The Student Room Group

GCSE history AQA - league of nations (usa) question- help

‘The main reason why the League of Nations could not stop aggression in the 1930s was because the USA was not a member.’
Original post by bobbytimpson
‘The main reason why the League of Nations could not stop aggression in the 1930s was because the USA was not a member.’

any help with how I can structure this or which arguments I could use against/for - would be amazing!!
Reply 2
Original post by bobbytimpson

heyy im not sure which board you do but since I do cie, I'll tell you how I would answer this:

‘The main reason why the League of Nations could not stop aggression in the 1930s was because the USA was not a member.’ how far do you agree with this statement? explain your answer. [10 marks]

intro- LON found on the 10th jan 1920, it faced numerous difficulties as the league had no army, the council was far too euro-centric, the great depression mad the world of the league difficult and also, because the USA, the world-s superpower at that time, was not involved in the league.

para 1 yes- USA was very powerful and could've prevented disputes as it was rich and had a strong army

para 2 yes- as the league was Woodrow Wilson's idea (USA president), his own country not joining was a sort of embarrassment and humiliation

para 3 no- league had no army, it was only relying on simply the countries' good intentions. if there had been an army, the disputes would've been easily resolved

para 4 no- the structure of the league was cumbersome, council co sisted of UK Italy France and japan which were the permanent members. obviously, 3/4 of the council was euro-centric and that meant 'less developed' nations won't be heard and would be ignored.

conclusion- agree or not, why and how far

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending