The Student Room Group

is it possible to do 6 as level subjects

I'm an international student choosing my A levels. I'm doing 4 A levels; math, biology, chemistry and economics and I'm fairly confident I can handle it, many people in my school do. Additionally its compulsory to do as level english which we do over two years in my school (its 'cause in my country we need to take english classes in 11th and 12th to meet college requirements).Initially these were going to be my subjects, as I plan to pursue biology/biochem abroad for my undergrad. However, I also want to keep my options open in my home country and to pursue any science field here, physics and chemistry is absolutely compulsory. So I'm going to have to take physics till at least AS levels. Adding this I'll have 6 AS levels. One option would be to drop economics and do physics instead but I really don't want to do physics A levels. If I drop economics completely I'd be left with only three A levels which I also don't want. My only option seems to be doing 6 AS levels and being absolutely miserable in 11th grade, but is doing that many subjects even possible? (I asked my school and it will fit into my time table but they told me to do it if I felt confident enough and I really don't but there's no other option I can see here.)
Original post by seas_and_skies
I'm an international student choosing my A levels. I'm doing 4 A levels; math, biology, chemistry and economics and I'm fairly confident I can handle it, many people in my school do. Additionally its compulsory to do as level english which we do over two years in my school (its 'cause in my country we need to take english classes in 11th and 12th to meet college requirements).Initially these were going to be my subjects, as I plan to pursue biology/biochem abroad for my undergrad. However, I also want to keep my options open in my home country and to pursue any science field here, physics and chemistry is absolutely compulsory. So I'm going to have to take physics till at least AS levels. Adding this I'll have 6 AS levels. One option would be to drop economics and do physics instead but I really don't want to do physics A levels. If I drop economics completely I'd be left with only three A levels which I also don't want. My only option seems to be doing 6 AS levels and being absolutely miserable in 11th grade, but is doing that many subjects even possible? (I asked my school and it will fit into my time table but they told me to do it if I felt confident enough and I really don't but there's no other option I can see here.)

Hi, my advice would be don't do any subjects you don't want to do at all because you'll hate it and it may affect your grades. But obviously if you feel confident enough to do all that go for it, sounds awesome. However, I'm english and I'm doing three A levels and it's killing me hahah it's a lot of work.
Yes, but A*AA > BCDDEU

Hi!

I would choose the subjects that are your priority. so the ones you have to take, then the ones you enjoy. I studied 4 A levels and I definitely would not have been able to time manage 6. However, if you feel confident then go for it. If not speak to your school again to reevaluate things and they can sort a plan for you and help you choose.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
No don’t do 6. Keep 4 and that’s it. You’ll be really stressed. Trust me. Think about what career you want to do and choose alevels based on that
Reply 5
At my college, we are expected to do 12 hours a week per subject so 6 seen a bit unreasonable (even 4 is a big undertaking!). Of course, this is just my college and there is no set amount of work that needs to be put into each course, however, I think fitting in 6 subjects will be stressful and make it hard to get good grades.
Original post by abbiefowkes
Hi, my advice would be don't do any subjects you don't want to do at all because you'll hate it and it may affect your grades. But obviously if you feel confident enough to do all that go for it, sounds awesome. However, I'm english and I'm doing three A levels and it's killing me hahah it's a lot of work.

thank you for replying! I really don't enjoy physics but I guess I'm just questioning if its worth dropping it if it means I can't apply in my home country.
Original post by MalcolmX
Yes, but A*AA > BCDDEU

that's really true, if I feel all my grades are suffering I'll definitely drop one. Thank you for replying!
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I would choose the subjects that are your priority. so the ones you have to take, then the ones you enjoy. I studied 4 A levels and I definitely would not have been able to time manage 6. However, if you feel confident then go for it. If not speak to your school again to reevaluate things and they can sort a plan for you and help you choose.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

I agree! The teachers I talked to all said I should do 4 a levels plus english as, and that I can handle, I just don't know how I can fit my physics requirement into it. What would you recommend dropping?
Original post by SparkleFace
No don’t do 6. Keep 4 and that’s it. You’ll be really stressed. Trust me. Think about what career you want to do and choose alevels based on that

I agree completely, question remains which one should I drop? But thank you for your reply!
Original post by willobs
At my college, we are expected to do 12 hours a week per subject so 6 seen a bit unreasonable (even 4 is a big undertaking!). Of course, this is just my college and there is no set amount of work that needs to be put into each course, however, I think fitting in 6 subjects will be stressful and make it hard to get good grades.

I completely agree, I guess i was planning to try taking them and drop one if it gets too much but I still can't decide on which. Thank you for replying though!
thank you for replying! I really don't enjoy physics but I guess I'm just questioning if its worth dropping it if it means I can't apply in my home country.

Do you really want to apply in your home country? If your mind is telling you aboard study is for you I'd follow it because you might not get another chance and there are loads of amazing colleges over here :smile:
I think drop either economics or biology. But this is a difficult situation. Can you not go to another college which doesn’t need you to do AS English? They’re just making it hard for you. How about you take Biology, Chemistry, Physics then the full English alevel?

If you want to do a career related to physics, you’d need maths. I think for now, sit tight and research what you want to do. I know you like to keep options open but it’s best to decide now

Quick Reply

Latest