The Student Room Group

Help with A-Level choices

Hi, I’m trying to pick what A-Level subjects I should do. I’m planning on doing a degree in law when I finish sixth form and for a-levels I want to do maths, further maths, history and another subject. The only ones that I’d consider doing that are offered at the sixth form that I want to go to are economics and English literature. I know English would be better for law but I don’t really enjoy the subject that much at GCSE. Economics seems interesting and I’d be willing to work hard in both economics or literature so what should I do? Also, how hard is English literature at A-level compared to GCSE? Is it a huge step up?
I'd say english, and sociology would be great options English to greater your ability at communication and being able to write strong paper work and sociology as it is to do a more varied societal outlook.
Depending what type of law work you want to go into I'd also day criminology or Psychology would also be great options. I hope all works out well
^ I agree with the above.

Usually you don't need to do english, but check the entry requirements for universities that interest you to be sure.

For law, make sure you do subjects you enjoy and are good at - that is the most important thing. Good luck.

PS: I do literature, I'd say that the skills you need are more advanced and you study the text in a more intensive manner. If you were able to get a 7 or above in GCSE then you will probably be able to get an A at A level.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by That_SoundGirl
I'd say english, and sociology would be great options English to greater your ability at communication and being able to write strong paper work and sociology as it is to do a more varied societal outlook.
Depending what type of law work you want to go into I'd also day criminology or Psychology would also be great options. I hope all works out well

Thanks so much, I didn’t really think too much into sociology but I’ll definitely try and find out more :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by de-culus
^ I agree with the above.

Usually you don't need to do english, but check the entry requirements for universities that interest you to be sure.

For law, make sure you do subjects you enjoy and are good at - that is the most important thing. Good luck.

PS: I do literature, I'd say that the skills you need are more advanced and you study the text in a more intensive manner. If you were able to get a 7 or above in GCSE then you will probably be able to get an A at A level.

Thank you for you help, I really appreciate it. My grade for English literature is generally an A* (I do WJEC exams so it’s the letter grades) so do you think if I worked hard I could get an A at a-level? :smile:
It's such an interesting course I did it for GCSE and now use the knowledge I gained during that time to my current work as a Sound Design student haha xx
Reply 6
Original post by That_SoundGirl
It's such an interesting course I did it for GCSE and now use the knowledge I gained during that time to my current work as a Sound Design student haha xx

It’s something I’d definitely consider! It’s great that you can adapt that to the work you do now :smile: thanks for your help, I really appreciate it:smile:
Original post by Hannah29482
It’s something I’d definitely consider! It’s great that you can adapt that to the work you do now :smile: thanks for your help, I really appreciate it:smile:

Anytime I hope it all works out for you
Hey! I just wanted to let you know that some universities don’t actually have specific A levels to do Law! Someone in my school did Maths, Further maths, physics and chemistry and now they are off studying law, someone else I know did English, Government and Politics and Psychology! So you don’t have to do English if you don’t want to, they just like to have a student who does A levels such as history, politics, English, psychology, sociology etc because 1. They are heavy content lessons so getting good grades in them shows you are capable (I assume that law is most likely a very heavy content degree) 2. Law is essay based - just like those a levels, and 3. They have a lot to do with society, history, laws etc which comes into law - so they just prefer you to have them but they aren’t necessary! So I would just say maybe look at some unis you have in mind and see the requirements and if it says ‘no specific requirements’ then do economics! It’s better to do something you enjoy for A level! I hope this helped :smile:
Also, a couple of my friends are doing English literature and they said it’s a big step up, but they enjoy it so it’s good for them, and I think they are studying Shakespeare: Othello, The great Gatsby and a Handmaids Tale! I didn’t want to do biology but the A level I wanted to do was all full up, I told myself to stick to bit but I just didn’t enjoy it, and even though it would have looked better at uni I just couldn’t face it for 2 years, so I swapped and it was the best desciisin!
Any subject is fine, universities do not require any specific prior subject knowledge for a law degree, nor do they require any particular subject area background (unis accept students who did all STEM subjects as readily as those who did all essay based subjects or a mix). Just pick whatever you find more interesting or enjoyable.

Definitely don't take A-level English Literature if you don't have a very deep enjoyment of literary analysis, beyond mere reading of books. I can assure you from person experience doing English Lit in 6th form that if you don't like actually analysing texts it gets extremely tedious and stressful very quickly!
Thank you for you help, I really appreciate it. My grade for English literature is generally an A* (I do WJEC exams so it’s the letter grades) so do you think if I worked hard I could get an A at a-level? :smile:

Of course! But it comes with a lot of hard work. Every A-level you do will be much much harder than its GCSE counterpart so I recommend only taking a subject if you'll be motivated/disciplined enough. This is why it is important for you to choose subjects you enjoy.
Hi, I’m trying to pick what A-Level subjects I should do. I’m planning on doing a degree in law when I finish sixth form and for a-levels I want to do maths, further maths, history and another subject. The only ones that I’d consider doing that are offered at the sixth form that I want to go to are economics and English literature. I know English would be better for law but I don’t really enjoy the subject that much at GCSE. Economics seems interesting and I’d be willing to work hard in both economics or literature so what should I do? Also, how hard is English literature at A-level compared to GCSE? Is it a huge step up?

I was in more or less the same position that you are in at GCSE. I was told English is necessary for law. In my opinion that’s bs. I chose: Politics, Economics and History. I even did some work experience with a barrister who recommended taking History. The skills you learn are so important - interpreting historical sources, coming up with your own judgement etc. If you don’t enjoy English you will not be willing to put the effort in. Choose the subjects you enjoy. I’ve applied to decent Unis for Law now and I’m happy I didn’t choose English.
Original post by lilycgbcd
Hey! I just wanted to let you know that some universities don’t actually have specific A levels to do Law! Someone in my school did Maths, Further maths, physics and chemistry and now they are off studying law, someone else I know did English, Government and Politics and Psychology! So you don’t have to do English if you don’t want to, they just like to have a student who does A levels such as history, politics, English, psychology, sociology etc because 1. They are heavy content lessons so getting good grades in them shows you are capable (I assume that law is most likely a very heavy content degree) 2. Law is essay based - just like those a levels, and 3. They have a lot to do with society, history, laws etc which comes into law - so they just prefer you to have them but they aren’t necessary! So I would just say maybe look at some unis you have in mind and see the requirements and if it says ‘no specific requirements’ then do economics! It’s better to do something you enjoy for A level! I hope this helped :smile:

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it :smile: Do you know whether a-levels like psychology and sociology are well respected by universities? Also, out of the two, which would you say is more interesting? Really sorry for all the questions, I’m just struggling to make up my mind for my fourth subject.
Original post by artful_lounger
Any subject is fine, universities do not require any specific prior subject knowledge for a law degree, nor do they require any particular subject area background (unis accept students who did all STEM subjects as readily as those who did all essay based subjects or a mix). Just pick whatever you find more interesting or enjoyable.

Definitely don't take A-level English Literature if you don't have a very deep enjoyment of literary analysis, beyond mere reading of books. I can assure you from person experience doing English Lit in 6th form that if you don't like actually analysing texts it gets extremely tedious and stressful very quickly!

Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate your help. I honestly don’t mind analysing texts, it’s just that I find subjects like history and maths more interesting. I don’t really want to take a science because I know they’re not really related to law. I would like to take a second essay based subject to balance it out a little as I do want to take both maths and further maths and history. Are there any other essay based subjects that you’d recommend that you enjoyed/ your friends enjoyed?Thanks again for your help :smile:
Original post by Ali_shah2019
I was in more or less the same position that you are in at GCSE. I was told English is necessary for law. In my opinion that’s bs. I chose: Politics, Economics and History. I even did some work experience with a barrister who recommended taking History. The skills you learn are so important - interpreting historical sources, coming up with your own judgement etc. If you don’t enjoy English you will not be willing to put the effort in. Choose the subjects you enjoy. I’ve applied to decent Unis for Law now and I’m happy I didn’t choose English.

Thank you so much! I wanted to do politics but it isn’t offered at the sixth form that I want to go to :frown:. I’m glad to know that English is not a necessity for law, as it definitely would be my first choice of subjects. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you get work experience and when did you do it? It’s something I really want to do but I have no idea where to start.
Again, thank you so much for your response :smile:
Thank you so much! I wanted to do politics but it isn’t offered at the sixth form that I want to go to :frown:. I’m glad to know that English is not a necessity for law, as it definitely would be my first choice of subjects. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you get work experience and when did you do it? It’s something I really want to do but I have no idea where to start.
Again, thank you so much for your response :smile:

So I guess I was kinda lucky, I have family members who are in contact with lawyers. Only done maybe 2 occasions of work experience - one with a family member doing admin work in the summer of year 10 (that’s extremely early as far as work experience goes) and another in the summer of year 11 at a community centre which offered legal advice. At the end of the week I got the opportunity to visit a Court as well.

I reckon work experience is not that important before a law degree but definitely get some in if you can. Given Covid im sure it will be quite hard. The least to do before applying to Uni is to visit a court (since it open to the public) and see what you think. DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY THE LEGAL JARGON.
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it :smile: Do you know whether a-levels like psychology and sociology are well respected by universities? Also, out of the two, which would you say is more interesting? Really sorry for all the questions, I’m just struggling to make up my mind for my fourth subject.

Psychology and Sociology are definitely well respected in universities! Any subject that it essay based is! I’m not 100% sure on the most and least well respected but I did read somewhere that the main least respected ones are media, art and products design, for things like law because some courses do not accept them, but obviously those A levels would be perfect for someone wanting to go down that route! I actually take Psychology and Sociology and I would say that I prefer sociology because it’s taught me so much about society and has definitely increased my knowledge of so much stuff! Psychology is also interesting but I can’t really give an opinion about it yet because we are doing a topic called research methods which is important stuff you need to know, but it’s quite boring. But I’m sure once we get onto like bio psychology and forensic psychology it will be 100% better! If you are thinking about the two I would really recommend reading the specifications for the two A levels seeing as they tell you want to need to/will learn!!
Original post by lilycgbcd
Psychology and Sociology are definitely well respected in universities! Any subject that it essay based is! I’m not 100% sure on the most and least well respected but I did read somewhere that the main least respected ones are media, art and products design, for things like law because some courses do not accept them, but obviously those A levels would be perfect for someone wanting to go down that route! I actually take Psychology and Sociology and I would say that I prefer sociology because it’s taught me so much about society and has definitely increased my knowledge of so much stuff! Psychology is also interesting but I can’t really give an opinion about it yet because we are doing a topic called research methods which is important stuff you need to know, but it’s quite boring. But I’m sure once we get onto like bio psychology and forensic psychology it will be 100% better! If you are thinking about the two I would really recommend reading the specifications for the two A levels seeing as they tell you want to need to/will learn!!

Thank you so much! I’ve never spoken to someone that’s doing both psychology and sociology so it’s so interesting to hear your views! I’m looking at doing maths, history and English lit, and I was thinking of doing a fourth subject and doing further maths, but obviously either sociology or psychology would be better for law as they’re both more essay based. I’m definitely going to look into both of these subjects further and try and see which ones sounds best for me. Again, thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it! :smile:
Thank you so much! I’ve never spoken to someone that’s doing both psychology and sociology so it’s so interesting to hear your views! I’m looking at doing maths, history and English lit, and I was thinking of doing a fourth subject and doing further maths, but obviously either sociology or psychology would be better for law as they’re both more essay based. I’m definitely going to look into both of these subjects further and try and see which ones sounds best for me. Again, thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it! :smile:

It’s okay! I hope all goes well :smile: just remember as well you can always change A levels if you decide 1 or 2 or even a month in you don’t like them! So just pick whatever you feel most confident that you’ll enjoy and do well in! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest