Aberty, and RGU are generally looked down upon

My university is probably looked down upon even more than the ones you just listed haha
Usually not- with employment roles that don't require a specific degree or are not that highly paid or prestigious.
It depends on multiple factors.
Your undergrad subject, postgrad plans, career choice, salary expectations, how bad the uni's reputation is and if you apply to graduate schemes.
Graduate schemes can be highly competitive and a notorious uni with very low rankings can often be enough to rule an applicant out.
My university is probably looked down upon even more than the ones you just listed haha

i’m very curious as to what uni you go to now, i think i know which one it is, it isn’t one listen there
i’m very curious as to what uni you go to now, i think i know which one it is, it isn’t one listen there

hahah tell me what one you think it is? :smile:

What career do you have in mind? Differing audiences will have different perspectives. Thats the key thing to figure i think. I’d also say if in doubt move, maybe radically. You will open unimagined possibilities for your life. Stay, and it risks the same old : if you don’t move for a masters when you think your present university isn't the best, and maybe you never will. You could regret that. Home will always be there if it doesn’t work out and a masters is only 12 months. Its not prison !
Original post by Durhamdad
What career do you have in mind? Differing audiences will have different perspectives. Thats the key thing to figure i think. I’d also say if in doubt move, maybe radically. You will open unimagined possibilities for your life. Stay, and it risks the same old : if you don’t move for a masters when you think your present university isn't the best, and maybe you never will. You could regret that. Home will always be there if it doesn’t work out and a masters is only 12 months. Its not prison !

Honestly not sure career wise, i was considering maybe something academic? I've got family commitments and things currently that prevent me from moving. I really don't want to take a year out to think about this because if i do i'll probably end up not doing the masters.
hahah tell me what one you think it is? :smile:

would u rather i pm u or is it ok if i say it in this thread?

Quick Reply

Latest