The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Will my GCSE results affect my chances of going to University?

I need an AAB to study Finance, Business and Accounting at the University of York. I don't have a problem with the AAB itself but, I didn't get very good GCSE results. (It's not really my fault, I was given my predicted grades due to COVID.) I got a:

Will this affect my chances of being accepted into the course even if I achieve the requirements?
(edited 3 years ago)
Which of those is your maths grade?
University of York
York
Original post by GabiAbi84
Which of those is your maths grade?

7 English Language
7 English Literature
7 Science
6 Science
5 Math
5 Religious Studies
5 Spanish
They will be more leniant because they will know that your GCSEs were due to CAGs. Secondly, you probably have only missed your gcse maths grade requirement (which is what they will look for they dont care about the others other than you've passed english) by 1 or 2 grades (look at the grade requirements on their page). I personally would do a maths retake and try and get a 7. You get given lessons and sit your exam a few months later. They would be pleased that you put in the effort and i think this is the easiest route as York is a reasonably decent uni. If not it would just be a lil more reliant on your A level grades and personal statement. I hope you are taking A level maths as they usually require A level maths or you can do AS maths if you have not. Overall, it should be okay I wouldn't stress too much I am applying for a German course w a grade 4 at GCSE and it is a bit of a pain but it is less of a problem than i thought it would be. Hope this helps.
I'm confused at the issue, on their website York only requires you get a 5 in maths at gcse which you do have
Outside of Oxford or medicine, GCSEs don’t influence it unless specified on the course requirements.
Original post by trophic_star
I'm confused at the issue, on their website York only requires you get a 5 in maths at gcse which you do have

Yes but i mean will it affect my chances, as there will be other applicants with 8s and 9s
Original post by ashtolga23
Outside of Oxford or medicine, GCSEs don’t influence it unless specified on the course requirements.

Ok! Thanks for the clarification :smile:
Original post by Mohamed Idris
Yes but i mean will it affect my chances, as there will be other applicants with 8s and 9s

I really doubt it, they only really care about A levels
Don’t worry, just focus your time on your A levels.
Reply 10
I need an AAB to study Finance, Business and Accounting at the University of York. I don't have a problem with the AAB itself but, I didn't get very good GCSE results. (It's not really my fault, I was given my predicted grades due to COVID.) I got a:

Will this affect my chances of being accepted into the course even if I achieve the requirements?

maybe but depends of uni/course. for physio at Birmingham I needed a 6 in maths and I have a 5 so I cant go. however im fine to apply to Leicester , coventry etc . so depends
Reply 11

I wouldn't worry about it. York expects pretty high standards across the A-Level board--i.e. anywhere from A*AA TO AAB--but they tend not to worry about your GCSEs. Are you studying for a maths A-Level (?)--if so, don't worry about you GCSE grade being a 5... they won't care about that providing, of course, you meet your conditional offer.
Original post by AWard99
I wouldn't worry about it. York expects pretty high standards across the A-Level board--i.e. anywhere from A*AA TO AAB--but they tend not to worry about your GCSEs. Are you studying for a maths A-Level (?)--if so, don't worry about you GCSE grade being a 5... they won't care about that providing, of course, you meet your conditional offer.

I couldn't study Math because you'd need a grade 6 and I got a 5 from the CAGs, but I did Chemistry which is math-based Economics which has somewhat math Sociology and Core Math (An EPQ) so I hope that'll cover it, the course I want to do doesn't really ask for math though.
Reply 13
I couldn't study Math because you'd need a grade 6 and I got a 5 from the CAGs, but I did Chemistry which is math-based Economics which has somewhat math Sociology and Core Math (An EPQ) so I hope that'll cover it, the course I want to do doesn't really ask for math though.

The best thing you can do is send an email to the department, or, alternatively, ring them! I don't want to give you advice that might turn out to be misleading. Here's the email and phone number:
[email protected] | tel:+44 (0)1904 325032
Original post by AWard99
The best thing you can do is send an email to the department, or, alternatively, ring them! I don't want to give you advice that might turn out to be misleading. Here's the email and phone number:
[email protected] | tel:+44 (0)1904 325032

That's ok. I don't want to call them now as I'm still in year 12, however, the only GCSE requirements for the course I'm applying to Is a minimum of Grade 5 In Math, so I think I'm okay for now. I'm just going to focus on my A levels because as you said they focus more on that and I'll try achieve a AAA since it's above the requirements (AAB) and it might increase my chances.

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 15
That's ok. I don't want to call them now as I'm still in year 12, however, the only GCSE requirements for the course I'm applying to Is a minimum of Grade 5 In Math, so I think I'm okay for now. I'm just going to focus on my A levels because as you said they focus more on that and I'll try achieve a AAA since it's above the requirements (AAB) and it might increase my chances.

No worries. Best of luck with it all!!

Don’t worry I got an offer from York and my predicted were AAB and my GCSE’s 97A6544332
Reply 17

GCSEs don’t matter at all unless it’s a competitive course or if you are applying to Oxbridge. You just need the minimum 5 GCSEs and depending on the course, a minimum grade in Maths/English language. I got 4 C and a BTEC at GCSE and failed the rest which is quite bad. I still got into York.

Quick Reply

Latest