The Student Room Group

Why is it taking rather long for some universities to respond with a decision?

I applied to some universities almost three weeks ago and they have not responded yet. Both schools say that they will respond within 7 work days. What could be possible reasons for the delay?
Original post by brohe7
I applied to some universities almost three weeks ago and they have not responded yet. Both schools say that they will respond within 7 work days. What could be possible reasons for the delay?

I applied to uni last year in October and didn’t hear back from unis until January!! So don’t panic!
Reply 2
Original post by Cclarke0611
I applied to uni last year in October and didn’t hear back from unis until January!! So don’t panic!

Good to hear,

which uni took that long?
There is no delay. They have until 20th May to reply to apps submitted before the 15th Jan.

When they say ‘respond’ they many mean send you an acknowledgment within 7 days, or respond to queries within that time.
Reply 4
Original post by brohe7

Each uni is completely different in their admissions processes, some will work off an app-to-app basis whereas others will wait for a batch of applicants (typically around deadline days). You don't need to panic, and it's totally normal. If you haven't done so already, you can be preemptive and reach out to them to discuss the best next steps but you will hear from them soon.
Original post by brohe7
Good to hear,

which uni took that long?

I didn’t get any offers until January. I heard from Ulster University in January and didn’t hear from Stranmillis until April!
Original post by brohe7

Hey @brohe7!

Unis don't have to give you a decision until May, but a lot of them will start giving out offers as applications come in.
If your grades are borderline/ just on/under the entry requirements then they may wait until after the January deadline (for equal consideration) to ensure they don't give out too many offers :smile:

I hope this helps, try not to worry!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Reply 7
Good to know, thank you:smile:
Just sent off UCAS application today so hoping to hear back from Stranmillis soon...

Quick Reply