The Student Room Group

Best Unis for Business Entrepreneurship and Innovation

Hi all, I'd like to know which unis are best for the entrepreneurship and innovation course (undergrad 2021). I've had a look at most unis but they're either not in the best location for vibrant student life (as I am an int prospect student) or part of the Russel group. I've also looked at the entry requirements for most unis and I'm currently battling between Aston, OB, NTU, Surrey, Reading and Strathclyde. Although, I hear Strathclyde has a really low acceptance rate...please advice on which unis are best for me to apply to. Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Zorra
Hi all, I'd like to know which unis are best for the entrepreneurship and innovation course (undergrad 2021). I've had a look at most unis but they're either not in the best location for vibrant student life (as I am an int prospect student) or part of the Russel group. I've also looked at the entry requirements for most unis and I'm currently battling between Aston, OB, NTU, Surrey, Reading and Strathclyde. Although, I hear Strathclyde has a really low acceptance rate...please advice on which unis are best for me to apply to. Thanks!

Moved to the business forum :smile:
Original post by Zorra

Hi Zorra,

Hope you're doing well! I would have to be a little bias and say Reading Uni. Whilst I personally don't study entrepreneurship and innovation I feel like I've really enjoyed my student life so far and the support given to me outside of my degree. I've had the opportunity to take part in thrive mentoring where you get partnered up with a mentor from the industry you are interested in. In addition to this, I've been able to access careers mentoring which I've found very useful.

Delia and James study Business Management which is closely related and also taught from Henly Business School so you might find it useful to talk to them about the course.

Delia: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-reading/buddies/students/5d07afdbb5e1f7005af096ca?buddyPosition=share

James https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-reading/buddies/students/5ea7092a86a98005a7443b77?buddyPosition=share

Academics aside, Reading Uni has a vibrant social scene and I've had the opportunity to attend many different societies and meet lots of new friends! The campus is also stunning and I've been finding it really nice to walk around especially now!

Hope this helps you and if you have any questions feel free to let us know!
From,

Amina 😊
Reply 3
Original post by UniofReading
Hi Zorra,

Hope you're doing well! I would have to be a little bias and say Reading Uni. Whilst I personally don't study entrepreneurship and innovation I feel like I've really enjoyed my student life so far and the support given to me outside of my degree. I've had the opportunity to take part in thrive mentoring where you get partnered up with a mentor from the industry you are interested in. In addition to this, I've been able to access careers mentoring which I've found very useful.

Delia and James study Business Management which is closely related and also taught from Henly Business School so you might find it useful to talk to them about the course.

Delia: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-reading/buddies/students/5d07afdbb5e1f7005af096ca?buddyPosition=share

James https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-reading/buddies/students/5ea7092a86a98005a7443b77?buddyPosition=share

Academics aside, Reading Uni has a vibrant social scene and I've had the opportunity to attend many different societies and meet lots of new friends! The campus is also stunning and I've been finding it really nice to walk around especially now!

Hope this helps you and if you have any questions feel free to let us know!
From,

Amina 😊

Hi Amina,

Thank you for sharing, I'll definitely reach out to them!
Original post by Zorra

Hi there,

I believe Aston offers entrepreneurship as a postgraduate course rather than an undergraduate. However, we do offer Business Enterprise Development as an undergraduate course which is pretty similar with learning opportunities and assessments built around three key pillars:

- Enterprise management and growth.
- Team performance and leadership.
- Innovation and entrepreneurialism.

Aston is located in Birmingham which is not only a vibrant city but the UK's most entrepreneurial region (Start Up Britain). The careers and placements team also organise multiple careers fairs across the year which will afford you many networking opportunities with over 200 employers and professionals to gain useful contacts. One great thing about the course is that it doesn't just develop you as an entrepreneur but it is also a great course if you are looking to become an ‘intrapreneur’ working for a company that assesses and promotes innovative product development and marketing, for instance.

Aston Business School is amongst the top 1 per cent of business schools in the world to have triple accreditation from AACSB, EQUIS, and AMBA, the leading accreditation bodies for business schools in the UK, US, and Europe.

As well as fantastic course content you’ll benefit from the business incubator located on campus. BSEEN (Birmingham Skills for Enterprise and Employability Network) offers workshops, tailored business support and grants to students and graduates embarking on new business ventures. Our extensive industry links can also provide you with mentoring opportunities.

I hope this has been useful

*Ethel
Reply 5
Original post by Aston University
Hi there,

I believe Aston offers entrepreneurship as a postgraduate course rather than an undergraduate. However, we do offer Business Enterprise Development as an undergraduate course which is pretty similar with learning opportunities and assessments built around three key pillars:

- Enterprise management and growth.
- Team performance and leadership.
- Innovation and entrepreneurialism.

Aston is located in Birmingham which is not only a vibrant city but the UK's most entrepreneurial region (Start Up Britain). The careers and placements team also organise multiple careers fairs across the year which will afford you many networking opportunities with over 200 employers and professionals to gain useful contacts. One great thing about the course is that it doesn't just develop you as an entrepreneur but it is also a great course if you are looking to become an ‘intrapreneur’ working for a company that assesses and promotes innovative product development and marketing, for instance.

Aston Business School is amongst the top 1 per cent of business schools in the world to have triple accreditation from AACSB, EQUIS, and AMBA, the leading accreditation bodies for business schools in the UK, US, and Europe.

As well as fantastic course content you’ll benefit from the business incubator located on campus. BSEEN (Birmingham Skills for Enterprise and Employability Network) offers workshops, tailored business support and grants to students and graduates embarking on new business ventures. Our extensive industry links can also provide you with mentoring opportunities.

I hope this has been useful

*Ethel

Hi Ethel!

Thank you for your message. My apologies for the delayed reply.
I attended a virtual open day, and I was really satisfied with the course presentations and feedback from the lecturers and students!
Birmingham seems lovely.
Original post by Zorra

Hi @Zorra,
I hope you're doing well. I'm Elena, a second year Business Management student at Surrey. I've chosen to study Business with Marketing instead of Entrepreneurship, but I have chosen Social Entrepreneurship as one of my modules this semester and it's honestly great. It's a really interesting module as the lecturer I have delivers it in a really engaging way. We can always ask lots of questions during the seminars and get involved in discussions. The teaching team is also really friendly and helpful both in person or via emails or zoom meetings.

I know you said you'll do an undergrad course next year, but if you think you'll want to do a postgraduate degree in the future, Surrey also offers an Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management MSc.

As for the student life, everything has changed because of Covid but I am proud to be part of the Surrey community. Our Union managed to create a large covid-safe space called The Marquee. It's got a stage and had DJs a couple nights a week pre-lockdown. They even serve food and drinks. I hope it opens back up again after Christmas if Covid measures allow it, because I really want to go! Last year I loved going to the Union nightclub on campus which is operating as a pub this year when the restrictions allow it. Guildford (the town Surrey is in) does have a lot of pubs and some nightclubs, and London is really close too so that just means more options for going out.

Surrey has more than 150 clubs and societies which you can find here, so there's bound to be something for you!

I hope that was insightful! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Elena
Business Management
Original post by Zorra
Hi Ethel!

Thank you for your message. My apologies for the delayed reply.
I attended a virtual open day, and I was really satisfied with the course presentations and feedback from the lecturers and students!
Birmingham seems lovely.

Hi there,

I'm glad you loved the open day, if you have any further questions feel free to get in touch. I may not respond immediately but you will get a response. Birmingham really is lovely it has a lot to offer and I hope you'll get to experience student life here, I know I've loved every minute of it.

*Ethel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending