The Student Room Group

i need help

hi i'm currently in year 10 doing:
english (aqa)
math (aqa + higher)
science (edexcel + triple)
spanish (aqa)
sociolgy, business, geography, re (these subjects I am somewhat decent at so I won't ask about these)

I really need help on ways to revise for the top 4, its at the point where I literally break down for not being able to understand the content i'm covering and it's really affecting my ability to do work at school. I struggle really bad when it comes to HOW to revise things because I tend to forget them really fast. So if anyone has effective revision ways please help me !!
my teachers (this year) literally cannot explain anything and I just wanna come out with good grades.
Original post by safahh
english (aqa)
math (aqa + higher)
spanish (aqa)
sociolgy, business, geography, re (these subjects I am somewhat decent at so I won't ask about these)

I really need help on ways to revise for the top 4, its at the point where I literally break down for not being able to understand the content i'm covering and it's really affecting my ability to do work at school. I struggle really bad when it comes to HOW to revise things because I tend to forget them really fast. So if anyone has effective revision ways please help me !!
my teachers (this year) literally cannot explain anything and I just wanna come out with good grades.

Hi. I did my gcse's a couple of years ago. For maths practice is definitely the best option. Try and do as many past paper questions as you can. When topics come up that you don't understand try looking online at resources like corbettmaths. Again with science practice is key but there is a lot of content so to revise this I would usually do flashcards or mind maps and then test myself. The science textbooks that are available also helped massively. English being perhaps my least favourite subject I always found it hard to revise for. Focus on making sure you know how to structure your work and also learning quotes by getting other people to test you on them is very useful. Hope this helps a little bit. Any more questions let me know!!
Reply 2
Original post by safahh
english (aqa)
math (aqa + higher)
spanish (aqa)

Hi I'm in year 13 and I did these gcses in 2019,
For maths revision, what I find really helpful is going through each chapter and going through the questions in the textbook. There are also a lot of materials online, like Corbett maths which have some really helpful material. Also have a look at some edexcel questions if you run out of questions to go through, they are practically the same syllabus for the most part. I tutor gcse maths so these materials I have found really helpful. For sciences, CGP books are great, they helped me a lot- their revision books basically have all the content needed. Also check out their flashcards. Memrise is good for Spanish vocab (also quizlet and maybe even duolingo but depends on preference). For grammar, I think just write out the tables and look for the patterns. Also just practicing speaking is really helpful, and if you listen to spanish music,or watch some Spanish series (i know a few good ones on netflix) its also really helpful. For English, I think cgp again has some good textbooks. Don't worry too much, you still have a year to get everything sorted, and everyone revises differently. Once you've covered the content, I would recommend doing as many past papers as possible. And also for science physicsandmathstutor have some good questions and resources.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by safahh
english (aqa)
math (aqa + higher)
spanish (aqa)

Hey there, I am in year 11 and this is how I revise for those subjects:
English - Since you're doing AQA there will be many videos on the types of question and texts on youtube and how to get good marks. I recommend that you watch them and take notes to help you plan your revision. For literature, making posters/mindmaps of themes and characters will be very helpful, and for language, understanding the register and style of the question should help.
Maths - Practise questions are the best way to improve in maths. If you have difficulty with a topic, maybe find the video on youtube and try to understand it, or use the revision guide. If you are aiming for grade 8/9 I would recommend you get the 8/9 workbooks from amazon as they are very helpful. Remember grade 9 questions often involve the element of spotting a certain equation or rule, so it is important that you get good at spotting these.
Science - Learn the information and do practise papers. Go over every topic to make sure you fully understand it, and make notes, flashcards and do practise questions to help. Flashcards, in particular, will be helpful when revising for tests. Practise questions/past papers are also essential, as exam technique is important in science too.
Spanish - I take Italian but the concept is exactly the same. LEARN THE VOCABULARY. Simply learning the common vocab for each topic is going to ensure you pass. For the high grades you need to make sure you know more complex grammar rules, and can construct sentences using different tenses and complex vocab. If you learn the vocab then you will do well.
There is no better type of revision than Exam Questions.
After completing questions go back and correct your answers with a different colour pen (this will make it easier to see what you already know and how you could improve)
Another thing i did was write underneath each question the reason i got it wrong highlighted with different colours e.g if i didn't know the content then i would write the word 'content' and highlight it pink or if i made a silly mistake, i would write 'SM' and highlight it yellow. If the reason why i got something wrong didn't fit these categories then i wrote the word 'practice' which was highlighted in orange.
These techniques tell you exactly what you need to improve and how to improve for each topic

Quick Reply

Latest