The Student Room Group

clare english 2021

hey guys, I've been lurking for a while and there seem to be quite a few english applicants for clare, so I thought it could be nice to have our own forum!
just the typical questions:
gcses?
a levels?
why cambridge and/or clare?
favourite author/text/genre? (we are english students after all!)
how are you feeling about the process?
best of luck everyone x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by octavia27
hey guys, I've been lurking for a while and there seem to be quite a few english applicants for clare, so I thought it could be nice to have our own forum!
gcses?
a levels?
best of luck everyone x

Hey I'm applying for English at Clare too!

I take English, History and Chinese A-Level (I'm probs not going to share my grades just because I think that I'll stress myself out by comparing myself with others hahaha).
I chose Clare because it was the only college I had the chance to see pre-Covid and I thought that the students were so friendly. Also, it's just so beautiful and I really liked the English fellow I met!!!
My favourite author is Steinbeck (I absolutely love 20th-Century American literature e.g. Morrison, Miller etc...), and my favourite text is probably East of Eden, or maybe Cyrano de Bergerac if I was to choose a play.
The process has honestly been crazy. It was alright until ELAT, which I thought I had completely failed, so it's nice to see that I didn't mess up too much.

Good luck! :yes:
Reply 2
Original post by katyasanigar
Hey I'm applying for English at Clare too!

I take English, History and Chinese A-Level (I'm probs not going to share my grades just because I think that I'll stress myself out by comparing myself with others hahaha).
I chose Clare because it was the only college I had the chance to see pre-Covid and I thought that the students were so friendly. Also, it's just so beautiful and I really liked the English fellow I met!!!
My favourite author is Steinbeck (I absolutely love 20th-Century American literature e.g. Morrison, Miller etc...), and my favourite text is probably East of Eden, or maybe Cyrano de Bergerac if I was to choose a play.
The process has honestly been crazy. It was alright until ELAT, which I thought I had completely failed, so it's nice to see that I didn't mess up too much.

Good luck! :yes:

hello!
chinese a level?! that sounds so cool, I wish my school offered more interesting languages than just french and spanish (or do you speak chinese at home?), I also take history and I love seeing how it ties in with literature. fair enough about grades, although I'm sure they're great x
I also chose clare because it seemed friendly - and it's nice to find someone else who likes 20th c literature, I really like the beat generation personally.
as you say you can't have failed the elat to have gotten this far, so well done!! I did think the theme was a bit odd haha
I hope to see you next year, good luck x
hello!
chinese a level?! that sounds so cool, I wish my school offered more interesting languages than just french and spanish (or do you speak chinese at home?), I also take history and I love seeing how it ties in with literature. fair enough about grades, although I'm sure they're great x
I also chose clare because it seemed friendly - and it's nice to find someone else who likes 20th c literature, I really like the beat generation personally.
as you say you can't have failed the elat to have gotten this far, so well done!! I did think the theme was a bit odd haha
I hope to see you next year, good luck x

My family is British-Hungarian, so I don't speak at home. I've been learning for 6 years and still can barely speak it hahaha. I love History sm too - I wrote a bunch about the crossroads between the two subjects in my PS. My EPQ looked a lot at the historical/political climate of Steinbeck's novels too!
What's your favourite text out of interest?
It's so nice to speak to someone in the same boat as me - there's only one other girl at my school applying to do English at Cambridge.
Hope to see you next year! :h:
Reply 4
My family is British-Hungarian, so I don't speak at home. I've been learning for 6 years and still can barely speak it hahaha. I love History sm too - I wrote a bunch about the crossroads between the two subjects in my PS. My EPQ looked a lot at the historical/political climate of Steinbeck's novels too!
What's your favourite text out of interest?
It's so nice to speak to someone in the same boat as me - there's only one other girl at my school applying to do English at Cambridge.
Hope to see you next year! :h:

oh that's cool, it does seem like a very beautiful language if a difficult one so hopefully the work will pay off haha
so do I - I find the political context to texts really interesting (especially banned/suppressed texts, that made up a lot of my statement haha). I also did an epq but I compared two nabokov texts and looking at the politics of power which was fun (got a bad mark because I didnt evidence the process very well, but I think the essay itself was good haha)
thats a difficult one because I honestly really enjoy medieval texts as well as modern equally, so I might cheat and choose a couple haha - I really like the dream of the rood (old english epic, more fun than it sounds) and a 20th c favourite would be henry james' the golden bowl.
I'm one of two from my school so it does get a bit lonely, but at least there seems to be a few clare applicants on here! I hope we find interview dates/times soon
oh that's cool, it does seem like a very beautiful language if a difficult one so hopefully the work will pay off haha
so do I - I find the political context to texts really interesting (especially banned/suppressed texts, that made up a lot of my statement haha). I also did an epq but I compared two nabokov texts and looking at the politics of power which was fun (got a bad mark because I didnt evidence the process very well, but I think the essay itself was good haha)
thats a difficult one because I honestly really enjoy medieval texts as well as modern equally, so I might cheat and choose a couple haha - I really like the dream of the rood (old english epic, more fun than it sounds) and a 20th c favourite would be henry james' the golden bowl.
I'm one of two from my school so it does get a bit lonely, but at least there seems to be a few clare applicants on here! I hope we find interview dates/times soon

What a coincidence - I almost wrote my EPQ on the censorship of books! Very cool to finally meet someone with the same interests as me.
Reply 6
What a coincidence - I almost wrote my EPQ on the censorship of books! Very cool to finally meet someone with the same interests as me.

really?! wow, it is definitely nice to find someone like me haha
fingers crossed we both get in now x
gcses?
a levels?
best of luck everyone x

Hey I'm applying to Clare too!

I take English lit, History and Maths A level (although Maths is a big regret haha)
I had a really hard time choosing a college as I only had the chance to visit Robinson pre covid and I didn't really like it, but what drew me to Clare was how friendly it seemed and how beautiful the gardens are, plus the English faculty seems like a lovely little close-knit community.
Favourite text would definitely be Rebecca, I did my coursework on it and it's such an amazing novel and would highly recommend to anyone who hasn't read yet! Also, I'm very interested in feminism within literature and wrote about this in my personal statement.
I'm feeling okay so far about the process, although I think my personal statement could have been better and my ELAT was far from perfect but I'm hoping to make up for that in the interview.

Best of luck to everyone and hopefully see you guys there next year :smile:
Reply 8
gcses?
a levels?
best of luck everyone x

Hi, I'm applying for English at Clare too!

I do English Lit, Philosophy and Geography (I really regret Geography though and really wish I did History or Sociology). I chose Clare mostly by instinct from virtual tours and hearing good things about it on various platforms - also David Attenborough lol! I really love Victorian Literature and I am so sad that my A level course doesn't have any texts from this period. I am doing an EPQ on the differing portrayals of gender between male and female authors in Victorian Literature to make up for it though! I'm really not sure how I feel my ELAT went - I just don't feel like I can judge how I feel about it idk if that even makes sense oops. I am so nervous for my interview but also quite excited because the thought of discussing texts with an academic is so cool!

Good Luck everyone! xx
Hey has anyone heard anything about the date for their interview - I'm worried as they said it could be as early as the 7th and it's already the 2nd and they haven't informed me when it is yet!
Hey has anyone heard anything about the date for their interview - I'm worried as they said it could be as early as the 7th and it's already the 2nd and they haven't informed me when it is yet!

Nope - I'm still waiting too! I really hope they tell us soon because they said they would tell us early this week and I don't think Thursday counts in that! Come on Clare!!
Original post by Monica42
Nope - I'm still waiting too! I really hope they tell us soon because they said they would tell us early this week and I don't think Thursday counts in that! Come on Clare!!

I was talking to someone on the main Clare forum who said it seems that they are sending out invites exactly a week before. So I guess that would mean that ours are just the 9th onwards? Fingers crossed that's the case!!
I was talking to someone on the main Clare forum who said it seems that they are sending out invites exactly a week before. So I guess that would mean that ours are just the 9th onwards? Fingers crossed that's the case!!

Ahh ok - I hope so! Thanks.
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to say best of luck for all your interviews! I'm studying English at Clare at the moment and all the fellows who will interview are really lovely. Just try and enjoy the process (as much as you can!)
Hi just to hop on here and introduce myself.
I'm studying English Literature, English Language and History.

I have a love of Shakespeare but who doesn't, lol. At the moment though I'm really enjoying Victorian literature.

Just to let people know who haven't received dates for their interview. I found out on the 3rd that my interview is on the 9th. I have two separate interviews at different times as well just to let people know.
Hello everyone, nice to find "our" thread! I had my interviews yesterday and really enjoyed them (hopefully this isn't a bad sign), how is everyone feeling?
I've got my interview later today, I'm feeling quite nervous but also excited as I feel like regardless of the outcome it's such a valuable experience :smile:
Original post by madisonnevee
I've got my interview later today, I'm feeling quite nervous but also excited as I feel like regardless of the outcome it's such a valuable experience :smile:

Good luck! That's the attitude I went in with, I'm sure you'll be just fine
Hello all! Nice to meet you :smile:

gcses? 8877777544
a levels? A*A*A* in English Literature, Psychology and Drama
why cambridge and/or clare? It's so prestigious and beautiful and I like that Clare is quite central.
favourite author/text/genre? (we are english students after all!) I really like postmodernism!
how are you feeling about the process? Okay, just nervous now.

How did everyone find their interviews? Mine seemed too nice!

Good luck to all! :crossedf:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hannahrob28
Hi just to hop on here and introduce myself.
I'm studying English Literature, English Language and History.

I have a love of Shakespeare but who doesn't, lol. At the moment though I'm really enjoying Victorian literature.

Just to let people know who haven't received dates for their interview. I found out on the 3rd that my interview is on the 9th. I have two separate interviews at different times as well just to let people know.

Hi, we're nearly subject twins! I just took Theatre too :tongue: It's nice to find someone else studying English Language!

Hope you're feeling okay ahead of January :smile:
El

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending