The Student Room Group

Which university shall I choose?

Hi guys
So I received an offer both from university of Manchester and royal Holloway for law but I’m struggling on which one to choose. I know Manchester is a Russel group uni but it’s too far. I love both but which one will help me as in job wise? And which one would decrease my chances?

Thank you!
Original post by Isabellaaaa762
Hi guys
So I received an offer both from university of Manchester and royal Holloway for law but I’m struggling on which one to choose. I know Manchester is a Russel group uni but it’s too far. I love both but which one will help me as in job wise? And which one would decrease my chances?

Thank you!

It sounds like you already know which one is 'better', but you don't really want to go there because it's far away from home.
Hi guys

Thank you!

If you think Manchester is too far from home then you probably won't feel very comfortable going there so I would pick Royal Holloway. A level grades plus your class of degree & relevant extracurriculars at uni are more important than where you go to uni.
manchester has amaazing rankings and im sorry but for for law rankings do matter to a large extent and i think yes other factors matter but royal holloway isnt that great
you could look at UEA or kent they are well ranked and have good rep
Original post by ipsabhatt
manchester has amaazing rankings and im sorry but for for law rankings do matter to a large extent and i think yes other factors matter but royal holloway isnt that great
you could look at UEA or kent they are well ranked and have good rep

I don't agree - the reason most people getting training contracts are from RG unis is that RG graduates are more likely to have the highest grades at A level and many law firms will only recruit people with AAB, ABB or less often BBB.

A law firm won't reject someone with AAA/AAB/ and a good class of degree just because they went to Royal Holloway. The only firms that might are the ones recruiting almost exclusively from Oxbridge and A*AA unis.
Original post by harrysbar
I don't agree - the reason most people getting training contracts are from RG unis is that RG graduates are more likely to have the highest grades at A level and many law firms will only recruit people with AAB, ABB or less often BBB.

A law firm won't reject someone with AAA/AAB/ and a good class of degree just because they went to Royal Holloway. The only firms that might are the ones recruiting almost exclusively from Oxbridge and A*AA unis.

thats what teachers have said in school to us
so I'm going off by what I know - they emphasized in order to work for magic circle firms its imperative to go to top rankings unis
but yes i suppose ur point is justifed
Original post by ipsabhatt
thats what teachers have said in school to us
so I'm going off by what I know - they emphasized in order to work for magic circle firms its imperative to go to top rankings unis
but yes i suppose ur point is justifed

Teachers don't know much about careers beyond teaching.

They want their students to aim for top ranking unis because it looks better on their statistics and may also be genuinely confused themselves about the reason why so many students at top law fims come from RG unis.

They want their students to aim for top ranking unis because it looks better on their statistics and may also be genuinely confused themselves about the reason why so many students at top law fims come from RG unis.

what universities do you want to apply to?
do you think that even if you were to go one no ones heard off ur likely to get a training contract?

They want their students to aim for top ranking unis because it looks better on their statistics
and may also be genuinely confused themselves about the reason why so many students at top law fims come from RG unis.

Speak for your OWN school not mine - we don't collect uni data like that. In fact I'd encourage Engineers to look equally favourably at non-RG
Original post by Muttley79
Speak for your OWN school not mine - we don't collect uni data like that. In fact I'd encourage Engineers to look equally favourably at non-RG

Most schools list the destination of last years students in their sixth form prospectuses or at Sixth Form Open Evenings - especially private schools. This was the statistics I was referring to.

I know you have a bee in your bonnet about Engineers and non - RG unis but that is not the point of this thread. In fact we are in agreement on this thread that OP would be better off going to a non RG where they will be happy than going to a RG uni due to wrong careers advice from their school.
Most schools list the destination of last years students in their sixth form prospectuses or at Sixth Form Open Evenings - especially private schools. This was the statistics I was referring to.

I know you have a bee in your bonnet about Engineers and non - RG unis but that is not the point of this thread. In fact we are in agreement on this thread that OP would be better off going to a non RG where they will be happy than going to a RG uni due to wrong careers advice from their school.

Don't assume ALL schools do this though - we have careers people and great employer links etc. RG and Oxbridge are not best for a few careers.

I'm confused why she applied to a uni she didn't want to go to!
Hi guys

Thank you!

Why did you apply to somewhere you did not want to go?
Don't assume ALL schools do this though - we have careers people and great employer links etc. RG and Oxbridge are not best for a few careers.

I'm confused why she applied to a uni she didn't want to go to!

I don't believe and didn't say that RG and Oxbridge are the best for all careers, or all people. That's why my advice to OP was to go to the uni they feel they would be happiest at.

I'm an ex careers adviser and know that most teachers who give careers advice in school are not professionally qualified, they normally combine the role with being a PE teacher or something and haven't taken a relevant postgraduate qualification. And we see lots of examples of them giving out false advice on TSR such as in this case.

But maybe you have a good careers team in your school, that's good if you do.
I don't believe and didn't say that RG and Oxbridge are the best for all careers, or all people. That's why my advice to OP was to go to the uni they feel they would be happiest at.

I'm an ex careers adviser and know that most teachers who give careers advice in school are not professionally qualified, they normally combine the role with being a PE teacher or something and haven't taken a relevant postgraduate qualification. And we see lots of examples of them giving out false advice on TSR such as in this case.

But maybe you have a good careers team in your school, that's good if you do.

What do you mean by 'most'? I'd query whether that is fair ... it isn't for the schools around my area.
What do you mean by 'most'? I'd query whether that is fair ... it isn't for the schools around my area.

I actually haven't met any teachers giving careers advice in schools who have a Diploma in Careers Guidance or MA in Careers Guidance although I'm sure there will be some who do which is why I said "most" don't.

Careers professionals coming into schools but based elsewhere normally have this qualification but not teaching staff employed directly by the school.

But I fear we are going off topic so won't be commenting anymore - I have given OP my opinion
Original post by swanseajack1
Here is an example from Wales school of the decade. Have a look at how non RG universities people went to. Bath being the main exception. It is clear from students on here many are being told Russell Group is everything even though it isnt true.

Please remove personal data from TSR

Isn't this a Private school?
Please remove personal data from TSR

Isn't this a Private school?

yes it is. I have deleted data but it shows that schools and not just private schools are doing this. It is widespread even if not in your school.
Original post by swanseajack1
yes it is. I have deleted data but it shows that schools and not just private schools are doing this. It is widespread even if not in your school.

So you've proved a Private school does it ... not all schools do - it's clearly only some destinations as well.

They are breaking GDPR by doing this of course.
Why did you apply to somewhere you did not want to go?

I do want to go manchester and as I want to work in a magic circle firm, Manchester was a great option to apply to. It’s just me being nervous going really far due to my severe anxiety

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending