The Student Room Group

5th UCAS choice for Dentistry/Medicine

Hi guys

I’m a year 9 student hoping to study Dentistry at uni. I am just interested in what Dentistry/Med applicants put as their 5th UCAS choice and why. Please share!

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying to med and put pharmacy as my 5th option, as an alternative career pathway that may also allow me to do medicine.
Original post by Chowderzzz
I'm applying to med and put pharmacy as my 5th option, as an alternative career pathway that may also allow me to do medicine.

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your application!
Optometry.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Optometry.

Nice. Thanks for sharing
nothing :wink:
Original post by stereotypeasian
nothing :wink:

Interesting. So you only put 4 choices then?
Original post by Buddingdentist08
Interesting. So you only put 4 choices then?

:yep:
:yep:

Wow. Ur probs so smart. I’ll need a back up lol
Wow. Ur probs so smart. I’ll need a back up lol

nah my UCAT was just above average, didn't even try the BMAT and there's two Bs in my overall results....... I'm waiting to see how the application turns out and if I lose my offers I'll try clearing/extra when it occurs when I need it ; also I applied to medicine which has a greater chance if clearing than dentistry and if I'm really desperate to go to uni on any course then I'll see what biomed/medical science/pharmacy etc. is in clearing
cause it is what it is
nah my UCAT was just above average, didn't even try the BMAT and there's two Bs in my overall results....... I'm waiting to see how the application turns out and if I lose my offers I'll try clearing/extra when it occurs when I need it ; also I applied to medicine which has a greater chance if clearing than dentistry and if I'm really desperate to go to uni on any course then I'll see what biomed/medical science/pharmacy etc. is in clearing
cause it is what it is

Oh ok. Makes sense. Thx again
Hi guys

I’m a year 9 student hoping to study Dentistry at uni. I am just interested in what Dentistry/Med applicants put as their 5th UCAS choice and why. Please share!

I'm applying for medicine and put down biomedical science as my fifth. If you feel like you won't take the fifth choice even if you don't get into medicine/dentistry (i.e. you'll take a gap year and reapply the following academic cycle), you could always put down something a bit more wacky. I know one guy who put down agricultural studies or something as his fifth.
Don’t think that applies to dentistry. Everyone I know put a back up option including myself (and I had mine firmed).

As far as I know, dentistry isn’t in clearing (I definitely haven’t seen it on clearing before) - this is because dentistry works using waiting lists, so some rejected applicants who are still deemed to be good enough are put on a waiting list after the UCAS response deadline and may be offered a place on results day if other offer holders have failed to meet the requirements.
Yh interesting to see what people’s plans are
Think that’s a given when you said it about medicine :lol:
Some people might not want to reapply after being rejected and have no intention of graduate entry. Depends on the applicant I suppose.

But yes, if it’s dentistry/ medicine or nothing, then agree with the recommendation.
It’s a gruelling and tiring process in all honesty, there’s only so much energy you can put into something before you decide you’re better off doing something else, especially if the odds aren’t in your favour :dontknow:
I know! I’ve heard about someone applying to medicine 6 times only to be rejected 6 times...that’s some dedication.
I know which user you’re talking about, that must be so frustrating.
I know someone who’s tried several times for GEM but their GAMSAT was never good enough so they’re now trying for PA...
Now a rejection in that scenario would be very frustrating.

Moral of the story: if you have your heart set on med/dent, avoid GEM/GED if possible - ecolier’s motto (agreed by Meso).

Quick Reply

Latest