The Student Room Group

Will universities know that I've already been to uni for a week (please read)

So my situation is I went to uni this year (Sept 2020) but dropped out after a week. I literally attended 1 "lecture" (zoom call) but several factors, mainly the terrible university and COVID, made me drop out very quickly. Now I don't want to include this on my UCAS application because it would just cause several issues for reasons, but here is the situation:

- I did not get student finance for this year (I did apply but very late and it still wasn't granted when I dropped out so I cancelled the application)
- I did not even apply through UCAS to this uni (it was a direct clearing application)

For those 2 reasons, as far as I can tell, unis shouldn't be able to tell that I went to this uni, I mean there's 0 evidence of it as far as I can tell, unless there's something else I'm missing? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.
Honesty is the best policy , in the era of IT hiding information is impossible one should never hide as well, it would be always best to explain your genuine reason or problem which may have hindered you continuing your uni last year , pls note that brain is very complex organ & doesn't perform normal under certain circumstances, who knows even same university may re-consider u back if u r determined now.
Reply 2
Original post by Derk121
Honesty is the best policy , in the era of IT hiding information is impossible one should never hide as well, it would be always best to explain your genuine reason or problem which may have hindered you continuing your uni last year , pls note that brain is very complex organ & doesn't perform normal under certain circumstances, who knows even same university may re-consider u back if u r determined now.

I'm not really interested in having to explain why I dropped out, I honestly don't even feel like what I got was a university experience at all (socially or academically) I mean for Gods sake I only had one zoom call lol. Honestly I just want to know if there's any way they can find out given my circumstances (no UCAS or student finance application)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not really interested in having to explain why I dropped out, I honestly don't even feel like what I got was a university experience at all (socially or academically) I mean for Gods sake I only had one zoom call lol. Honestly I just want to know if there's any way they can find out given my circumstances (no UCAS or student finance application)

Sorry in such case I am sorry I am unable to help you - apologies please.
Reply 4
Anyone?
Reply 5
Now I don't want to include this on my UCAS application because it would just cause several issues for reasons, but here is the situation:

What issues do you think it will cause?

It really isn't unusual for people to go to university and drop out within the first couple of weeks.
So my situation is I went to uni this year (Sept 2020) but dropped out after a week. I literally attended 1 "lecture" (zoom call) but several factors, mainly the terrible university and COVID, made me drop out very quickly. Now I don't want to include this on my UCAS application because it would just cause several issues for reasons, but here is the situation:

- I did not get student finance for this year (I did apply but very late and it still wasn't granted when I dropped out so I cancelled the application)
- I did not even apply through UCAS to this uni (it was a direct clearing application)

For those 2 reasons, as far as I can tell, unis shouldn't be able to tell that I went to this uni, I mean there's 0 evidence of it as far as I can tell, unless there's something else I'm missing? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.

Hi, I can answer this. Yes, they can identify this. (No, I’m not going to detail how.)

There is no need to jeopardise your offers by trying futilely to hide this. Uni’s will not care that you left after 1 week of a very poor and disrupted period of ‘study’. They absolutely will care that you have lied by omission on your application.

There is very, very little chance they would even ask you any follow up questions about this. They. Do. Not. Care.
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
Hi, I can answer this. Yes, they can identify this. (No, I’m not going to detail how.)

There is no need to jeopardise your offers by trying futilely to hide this. Uni’s will not care that you left after 1 week of a very poor and disrupted period of ‘study’. They absolutely will care that you have lied by omission on your application.

There is very, very little chance they would even ask you any follow up questions about this. They. Do. Not. Care.

It's just I'm applying for a different course as well, so I feel like they will definitely ask the question of how serious I am about the current course I'm doing, and also I feel like I won't be able to get away with talking about how passionate i have been about the new subject in my personal statement, it will seem incensere since they will see that just 3 months ago I was at university studying something completely different.

You don't need to go into detail but surely you could really quickly tell me what system they could use to see I've been to university already? Is it something that would flag up automatically or would it only come up if they specifically searched for it (which they would obviously have no reason to if I don't talk about it)
It's just I'm applying for a different course as well, so I feel like they will definitely ask the question of how serious I am about the current course I'm doing, and also I feel like I won't be able to get away with talking about how passionate i have been about the new subject in my personal statement, it will seem incensere since they will see that just 3 months ago I was at university studying something completely different.

Uni’s don’t care about change of subjects at the best of times. They care that you meet their entry requirements and then pay their fees. It’s not in their interests to second guess your motivation. Course changes come up a lot and that’s even before the bananas year we’ve just had. Your PS and ref will be enough to convey your interest in the new course.
You don't need to go into detail but surely you could really quickly tell me what system they could use to see I've been to university already?

I work in admissions so it doesn’t help me or anyone in my profession to give any details at all.

The only reason a Uni would care about you leaving another course after a week is if it was related to disciplinary action. Being evasive about it is a sure sign to raise suspicions. Just be honest. It was the wrong subject and the teaching environment was poor.

I’m going to finish here as I suspect you’ll either follow my advice or just go on regardless because I didn’t tell you what you wanted to hear. Here’s the relevant requirement from UCAS:

“If you studied at a uni or college but didn't finish the course, you still need to enter these details. Include the start and finish date, and state that you didn't receive any qualifications there.”
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One
Uni’s don’t care about change of subjects at the best of times. They care that you meet their entry requirements and then pay their fees. It’s not in their interests to second guess your motivation. Course changes come up a lot and that’s even before the bananas year we’ve just had. Your PS and ref will be enough to convey your interest in the new course.

I work in admissions so it doesn’t help me or anyone in my profession to give any details at all.

The only reason a Uni would care about you leaving another course after a week is if it was related to disciplinary action. Being evasive about it is a sure sign to raise suspicions. Just be honest. It was the wrong subject and the teaching environment was poor.

I’m going to finish here as I suspect you’ll either follow my advice or just go on regardless because I didn’t tell you what you wanted to hear. Here’s the relevant requirement from UCAS:

“If you studied at a uni or college but didn't finish the course, you still need to enter these details. Include the start and finish date, and state that you didn't receive any qualifications there.”

Do you think I should talk about it in my personal statement then? I feel like not including it in my personal statement but including it in my study history will just seem like I'm trying to avoid talking about it
Do you think I should talk about it in my personal statement then? I feel like not including it in my personal statement but including it in my study history will just seem like I'm trying to avoid talking about it

You only need to address it if it is directly relevant to your motivation for the new course.

It’s very, very common not to mention it. Uni’s just infer that you picked the wrong course first time around.
If it’s not relevant to your current course then I wouldn’t mention it, uni’s don’t want to here why you didn’t like you last course, they want to here why do like and want to do this one...

Also dropping out this year, after a week. They truly won’t care. It’s not worth stressing about, too many students do it for too many reasons. Especially this year. IF you have a face to face interview as part of your application for next year it might come up in passing, but again, you stress why your new course is going to be great and suit you, not why your old one was bad. (No lecturer wants to here a student bad mouthing a course/uni, regardless that it was a different uni/course)
(edited 3 years ago)
Also you might still have to pay for a term of uni even though you were only there for a week (yes really)

I decided not to go to Queen Mary (I applied on a whim a few years before I actually did my degree at Manchester) and the admissions people told me it was fine to drop out and wouldn’t affect student finance for future applications as long as I sent them an email any day up until the start day of the course. After that I would be charged for the term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending