The Student Room Group

Statistics Question

Hi, could someone help me with these questions?

1) In a vending machine, the capacity of cups is normally distributed, with mean 200cm^3 and standard deviation 4cm^3. The volume of coffee discharged per cup is normally distributed, with mean 190 and standard deviation 5. Find the percentage of drinks that overflow.

2) On a distant island, the heights of men and
women may both be taken to be normally distributed with means 173 and 165 and standard deviations 10 and 8.
Find the probability that a random chosen woman is taller than a randomly chosen man.
Reply 1
Original post by pugpuppy111
Hi, could someone help me with these questions?

1) In a vending machine, the capacity of cups is normally distributed, with mean 200cm^3 and standard deviation 4cm^3. The volume of coffee discharged per cup is normally distributed, with mean 190 and standard deviation 5. Find the percentage of drinks that overflow.

2) On a distant island, the heights of men and
women may both be taken to be normally distributed with means 173 and 165 and standard deviations 10 and 8.
Find the probability that a random chosen woman is taller than a randomly chosen man.

Have you though of taking the sum or difference of the two random variables?
So for the second
woman - man > 0,
Original post by mqb2766
Have you though of taking the sum or difference of the two random variables?
So for the second
woman - man > 0,

I did exactly that and solved my own problem just a few minutes after posting this :smile: sometimes anxiety just clouds logic, with a levels round the corner i freaked out at really a simple question. Anyways, thanks for replying

Quick Reply

Latest