The Student Room Group

Tampons

Can anybody remember the first time they used a tampon? I tried today for the first time and it hurt putting it in and then I could feel it as I was moving and doing things I needed to do and it was really uncomfortable so I took it out. Is this normal? I’ve only ever used pads before and wanted to try tampons but was too scared to because I thought my flow was too light but this time it has been much heavier so thought I’d give it a go.
Is it meant to hurt that much or not?

Scroll to see replies

It might hurt to begin with but it shouldn’t for too long. It should also feel comfortable. If it feels uncomfortable, it’s most likely not in the right position
I personally don’t use tampons because I’m just not comfortable with the idea but this is coming from what my mum has told me when we had a chat. I hope this helps :h:
I used the tampax pearl with the applicator so I inserted it like it said on the instructions, all the way up to the grip so I’m not sure how I could have done it wrong
I that doesn’t mean you’ve done it wrong, more that you’re body is uncomfortable with the position. It’s different for everyone
Could it be because I’m still a virgin and the muscles could still be really tight? When I get to the grips on the applicator it feels like it is getting pushed out of my vagina
when i first tried it , it did hurt for a bit and i was worrying if it was gonna fall out as i was in the pool and i got my sister to stand behind me at all times to make sure it didn't come out. so stupid of me haha. I honestly was scared if it came out when I was on the slides and kept going to the toilet every ten minutes to check it was still there 😂
yes, it's totally normal to hurt especially when it's your first time trying them - it shouldn't hurt for too long.
if it does end up hurting and if you do have a light flow, try getting smaller tampons.
or perhaps wet the plastic so it is easier to insert if you do have trouble putting it in as it might be painful.
Make sure you can't see it only the string a little .
Just keep practising putting it in to reduce the pain.
hope this helps x
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
At first I was EXTREMELY confused to how deep it should go and that was my main problem. First time I tried it I put it in and some of it was still out, so I took it out. I tried a couple of times but it felt weird, so one day I was like f*** it and shoved it in. Thing is I do not like to use the ones with applicators for life, idk, I just learnt to do it without one. And it’s better for the environment lol.

So my tip is

Make sure you can’t see the tampon, and that you can’t feel it.

Don’t worry, it won’t get lost in you

Make sure you tug lightly st the string before putting it in to check if the tampon is secure at to make sure it won’t detach from the string when pulling out

If you do it without an applicator, you should push it in as far as half of your finger
*update
I put one in about 10 minutes ago and I can still feel it in me and it is a bit uncomfortable still but I can’t see it. I changed the angle I put it in at but I’m just scared now incase I can’t get it out once it has expanded
Original post by chloe.tasker
*update
I put one in about 10 minutes ago and I can still feel it in me and it is a bit uncomfortable still but I can’t see it. I changed the angle I put it in at but I’m just scared now incase I can’t get it out once it has expanded

Take deep breaths .
Don't worry, you're doing great. It won't get stuck x
hey!

yes my first time I used a tampon it really hurt! over time you get used to it and it’s easier, however don’t feel you have to use tampons!

i personally am more comfortable using pads rather than tampons! if you’re the same, then stick to pads!
*update

I've never known of anyone struggling to remove a tampon. As for the pain it may be that your flow is too light or you may just not be used to it
*update

You shouldn’t really feel it that much. Sit on the toilet and spread your legs. Take a deep breath in and when you exhale push the tampon right in and you should be able to feel the string (so you could pull it out if & when you need to). Walk around for a bit and it might feel unusual at first but and it’s natural to feel a bit more aware of it because it’s all new but if it is painful or you don’t like it, take it out and try another time. I know people who have never used tampons in their life so don’t feel pressured to. You can always try next time. Gd luck :smile:
How long would you say to keep it in for as a minimum before I try to take it out
Really however whenever you no longer feel comfortable
I had to take it out before because it felt like it was coming out. It hurt taking it out but could that be because my flow wasn’t heavy enough to make it wet? Honestly going to give up at this rate
I had to take it out before because it felt like it was coming out. It hurt taking it out but could that be because my flow wasn’t heavy enough to make it wet? Honestly going to give up at this rate

probably a light flow or because you're still getting used to it. it may take time.
i honestly think you should get smaller tampons, perhaps.
how often do you have to change it? if every 2 hours then it's normal and if more than that then it's probably a light flow.
try smaller ones. might help :smile:
How long would you say to keep it in for as a minimum before I try to take it out

well, it does depend on your flow.
if obviously heavy then you might have to every hour or so (like me)
but if it's fine then around 2-3 hours.
i don't think tampons are supposed to stay in for a long long time.
if it's light maybe 3-4 hours , do whatever makes you feel comfortable. i promise you , it will be easier wearing them.
Reply 18
Tampons can be uncomfortable for some so many women dont use them. Likewise many prefer them. Thats the great thing about having so many varieties in feminine products, you're able to find what works best and is most comfortable for you. I wouldnt stress over it if you dont like them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Tampons always hurt me, got a cup and it's so easy and like I'm not on my period at all, also you don't have to take it out for 12 hours, life changer!

Quick Reply

Latest