The Student Room Group

Should I tell my parents I’m going on a date?

Do I have to tell them? I live with them I’m 21 and it’s a tinder date. I’ve been texting this boy for over a week and he * seems* really nice. We are going for a takeaway coffee and a walk around my local town... in daylight of course all very safe. I just don’t want to tell my parents because 1. I think they’ll heavily judge the tinder part and 2. I don’t like telling them these things because every time I do it ends up not working with a guy.

The thing is if I don’t tell them, I’ll essentially be lying telling them I’m meeting up with a girl friend. And I hate lying. Is it bad if I lie in this circumstance? Urgh I don’t know what to do. Also I get really embarrassed talking about boys
In this situation it's fine, imo. Waiting to tell your parents until it's serious is perfectly normal.
That said, it sounds like you personally really don't want to lie, so that's up to you - if you feel that it would be wrong to lie and you'd feel too awful if you did, don't lie :smile:
The second reason you gave is the reason why I personally wouldn't, to be honest. it's why I'd avoid broadcasting things too early in general. Just say you're hanging out with a friend, it's not really a huge lie unless your parents are very conservative.
you dont have to tell them. but even tho the date does seem perfectly fine and in a relatively safe environment, i would make sure a friend or somebody knows where you are and who you’re with. can never be sure with things like tinder, better safe than sorry!
Reply 4
Original post by MadameRazz
you dont have to tell them. but even tho the date does seem perfectly fine and in a relatively safe environment, i would make sure a friend or somebody knows where you are and who you’re with. can never be sure with things like tinder, better safe than sorry!

Oh for sure haha I’ve told lots of friends :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx
The second reason you gave is the reason why I personally wouldn't, to be honest. it's why I'd avoid broadcasting things too early in general. Just say you're hanging out with a friend, it's not really a huge lie unless your parents are very conservative.

Haha exactly!! No it’s not a huge lie and I think it’s worth the lie in the long run regardless of whether it works out or not
Reply 6
Original post by becausethenight
In this situation it's fine, imo. Waiting to tell your parents until it's serious is perfectly normal.
That said, it sounds like you personally really don't want to lie, so that's up to you - if you feel that it would be wrong to lie and you'd feel too awful if you did, don't lie :smile:

No I mean I know it’s a lie but I guess it’s a harmless lie. I’ve told my friends so there’s no risk to my safety. If it works well after a few dates and it goes official then I’ll then and own up that the meet ups with my friends were a white lie which they’ll understand entirely... if the boy is worth it of course hahaha
Original post by Anonymous
No I mean I know it’s a lie but I guess it’s a harmless lie. I’ve told my friends so there’s no risk to my safety. If it works well after a few dates and it goes official then I’ll then and own up that the meet ups with my friends were a white lie which they’ll understand entirely... if the boy is worth it of course hahaha

Go for it then :smile:
Hope you have a nice time!
Original post by Anonymous
Do I have to tell them? I live with them I’m 21 and it’s a tinder date. I’ve been texting this boy for over a week and he * seems* really nice. We are going for a takeaway coffee and a walk around my local town... in daylight of course all very safe. I just don’t want to tell my parents because 1. I think they’ll heavily judge the tinder part and 2. I don’t like telling them these things because every time I do it ends up not working with a guy.

The thing is if I don’t tell them, I’ll essentially be lying telling them I’m meeting up with a girl friend. And I hate lying. Is it bad if I lie in this circumstance? Urgh I don’t know what to do. Also I get really embarrassed talking about boys

My daughters 19. Shes an adult and I would like to think Ive taught her enough, (and her friends around her too) to be street smart. I would not expect her to tell me shes met a boy and going on a date. And if she was, she would be doing exactly what you are doing right now. In the daytime, in a public place and safe.
If they question where you are going, just say your going out for a few hours to meet a friend and you will be back soon.
Yes. You must also tell them when you have sex and make sure to include every graphic detail.
Reply 10
I think it’s fine to not tell them. Why should you. If you don’t want to lie just keep it vague about who you’re meeting or leave out the tinder aspect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending