The Student Room Group

Predicted ACC, requirement BBB

Hello. I am currently studying geography, biology and economics. I am predicted ACC in those orders. And I want to apply to uni with grade requirement of mostly BBB

I really want to go to Glasgow to study geography, grade requirement of BBB-BCC but a 5 in maths gcse. I was extremely poorly during my gcse, receiving a 4 in maths and didn’t not do well at all in my GCSE but I’m hoping my doctors note will help me get into Glasgow uni, besides the point tho.

For uni of Reading and Nottingham Trent I need a BBB also these unis does not do UCAS tariffs. I worked out that an ACC is equivalent to a BBC. I am unsure if unis will look at my trades and see the trade offs between it. As I’m receiving 2 C, I feel that uni Reading and Trent will automatically decline me.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Asian.not.smart
Hello. I am currently studying geography, biology and economics. I am predicted ACC in those orders. And I want to apply to uni with grade requirement of mostly BBB

I really want to go to Glasgow to study geography, grade requirement of BBB-BCC but a 5 in maths gcse. I was extremely poorly during my gcse, receiving a 4 in maths and didn’t not do well at all in my GCSE but I’m hoping my doctors note will help me get into Glasgow uni, besides the point tho.

For uni of Reading and Nottingham Trent I need a BBB also these unis does not do UCAS tariffs. I worked out that an ACC is equivalent to a BBC. I am unsure if unis will look at my trades and see the trade offs between it. As I’m receiving 2 C, I feel that uni Reading and Trent will automatically decline me.

You could try asking your teachers if they could bring your grades up as you're really interested in that particular course? Maybe show them that you are capable of achieving the B - show them your notes (organised), if you've done a past paper show them. You need to show your teachers that you're willing to put in the effort as it is your passion to go to uni. You still have time as the deadline is on 15th January. Do you have mini topic assessments coming up? If you do, work hard, achieve the grade, and then fight your case.
I have read Nottingham Trent university and it states that it gives out offers that are 2 grades lower than the expected grades, so should be alright. Not too sure on the other unis, read their individual information

If you dont meet a Maths GCSE requirement it is usually a rejection. This is requested due to the Mathematical nature of the course. It would be worth resitting GCSE Maths and showing it as pending.

As far as ACC predictions for a BBB course there is a very good chance you will get an offer. Most universities accept students might do better than their predicted grades so make offers to allow for that. Also most universities accept students with a 1 or 2 grade drop on results day. You have a good chance of getting an offer but it will likely be BBB.

Hey @Asian.not.smart,

So, applications to Reading Uni are looked at a case by case basis and some people do get in with lower grades than what is stated on the website. I would say you can't know yet until you apply so I would go for it! If you still want perhaps some further clarification you can ask here https://www.reading.ac.uk/forms/crm/question.aspx

Hope this helps and feel free to let us know if you have any other questions!
From,

Amina 😊
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @Asian.not.smart,

So, applications to Reading Uni are looked at a case by case basis and some people do get in with lower grades than what is stated on the website. I would say you can't know yet until you apply so I would go for it! If you still want perhaps some further clarification you can ask here https://www.reading.ac.uk/forms/crm/question.aspx

Hope this helps and feel free to let us know if you have any other questions!
From,

Amina 😊

Hey, I was also wondering about contextual offers. Does Reading only give out contextual offers to those meet the grade requirements? On the website I t says that grades can/ will be lowered if i put Reading as my firm or insurance, which is what I’m planning todo. But as Reading will be a uni that I’m applying to which the grade requirement is above my predicted grades. Will I still get contextual offers for grades to be lowered and other factors such as my postcode will affect this as I have not met their requirements?
Hey, I was also wondering about contextual offers. Does Reading only give out contextual offers to those meet the grade requirements? On the website I t says that grades can/ will be lowered if i put Reading as my firm or insurance, which is what I’m planning todo. But as Reading will be a uni that I’m applying to which the grade requirement is above my predicted grades. Will I still get contextual offers for grades to be lowered and other factors such as my postcode will affect this as I have not met their requirements?

Hey @Asian.not.smart

Reading do offer contextual offers and factors such as postcode will be taken into consideration. You can find out more on the website, where they break down what offer you can expect and how to ensure your application is considered under the correct context.
http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/what-offer-will-i-get.aspx

I hope this helps
Zoe
Second year Biological Sciences and student ambassador

Unless you have a validated extenuating circumstance you would likely be rejected if you dont meet the minimum GCSE criteria.
I would say a course asking BBB to BCC probably isnt too competitive so you could definitely apply (along with a balanced selection in your 5 choices).

But you should contact their admissions to see if theyll consider your GCSEs as I think an automatic rejection is likely and as such its best not to waste an application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending