The Student Room Group

English Speech

Hi!So i have to do my speech soon and i chose Animal Testing. I was hoping if you are kind enough to read through it and tell me what you think or what i could add or improve on. If you have any ideas or anything to add please feel free to tell me, much appreciated, thanks!

Today I am going to be speaking about Animal Testing.
To start off I want you to imagine you were the one being tested on. Now I want you to imagine your skin being torn off alive. Imagine being drugged and burnt alive, imagine even losing your life just so you can satisfy other species. Doesn’t sound fun does it? Many of you ask what animal cruelty is. Animal cruelty is the act of violence against animals, testing them just so us humans can undergo their normal lives. Over 100 million animals are burned, crippled, poisoned, and abused in US labs every year. Ask yourselves what more important mascara or a living organism. They live, they breathe, they have their own mind just like us, they have feelings and a heart. So what makes us better than them? What gives us the right to take their life away? And Are we murderers too? I stand before you today to make you all aware of how appalling thi savage brutality really is and why it MUST be stopped. What do you think of when I say the words animal abuse? You probably just think of violence being inflicted on an animal or neglecting that animal by leaving it in the cold but animal cruelty just more than that. People are making animals fight each other until one of them are killed while suffering an unbearable death, just for their entertainment. Animals are being slaughtered in the most painful ways just so we can enjoy a delicious meal.

Each year thousands of young and healthy Greyhounds are killed because they lack racing potential or have been injured while racing and no longer competitive. Did you just hear what I just said? These innocent healthy dogs are being killed simply for lacking fitness level.Statistics show that 12,569 animals are being cruelly tested every day in Australia alone. Raise your hand if you have a dog. Well 65% of those numbers are dogs. Imagine your dog, who is like your best friend being forced to fight another dog, having its ears torn off, its leg ripped off while it screams, welp out in fear and pain, calling for you to help but you can’t do nothing but sit and watch. Society don’t realise how serious animal testing is, people are testing animals for their selfish selves. Animal testing happens worldwide and people are only influencing it. Worldwide at least 22 animals die every second in labs due to animal testing. The makeup brand that some of you are wearing right now probably test on animals on a daily basis. Some examples of popular makeup brands that DO test on animals still in 2020 are: L’Oreal, MAC, Benefit, Maybelline. If you use some of these brands you may want to reconsider and change to using: NYX cosmetics, Lush, The body shop, Marc Jacobs beauty - these are some examples of cruelty free makeup brands you need to invest in.

Animal testers seem to think that humans are superior to everyone and we’re the only ones who deserve to live on this planet. Right now millions of rats, mice, rabbits, cats, dogs, and many other animals are locked inside cold, barren cages in laboratories across the country. They languish in pain, ache with loneliness and long to be free. However instead they have to sit and wait in fear of the next terrifying and painful procedure that will be performed on them. Animals are not ours to experiment on, eat, wear, use for entertainment or abuse in any way. Animal cruelty should be abolished!!

In todays society we talk and fight about equality yet these animals don’t get a say in what they want and their freedom, animals don’t get the privileges us humans have and that needs to change. Animal cruelty must be abolished!!
great topic! and it does read very well but i would bare in mind as it is a speech you don't want to just read something off a paper. i acc did this for my english speaking assessment (which i presume that this is ?) - it did go well but it definitely isn't what a speech is. it is better to have cue cards with a few bullet points and then use these and make your points . this allows u to engage more with the audience and keep eye contact .

i do like your speech tho . for me, there are too many rhetorical questions which aren't needed . i also think it would be good to add in at the start why you chose your topic and if there is some personal relevance to u maybe …?
regarding the make-up brand bit to sympathise with ur audience more you could talk about some of the pros of using the brands that test on animals (e.g maybe cheaper?) but they talk about how the positives (not testing) outweigh the negatives. you could also add in here how you have changed the make-up brands you use bc of this, again relating to the audience

just a few points, good luck !! :smile:
This is a good start. To improve a bit further on this I suggest adding persuasive language and also try to use some really hard hitting facts etc that make you feel empathy and think in addition. To push your answer further towards a grade nine or a top quality response that is what you need to do to it.
Good luck. Use your class notes as fodder for your task. It will make it much easier generally speaking here. See if you can find some numbers or quotes online that lend weight and substance to your answer as well. Put all of the information into your own words. Also you could briefly touch on a few different effective ways to help out in addition for example donating time or cash to UK animal protection charities for instance.
I hope that this feedback is useful to you. Having read your entire assignment I would personally award it a grade five at least for trying. One final recommendation I would like to make here which is to consider the reader and how they might feel upon reading it. Just my two cents.
Your speech is excellent but I recommend adding things like an anecdote e.g. you could talk about a time you went to the shops and looked at products which certified they were not tested on animals and how that made you feel. You could include facts but also state where you got them from or found them, try to add some persuasive language and stuff like list of 3 or repetition. Remember to also use opinions and personal pronouns.
For example Body Shop or Boots
Original post by Rohan15
Your speech is excellent but I recommend adding things like an anecdote e.g. you could talk about a time you went to the shops and looked at products which certified they were not tested on animals and how that made you feel. You could include facts but also state where you got them from or found them, try to add some persuasive language and stuff like list of 3 or repetition. Remember to also use opinions and personal pronouns.

thank you!!
Original post by c1student
great topic! and it does read very well but i would bare in mind as it is a speech you don't want to just read something off a paper. i acc did this for my english speaking assessment (which i presume that this is ?) - it did go well but it definitely isn't what a speech is. it is better to have cue cards with a few bullet points and then use these and make your points . this allows u to engage more with the audience and keep eye contact .

i do like your speech tho . for me, there are too many rhetorical questions which aren't needed . i also think it would be good to add in at the start why you chose your topic and if there is some personal relevance to u maybe …?
regarding the make-up brand bit to sympathise with ur audience more you could talk about some of the pros of using the brands that test on animals (e.g maybe cheaper?) but they talk about how the positives (not testing) outweigh the negatives. you could also add in here how you have changed the make-up brands you use bc of this, again relating to the audience

thank you!!
Original post by tinygirl96
For example Body Shop or Boots

Thanks !
Original post by c1student

Thank you!!
Original post by tinygirl96
This is a good start. To improve a bit further on this I suggest adding persuasive language and also try to use some really hard hitting facts etc that make you feel empathy and think in addition. To push your answer further towards a grade nine or a top quality response that is what you need to do to it.
Good luck. Use your class notes as fodder for your task. It will make it much easier generally speaking here. See if you can find some numbers or quotes online that lend weight and substance to your answer as well. Put all of the information into your own words. Also you could briefly touch on a few different effective ways to help out in addition for example donating time or cash to UK animal protection charities for instance.
I hope that this feedback is useful to you. Having read your entire assignment I would personally award it a grade five at least for trying. One final recommendation I would like to make here which is to consider the reader and how they might feel upon reading it. Just my two cents.

Thank you!!
no problem

Quick Reply

Latest