The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of Edinburgh or York for Chemistry?

Which is better for Chemistry? I'm struggling to pick between the two because I like the course at York better but I prefer Edinburgh as a uni!
Reply 1
Hi there. York's chemistry department is highly ranked in the UK (top 3, I think). I've got three friends who studied chemistry at York and they have only good things to say--indeed, two of them, having completed their undergrad degrees there, chose to stay on and pursue postgraduate study. Nonetheless, Edinburgh has a much better "international reputation", largely as it is considered as one of the "ancient universities"--along with the likes of Oxbridge, St. Andrews, and Durham. Although, I must admit, I think this matters less if you're not contemplating moving aboard when you graduate. I also recommend that you consider more than just the academics. Think about the cities in which these universities are situated: York is much smaller and the university is campus-based; Edinburgh is a sprawling metropolis, which means that the university's buildings are often disparately placed. Your studies, as well as your less tangible skills, will benefit more if you live in a place where you feel comfortable.
(edited 3 years ago)
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by AWard99
Hi there. York's chemistry department is highly ranked in the UK (top 3, I think). I've got three friends who studied chemistry at York and they have only good things to say--indeed, two of them, having completed their undergrad degrees there, chose to stay on and pursue postgraduate study. Nonetheless, Edinburgh has a much better "international reputation", largely as it is considered as one of the "ancient universities"--along with the likes of Oxbridge, St. Andrews, and Durham. Although, I must admit, I think this matters less if you're not contemplating moving aboard when you graduate. I also recommend that you consider more than just the academics. Think about the cities in which these universities are situated: York is much smaller and the university is campus-based; Edinburgh is a sprawling metropolis, which means that the university's buildings are often disparately placed. You're studies, as well as your less tangible skills, will benefit more if you live in a place where you feel comfortable.

Thank you so much for your response, it really helped me make my decision and I ended up going for Edinburgh because I think I’d prefer being in a city more :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much for your response, it really helped me make my decision and I ended up going for Edinburgh because I think I’d prefer being in a city more :smile:

Awesome!! All the best with the degree!
Reply 4
Original post by AWard99
Awesome!! All the best with the degree!

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending