The Student Room Group

Maths Straight Lines - HELP!!

GH is a straight line,
The coordinates of G are (-2, 8) The midpoint of GH is (5, -3)
Work out the coordinates of H.

How would you start this question? thank you.
It might help to draw it out so you understand how to work out the H coordinate. The midpoint (M) would be found halfway between G and H, so G -> M is the same change in X and y values as M -> H.

If that doesn't make sense then watch this video and maybe it'll help u understand it better. https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/mid-point.html
You can think about this in two parts.

First you need to understand that the midpoint is the same distance from G as it is from H.

Then if you find the distance in the x direction and in the y direction from g to the midpoint and add those distances to the midpoint you'll get H
Original post by Chowderzzz
It might help to draw it out so you understand how to work out the H coordinate. The midpoint (M) would be found halfway between G and H, so G -> M is the same change in X and y values as M -> H.

If that doesn't make sense then watch this video and maybe it'll help u understand it better. https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/mid-point.html

thank you for your help! i think I understand it now :biggrin:
Original post by Joseph Green
You can think about this in two parts.

First you need to understand that the midpoint is the same distance from G as it is from H.

Then if you find the distance in the x direction and in the y direction from g to the midpoint and add those distances to the midpoint you'll get H

Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by kittymityyy
thank you for your help! i think I understand it now :biggrin:

No worries 😊. idk how old u r, but I'd recommend Maths Genie for GCSE Maths if u need help. Very good website imo
No worries 😊. idk how old u r, but I'd recommend Maths Genie for GCSE Maths if u need help. Very good website imo

thanks, will make a note of that ! 🙂

Would you mind helping me out with another question (factorising)?
Original post by kittymityyy
Would you mind helping me out with another question (factorising)?

sorry my bad didn't see. but sure if you haven't done it already

Quick Reply

Latest