The Student Room Group

is it worth me applying for econ at St.Andrews

i took maths econ and graphic design but yeah im just hoping my personal statement carries me hope to apply to leeds warick durham do u think its worth applying to St. Andrews or would that be a waste of an option i can get class grades i just got done over last year because i did no work for the yr 12 mocks so my predicted grades like ABB what u thinkj?
Apply.

St Andrews requirements are ambiguous - 'Standard entry grades: AAA, Minimum entry grades: ABB' - what on earth does that mean. I suspect that St Andrews isn't as competitive as they'd like us to think. Its worth the risk.
Original post by yusuf.khalil03
i took maths econ and graphic design but yeah im just hoping my personal statement carries me hope to apply to leeds warick durham do u think its worth applying to St. Andrews or would that be a waste of an option i can get class grades i just got done over last year because i did no work for the yr 12 mocks so my predicted grades like ABB what u thinkj?

Warwick and Durham tend to be very competitive for Economics. I suspect you will get rejected there with your predicted grades. Leeds may be an option but you need to get a couple of universities around your predicted grades. I know students were getting rejected by Warwick and Durham this year with 2 predicted A* grades

I'm not sure about St Andrews but Warwick and Durham both require A*AA so unless you qualify for a contextual offer you are 3 grades below. Unis asking for A*AA are extremely competitive which means you may well get rejections from them, especially with graphic design as your third A level.

I think you are at risk of aiming too high and thus not getting offers so suggest that that you apply to at least a couple of unis in the range AAB - ABB.
Original post by harrysbar
I'm not sure about St Andrews but Warwick and Durham both require A*AA so unless you qualify for a contextual offer you are 3 grades below. Unis asking for A*AA are extremely competitive which means you may well get rejections from them, especially with graphic design as your third A level.

I think you are at risk of aiming too high and thus not getting offers so suggest that that you apply to at least a couple of unis in the range AAB - ABB.

yeah but my predicted grades arent what i could do i could get get A* AA this year all my teachers said just my predicted grades were based on a mock in year 12 i did nothing for is it just a lost cause u reckon
yeah but my predicted grades arent what i could do i could get get A* AA this year all my teachers said just my predicted grades were based on a mock in year 12 i did nothing for is it just a lost cause u reckon

I would apply to unis in the range AAB-ABB where you are more likely to get offers and then trade up in Adjustment if you get A*AA or take a gap year.

Maybe apply to one or two unis where you would be surprised to get an offer but make sure at least 3 are more realistic re your predicted grades

Universities like you are looking at have numerous applicants and dont need to fill spaces. They look at your predicted grades and compare them with others who will have far higher predicted grades. Who do you think they will choose. Someone who has A*AA or somebody with ABB. You will almost certainly get rejected. You could try adjustment if they are accepting applications or take a gap year and apply with actual grades.

Your teachers arent being honest with you. If they have predicted you ABB that is what top universities will look at. Every year 75% of students dont reach their predicted grades and universities are aware of this.
Original post by swanseajack1
Universities like you are looking at have numerous applicants and dont need to fill spaces. They look at your predicted grades and compare them with others who will have far higher predicted grades. Who do you think they will choose. Someone who has A*AA or somebody with ABB. You will almost certainly get rejected. You could try adjustment if they are accepting applications or take a gap year and apply with actual grades.

Your teachers arent being honest with you. If they have predicted you ABB that is what top universities will look at. Every year 75% of students dont reach their predicted grades and universities are aware of this.

appreciate the honesty mate its looking like im gonna take a gap year and just focus on getting class grades which is **** but got no other option don't want to go to a uni that's not great for economics and then struggle to get a job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending