The Student Room Group

What is your favourite Christmas carol?

We probably won't get to sing carols in church this year but we can still share our favourites!

The question is, which one is your favourite? As a Cambridge student, Carols from King's is something I always try to watch on Christmas Eve but I'm usually a bit underwhelmed by the carol choices.

Please also feel free to share a video of your favourite song, which you can do by embedding from YouTube.

How to embed from YouTube

NB: Christmas carols and Christmas songs are two different things! I'd love to also hear your favourite non-religious songs but please suggest them here!
Various
O Little Town of Bethlehem

In the bleak mid winter is beautiful, Its not my go-to if I want to get people feeling cheerful and in the Christmas spirit, but it is a beautiful piece of music:

For a more standard sing-a-long, I like:

And a bonus one for the music buffs.. John Tavener's The Lamb, is probably the most fascinating carol out there. It's hauntingly beautiful in places, when the melodies come together in certain combinations. Its a minimalist composition that derives from a string of seven notes, combined, reversed, layered, spliced in all different combinations. Hence you get some combinations that are quite discorded, and others that are beautiful.

(It used to be on the ALevel syllabus years ago, not sure if it still is)
Fave one is 'O Come All Ye Faithful'. Been listening to this version quite a bit recently :danceboy:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Fave one is 'O Come All Ye Faithful'. Been listening to this version quite a bit recently :danceboy:

My fav too, but I like this one :biggrin:

o come all ye faithful and o come o come Emmanuel :yep:
Vorderman :yep:

Original post by Andrew97
Muppet.

Screenshot_20201130-205636_Facebook-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Spoiler

To vaguely get this thread back on track: do not besmirch Nativity! like that.
Reply 15
silent night
Going to come in with this one. Frustratingly there don't seem to be any musical versions with the (perhaps original?) Cornish lyrics.

Quick Reply

Latest