The Student Room Group

First day at Tesco checkout

Hi there! I just finished my induction day at Tesco for the festive temp staff and have my first shift on Saturday. I’m really nervous for starting because I feel like I’ve got so many questions about what the shift will look like. When I first clock in what do I do? I’m used to working as a waitress, so do I just head down to the checkouts and open up a checkout myself? Do I speak to the checkouts team leader? I didn’t get a chance to meet many people during my induction so I’m nervous to meet someone and instantly ask them a million questions that probably seem silly or like common sense. Also, do people come and let you off for your breaks or do you take them yourself? Do you call someone over to shut the checkout or do you leave the till and shut it yourself? These are probably silly questions to ask but I’ve never worked retail before and don’t want to be going in to my first shift like I have no clue what I’m doing, any advice for starting at Tesco checkouts would be great! :smile:
Original post by Jodiekk
Hi there! I just finished my induction day at Tesco for the festive temp staff and have my first shift on Saturday. I’m really nervous for starting because I feel like I’ve got so many questions about what the shift will look like. When I first clock in what do I do? I’m used to working as a waitress, so do I just head down to the checkouts and open up a checkout myself? Do I speak to the checkouts team leader? I didn’t get a chance to meet many people during my induction so I’m nervous to meet someone and instantly ask them a million questions that probably seem silly or like common sense. Also, do people come and let you off for your breaks or do you take them yourself? Do you call someone over to shut the checkout or do you leave the till and shut it yourself? These are probably silly questions to ask but I’ve never worked retail before and don’t want to be going in to my first shift like I have no clue what I’m doing, any advice for starting at Tesco checkouts would be great! :smile:

I worked at a checkout for a year and the questions i had were:

Do you scan the Clubcard before or after entering the number of own bags used and scanning vouchers? Which order?
- Do you do a pod at the end of every shift/ before every break, or only if you're told?

Pods to be done at end of shift/breaks, red when store is closing.

- Where do you go to get your uniform/badge, clocking in card and staff canteen card when it has arrived? Is it in the personnel manager's office?

The team leaders should give this to you if not speak to personnel/checkout manager

- How do you go about getting overtime? I know there's a folder you ask for, but then what?

Ask the aforementioned specimens if there's any overtime going, you will just have to sign a sheet confirming what shift you want.

- Who do you go to if there's a problem with wages?

Not sure about this one maybe HR or just speak to checkout manager

- How do i find out the number to call for staff absences - customer services?

Anyone who works there..

- How often are you allocated new uniform? I do 8.5 hours a week and am allowed 1 pair of trousers, 1 shirt or 1 fleece.

I've been there for 3 years and have only been given one fleece jack which doesn't zip up properly, one shirt which I've grown out of and trousers which again I've grown out of or have just broken due to terrible quality. I've requested new uniform at least 5 times over the past 6 months but haven't received any..

- Is there a Sunday premium? It said on my job offer that i get a Sunday premium, but someone on checkouts told me while i was working that it's stopped for new workers?

Don't think it's stopped for new workers I get around £10 p/h but as I said previously I've been there for a few years.

- Is there a premium for overtime or is it the usual hourly wage?

New years and Christmas as far as I'm aware as long as you aren't contracted but don't quote me on that.

Hope I could help good luck with one of the worst jobs going.
Reply 2
Original post by Maxistan YT
I worked at a checkout for a year and the questions i had were:

Do you scan the Clubcard before or after entering the number of own bags used and scanning vouchers? Which order?
- Do you do a pod at the end of every shift/ before every break, or only if you're told?

Pods to be done at end of shift/breaks, red when store is closing.

- Where do you go to get your uniform/badge, clocking in card and staff canteen card when it has arrived? Is it in the personnel manager's office?

The team leaders should give this to you if not speak to personnel/checkout manager

- How do you go about getting overtime? I know there's a folder you ask for, but then what?

Ask the aforementioned specimens if there's any overtime going, you will just have to sign a sheet confirming what shift you want.

- Who do you go to if there's a problem with wages?

Not sure about this one maybe HR or just speak to checkout manager

- How do i find out the number to call for staff absences - customer services?

Anyone who works there..

- How often are you allocated new uniform? I do 8.5 hours a week and am allowed 1 pair of trousers, 1 shirt or 1 fleece.

I've been there for 3 years and have only been given one fleece jack which doesn't zip up properly, one shirt which I've grown out of and trousers which again I've grown out of or have just broken due to terrible quality. I've requested new uniform at least 5 times over the past 6 months but haven't received any..

- Is there a Sunday premium? It said on my job offer that i get a Sunday premium, but someone on checkouts told me while i was working that it's stopped for new workers?

Don't think it's stopped for new workers I get around £10 p/h but as I said previously I've been there for a few years.

- Is there a premium for overtime or is it the usual hourly wage?

New years and Christmas as far as I'm aware as long as you aren't contracted but don't quote me on that.

Hope I could help good luck with one of the worst jobs going.

Hi thanks for replying! I did ask a lot of those questions during my induction so that’s why I’m a bit nervous asking what the start of my shift is going to look like, what do I do once I clock in at the start of my shift?
I currently work for Tesco but not on checkouts so can’t really answer all your questions. To clock in you swipe your clock in card (which I’m assuming you’ve been given) at the machine, this is normally near the staff room area. In terms of breaks, I tend to just go whenever and let a member of staff know, I’ve never had to inform a manager or anything before taking a break.
Original post by Dexter345
I currently work for Tesco but not on checkouts so can’t really answer all your questions. To clock in you swipe your clock in card (which I’m assuming you’ve been given) at the machine, this is normally near the staff room area. In terms of breaks, I tend to just go whenever and let a member of staff know, I’ve never had to inform a manager or anything before taking a break.

yes that's exactly what i used to do lol.
Also my manager in the morning when i check in used to let me know where i need to be and the rest of the day i'm usually just on the tills :smile:
Reply 5
I'm about to start working at M&S but this is also something I was wondering about. On my induction we just got told to sign in and then go to your department and say you're new... I'm scared though since my first shift is tomorrow and I don't want to be a burden but I guess asking someone is all you can do!! Not sure about breaks either, I've been googling all this stuff but I can't find anything online about your first ever shift in retail :frown:
Original post by hughezy
I'm about to start working at M&S but this is also something I was wondering about. On my induction we just got told to sign in and then go to your department and say you're new... I'm scared though since my first shift is tomorrow and I don't want to be a burden but I guess asking someone is all you can do!! Not sure about breaks either, I've been googling all this stuff but I can't find anything online about your first ever shift in retail :frown:

I mean don't be scared to ask questions because you don't wanna muck up and make a bad impresssion
Reply 7
Original post by hughezy

Yes I feel the exact same! It’s the festive period and it’s gonna be a Saturday shift so no doubt will be busy and don’t want to burden everyone with my questions all the time 🥴 good luck and thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending