The Student Room Group

Tesco New Worker Holiday entitlement

So I’m a new worker at Tesco just been there a little under a month now and I’ve been given my Christmas shifts however I really need the Boxing Day off due to family commitments however my contracted hours fall on a Saturday, how do I go about this?
Is the rota already done?
Reply 2
Original post by GabiAbi84
Is the rota already done?

They’ve only just notified us of it the other day so I think it’s still subject to changes as people have flagged up problems in their shifts
Generally if you haven’t requested time off then you would be responsible for finding someone to cover your shift.
Reply 4
Am I able to request time off now or would it be too late?
Original post by Kimmyjeynes

It depends on your contract but in general no, once the Rota has gone up it is too late to request.
Most places have a 6weeks in advance request for time off or holidays.
And especially around Christmas they probably have extra rules about requests.
Reply 6
My contract doesn’t state anything about w time frame in which to request a holiday it just states that I am entitled to a certain number of holidays
My contract doesn’t state anything about w time frame in which to request a holiday it just states that I am entitled to a certain number of holidays

What about your employee handbook?
Reply 8
No one has showed me a copy of it neither have they mentioned anything to me
No one has showed me a copy of it neither have they mentioned anything to me

Do you have a login for the employee online page?
Nope they haven’t even given me that I don’t even have an employee number yet and I’ve been working for them for almost a month now
Then I’d take that up with your line manager straight away tbh. They need to provide you with access to the information.

It is generally 6weeks in advance for requests. However most retail have rules about no time off over the Christmas holidays so it will probably come down to you finding someone who can cover your shift for you.
Right okay I will talk to them about it tomorrow, thanks so much for your help though

Almost certainly too late. it's as much your responsibility to find out what the leave rules are as it is the companies, and apart from the amount of leave, the rules on when you can take leave etc are not contractual. If you can't find a staff handbook then you need to ask. Seasonal temps are never going to get priority over permanent staff.
So I’m a new worker at Tesco just been there a little under a month now and I’ve been given my Christmas shifts however I really need the Boxing Day off due to family commitments however my contracted hours fall on a Saturday, how do I go about this?

Hi
First of all you should had made it clear you couldn't work over the Xmas period.
Unfortunately I think @threeportdrift made the point clear about temporary staff over permanent staff as temporary staff are there / employed to cover any permanent staff holiday periods.
You should had put this in writing / requesting this off when you first started and wait and see if you were granted it like.
I think that all shop / supermarkets staff has also got family commitments but majority has to unfortunately work over this period,

As a team leader with them I can relate to your matter but this will be my first Xmas period off with them in all my years I been working there.

A copy of the employee handbook will be online if you log into your tesco account or if you not yet did this then sign upto it but you'll usually need your employee pay number which you'll get on or before you get first pay. If not ask your manager on this matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending