The Student Room Group

*read at your own peril* a sequel to "the most boring GYG in the history of GYG's."

I'm back!

Not sure how this'll go this time round; I made a GYG for my GCSE's, and it went relatively well! At the time i was recovering from extensive surgery so being homeschooled for 6 months, I could've used w/ some motivation and company - I ended up with a 9, four 8's, five 7's , a 6 and 2 A's !

After a two year hiatus, many hospital visits and a repeated year, I decided it's that time again.

So let's get to the point:

Where am I applying?: Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, and KCL

What am I applying for? Neuroscience! (MSci/MBiol and BSc)

Subjects? Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy

Predicted grades? AAA A* in EPQ

Would bbbbb great to have some company again, I hope this reaches the right crowd...

hwfg!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did those exact same a levels last year!
How are you finding Philosophy in Y13?
Original post by Krambo_
I did those exact same a levels last year!
How are you finding Philosophy in Y13?

Woo!! I feel like they're aren't many of us ahahah
I like it, but not the biggest fan of the New Testament Studies section (I do Edexcel) Revising in general for it is quite difficult - at the moment I practice rewriting essays but I've found I dont tend to use nearly as many notes/flashcards for it. Got any tips?
Reply 3
Original post by indie.sxnds
Woo!! I feel like they're aren't many of us ahahah
I like it, but not the biggest fan of the New Testament Studies section (I do Edexcel) Revising in general for it is quite difficult - at the moment I practice rewriting essays but I've found I dont tend to use nearly as many notes/flashcards for it. Got any tips?

There definitely aren’t many people who choose Bio, Chem and Philosophy. A bit of an odd mix. Ah I did AQA so I won’t be much help in terms of tips. But I think generally when it comes to Philosophy half of it is understanding the concepts and half is essay technique. The essay technique is definitely the harder one to master. The only way you’ll improve is by doing as many questions as possible. The most important thing is getting feedback from your teacher after doing an essay/question. Then you’ll be able to see what areas you need to improve on. Especially for long answer questions.
Original post by Krambo_
There definitely aren’t many people who choose Bio, Chem and Philosophy. A bit of an odd mix. Ah I did AQA so I won’t be much help in terms of tips. But I think generally when it comes to Philosophy half of it is understanding the concepts and half is essay technique. The essay technique is definitely the harder one to master. The only way you’ll improve is by doing as many questions as possible. The most important thing is getting feedback from your teacher after doing an essay/question. Then you’ll be able to see what areas you need to improve on. Especially for long answer questions.

Thank you so much! really appreciate this :smile:
Day 1:

- I'd been unwell and busy over the weekend, lacking the motivation to do much, so I guess this is my official start. I will be (or trying my best to) post on here every day with what I get up to studying wise

- I'm currently completing some Lattice Enthalpy and Equilibria exam q's
- I need to finish condensing notes on animal cloning for biology
- do some active recall by flashcards for anki on nucleotides/nucleic acids for biology

I'm in the process of making flashcards for every module in bio (OCR A), if anyone wants my decks, feel free to ask! The notes I'm using are partly my own, and some from someone who scored A* in the 2019 set of exams :smile:
hey indie! good to see you again:biggrin: i remember following your gcse gyg (i'm so old ahhh!)
neuroscience sounds very cool:smile:, best of luck with this year and your applications!
Original post by Toastiekid
hey indie! good to see you again:biggrin: i remember following your gcse gyg (i'm so old ahhh!)
neuroscience sounds very cool:smile:, best of luck with this year and your applications!

Omg Toastie!!!! I remember yours too!! So good to see you :smile: how are you doing?! I'm ending up sitting my a-levels a year later than expected which worked out a little better (I'm hoping:confused:) and yeah I love it! think around GCSE time I wanted to be a medic, but that ship sailed a loooong time ago, I fell in love with neuroscience so hoping to study that for a few years and see where it takes me..:biggrin:
Omg Toastie!!!! I remember yours too!! So good to see you :smile: how are you doing?! I'm ending up sitting my a-levels a year later than expected which worked out a little better (I'm hoping:confused:) and yeah I love it! think around GCSE time I wanted to be a medic, but that ship sailed a loooong time ago, I fell in love with neuroscience so hoping to study that for a few years and see where it takes me..:biggrin:

:woo:
i'm good! i just got home from uni(:eek:!) i hope you're doing well:smile:
i'm so glad you love it:wink: and i'm sure your a-levels will work out well:yep: i'm also a fan of the the 'i'm going to study this and see what happens' attitude:biggrin: is pretty much what i've done since gcses aha
:woo:
i'm good! i just got home from uni(:eek:!) i hope you're doing well:smile:
i'm so glad you love it:wink: and i'm sure your a-levels will work out well:yep: i'm also a fan of the the 'i'm going to study this and see what happens' attitude:biggrin: is pretty much what i've done since gcses aha

Hahahahah honestly I really do be winging it at this point :biggrin: Thank you! There's been ups and downs but focusing on the grind for the next few months! What are you studying at uni (and where) if you don't mind me asking?
Hahahahah honestly I really do be winging it at this point :biggrin: Thank you! There's been ups and downs but focusing on the grind for the next few months! What are you studying at uni (and where) if you don't mind me asking?

:lol: aren't we all?
best of luck with all the work, i don't envy you:biggrin:
i'm doing economics and sustainable development @ warwick:smile: (which i certainly didn't expect to be studying in year 11 but i love it:wink:)
Reply 11
sorry but what's a gyg?
:lol: aren't we all?
best of luck with all the work, i don't envy you:biggrin:
i'm doing economics and sustainable development @ warwick:smile: (which i certainly didn't expect to be studying in year 11 but i love it:wink:)

I'm drowning in revision and the pile keeps increasing:bawling:i'm just clinging onto the fact i'll be moving out in less than a year and studying something I enjoy if i keep working :wink:

No way! One of my friends just started GSD at warwick!! it's so funny to look back and think we really had our lives planned out in year 11 - some people do - but I think I knew deep down that things were bound to change:tongue:
Original post by AdeB03
sorry but what's a gyg?

a "grow your grades" blog. It's quite popular on tsr, many people do it for GCSE's/A-level; you basically log your journey to exams, and hopefully in the midst your progress too. - aka my measly attempt to motivate myself into working lol
Reply 14
a "grow your grades" blog. It's quite popular on tsr, many people do it for GCSE's/A-level; you basically log your journey to exams, and hopefully in the midst your progress too. - aka my measly attempt to motivate myself into working lol

oh wow thanks, maybe watching yours will help me to😅 cause for me motivation to revise has left the chat!
Original post by AdeB03
oh wow thanks, maybe watching yours will help me to😅 cause for me motivation to revise has left the chat!

hahaha i felt that😭are you doing GCSE or a level?
Reply 16
hahaha i felt that😭are you doing GCSE or a level?

I'm in year 13 and I do Psychology, RS and English Lit. I want to go to either Loughborough or UCL to study Psychology at uni but I'm considering Bristol also 😊 are u in year 13 too?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by AdeB03
I'm in year 13 and I do Psychology, RS and English Lit. I want to go to either Loughborough or UCL to study Psychology at uni but I'm considering Bristol also 😊 are u in year 13 too?

What exam board are you for RS? and yep in y13 too. I think if i get bristol ill firm it but i'm yet to find out
Reply 18
What exam board are you for RS? and yep in y13 too. I think if i get bristol ill firm it but i'm yet to find out

OCR A i think
Original post by AdeB03
OCR A i think

Ah fairs, I'm edexcel. You should make a gyg too, ill follow it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending