The Student Room Group

Personals statement crisis

I still don’t know what I want to study at university so I still haven’t even started my personal statement. My schools deadline was yesterday but I want to hand it in by today. I don’t know what to do. I’ve researched so many courses but I just genuinely do not know what to study. I’m so stressed. Also I’m failing all 3 of my a levels subjects so it wouldn’t make much sense for me to apply for a course in a subject area I’m failing in, like I just can’t get myself to do it. I take English literature, sociology and Geography.

I do not want to take a gap year. I want to go straight to University after my a levels but i still don’t know what to study. I’m so conflicted, stressed and anxious.

I’ve tried to speaking to people but it’s no use so I thought I’d try here.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Deep breath and calm.

Have you narrowed down to the kind of thing you want to study? Have you looked at unis? Open days etc. Do you have a short list? unfortunately only you can decide what you want.

Have you started a PS at all? If you haven't getting one done in a day is going to be difficult. You could also consider postponing applying for now. Some unis allow applications after the 15th january and its worth bearing in mind you could get what you want through clearing. You could concentrate on you alevels between now and june. Then decide what you want after summer xmas.
Original post by MinnieW09
Deep breath and calm.

Have you narrowed down to the kind of thing you want to study? Have you looked at unis? Open days etc. Do you have a short list? unfortunately only you can decide what you want.

Have you started a PS at all? If you haven't getting one done in a day is going to be difficult. You could also consider postponing applying for now. Some unis allow applications after the 15th january and its worth bearing in mind you could get what you want through clearing. You could concentrate on you alevels between now and june. Then decide what you want after summer xmas.

Hi
Since I do essay based subjects I’m pretty much limited to what courses I could do and since I’m failing all 3 subjects I haven’t really nailed down to the kind of thing I want to study, despite the fact that I’ve done so much research.

I’ve looked at so many unis. I’ve been looking at unis since year 12 and I’ve been to many open days (virtually). I have a list of unis I want to apply to - so I’ve already decided the universities I want to apply to.

I haven’t done a personal statement at all. I’m struggling so much to pick a course and I haven been for so long. I was considering postponing but I don’t want to be in a bad position. Like when it comes to picking accommodation I’ll be very limited to what I can choose, since I postponed my application. I’m aware that clearing is an option - but it’s not a safe option, I’m determined to go to uni next year so I don’t want to risk my chances by intentionally going through clearing, rather than it being a back up option.

I really want to do exactly just that - concentrate on alevels but I really don’t want to risk not going to uni this year. I’m so conflicted.
I re-wrote my personal statement completely in the couple of hours before sending my application, and spent only a few hours on it in the first place. A whole day is more than enough time to put something reasonable together.

With regards to which course to choose, obviously this is a conclusion you have to reach yourself. There are a few pertinent things to consider, however:

1) It is not unusual, at many universities, for people to move between cognate subjects early on in their university career.
2) You may wish to consider joint honours courses in two subjects you are considering, that way it would usually be fairly easy to focus on one of them.
3) The above advice regarding clearing is good. Many people completely swap their course in clearing.
4) Should you choose a course and find out you hate it you would be able to make an application through UCAS to gain a place on a different course. Obviously there are funding implications, but typically you get one spare year of funding so that isn't usually an issue.
5) You could do an 'Open' degree at the Open University. This would negate the impact of you failing your current course, but you would need to find a way to meet your living costs.

If you are commited to making a decision today then just choose the course you are most likely to want to study and then you can deal with changing your mind if and when it happens. Obviously, given you are failing, make sure the choices you make are realistic. You may well end up with more generous grades this year but that isn't going to magically turn Ds into Bs.
If your failing your A levels why are you even looking to university... It's significantly tougher...

Maybe reassess your options and look into something more practical.

Your also kind of limited with those A levels... So STEM and economics are out, no maths...

You can look into business, or geography with business... Or possibly humanities.

Either way, you need to ask yourself.... Do I want to be an office worker later. Or would I rather do something like plumbing or more practically.

What type of person are you really.... That is what you need to figure out ASAP.

Remember, these decisions will influence the rest of your life.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Realitysreflexx
If your failing your A levels why are you even looking to university... It's significantly tougher...

Maybe reassess your options and look into something more practical.

Your also kind of limited with those A levels... So STEM and economics are out, no maths...

You can look into business, or geography with business... Or possibly humanities.

Either way, you need to ask yourself.... Do I want to be an office worker later. Or would I rather do something like plumbing or more practically.

What type of person are you really.... That is what you need to figure out ASAP.

Remember, these decisions will influence the rest of your life.

I’m looking to university because I have no other choice. The reason why I failed my mocks in September is because simply I didn’t revise, but since then I’ve been trying to revise and get myself together. E.g in my sociology essays. I got an E in September, in November got a C and this week I received an A. I’m making improvements. If I keep up the hard work and continue revising, I shall be fine by June - when my exams are.

I could get into STEM - many unis offer foundation years.

I don’t know if I want to get into humanities as I’m not interested in many of the career prospects. If you hadn’t noticed yet, I have no idea what career path I want to do in the future.

I’ve tried asking myself several times what kinda of person I am but I just don’t know.

Out of my subjects, I find geography the most interesting and I’ve just started to enjoy it but I have been consistently getting U over the two years. Unlike my other two, where I got C’s in my year 12 mocks (in March). I know I shouldn’t apply for the course, but honestly out of everything I’ve researched I’ve found geography the most intriguing? Any advice to this?
Original post by ByronicHero
I re-wrote my personal statement completely in the couple of hours before sending my application, and spent only a few hours on it in the first place. A whole day is more than enough time to put something reasonable together.

With regards to which course to choose, obviously this is a conclusion you have to reach yourself. There are a few pertinent things to consider, however:

1) It is not unusual, at many universities, for people to move between cognate subjects early on in their university career.
2) You may wish to consider joint honours courses in two subjects you are considering, that way it would usually be fairly easy to focus on one of them.
3) The above advice regarding clearing is good. Many people completely swap their course in clearing.
4) Should you choose a course and find out you hate it you would be able to make an application through UCAS to gain a place on a different course. Obviously there are funding implications, but typically you get one spare year of funding so that isn't usually an issue.
5) You could do an 'Open' degree at the Open University. This would negate the impact of you failing your current course, but you would need to find a way to meet your living costs.

If you are commited to making a decision today then just choose the course you are most likely to want to study and then you can deal with changing your mind if and when it happens. Obviously, given you are failing, make sure the choices you make are realistic. You may well end up with more generous grades this year but that isn't going to magically turn Ds into Bs.

You have put me at ease. I appreciate it so much! I haven’t even considered many of these options, thank you so much.

I’m pretty sure once I’ve figured out the course, I’ll get the ps done by today. I most likely want to study geography but I’ve been failing consistently - I’ve never really revised it. But I’ve spoken to my teacher and she thinks I will be fine by exam time since I’ve literally gotten my priorities straight - to bang out revision. Should i still apply for geography though? I’ve really started to enjoy it, but my grades say otherwise.
Many graduate schemes don't require a particular degree. There are a few schemes (and particular jobs, like engineering for example) which will. The admissions tutors will see your predicted grades unless you have any actual grades (but they know that the August grades this year were kind of a mess), so that won't necessarily be a problem and you should focus on a subject that you enjoy.
Listen to me. Relax.

Take your time with your personal statement. No need to rush it before Jan 15th.

Contrary to what people think (and trust me I know from my life experience), A-Levels/Uni mean jack-all in the real-world nowadays. Make sure to work hard so that you can build your character, but it is character, not qualifications, that helps people to make their millions. I've seen it in my life, so don't worry. I wish you the best.
Hello lovely. Firstly relax. You have a entire four weeks to put it together. Focus on your skills and qualities. Work hard too. Demonstrate your ability to possess those skills and mindset etc as well. Use a few different real life examples as your supporting evidence. Type it up in black only. Best of luck to you.
Reply 10
Firstly, I would say that if you don't find anything worth studying at uni, then you don't have to go. You could go into a trade/straight into employment. People these days get pressured into entering a course they don't like, and then struggle to find employment afterwards. If you genuinely don't see the appeal and are struggling academically, then uni might not be right for you and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Original post by Hafstudiesx
I still don’t know what I want to study at university so I still haven’t even started my personal statement. My schools deadline was yesterday but I want to hand it in by today. I don’t know what to do. I’ve researched so many courses but I just genuinely do not know what to study. I’m so stressed. Also I’m failing all 3 of my a levels subjects so it wouldn’t make much sense for me to apply for a course in a subject area I’m failing in, like I just can’t get myself to do it. I take English literature, sociology and Geography.

I do not want to take a gap year. I want to go straight to University after my a levels but i still don’t know what to study. I’m so conflicted, stressed and anxious.

Hi! I sent off my application to Uni today, I wrote my personal statement this morning. Just take a deep breath, look up online tips and templates and try your best. Be honest and sell yourself. Feel free to pm me :smile:
I’m looking to university because I have no other choice. The reason why I failed my mocks in September is because simply I didn’t revise, but since then I’ve been trying to revise and get myself together. E.g in my sociology essays. I got an E in September, in November got a C and this week I received an A. I’m making improvements. If I keep up the hard work and continue revising, I shall be fine by June - when my exams are.

I could get into STEM - many unis offer foundation years.

I don’t know if I want to get into humanities as I’m not interested in many of the career prospects. If you hadn’t noticed yet, I have no idea what career path I want to do in the future.

I’ve tried asking myself several times what kinda of person I am but I just don’t know.

Out of my subjects, I find geography the most interesting and I’ve just started to enjoy it but I have been consistently getting U over the two years. Unlike my other two, where I got C’s in my year 12 mocks (in March). I know I shouldn’t apply for the course, but honestly out of everything I’ve researched I’ve found geography the most intriguing? Any advice to this?

Yeah apply for geography somewhere would be my advise... You could maybe aim for my Alma mater, University of Nottingham, i that course and most RG geography courses require ABB so nothing crazy. I wouldn't advise doing a soft subject like geography or business anywhere other than at RG though.

It's not that I don't want you to go to University, but do it for the right reason. With your background info it seems like you are capable, but in your initial post you said you were failing and needed advice lol.
Have you thought about a gap year? You sound really stressed, taking the time to find your feet might be really beneficial? Just doing the best you can and then breathing whilst you sort that out next year? Just a suggestion though
Original post by Interrobang
Many graduate schemes don't require a particular degree. There are a few schemes (and particular jobs, like engineering for example) which will. The admissions tutors will see your predicted grades unless you have any actual grades (but they know that the August grades this year were kind of a mess), so that won't necessarily be a problem and you should focus on a subject that you enjoy.

Ooh, I wasn’t aware that some graduate schemes don’t ask for a certain degree. Thank you for letting me know, I really appreciate it! Honestly I enjoy pretty much everything aha
Original post by TheWilkerWay
Listen to me. Relax.

Take your time with your personal statement. No need to rush it before Jan 15th.

Contrary to what people think (and trust me I know from my life experience), A-Levels/Uni mean jack-all in the real-world nowadays. Make sure to work hard so that you can build your character, but it is character, not qualifications, that helps people to make their millions. I've seen it in my life, so don't worry. I wish you the best.

Thank you so much. Much appreciated!!
Original post by tinygirl96
Hello lovely. Firstly relax. You have a entire four weeks to put it together. Focus on your skills and qualities. Work hard too. Demonstrate your ability to possess those skills and mindset etc as well. Use a few different real life examples as your supporting evidence. Type it up in black only. Best of luck to you.

Yeh I agree. 4 weeks is plenty of time actually. I will try and do exactly what you have recommended, thank you :smile:
Original post by Mikos
Firstly, I would say that if you don't find anything worth studying at uni, then you don't have to go. You could go into a trade/straight into employment. People these days get pressured into entering a course they don't like, and then struggle to find employment afterwards. If you genuinely don't see the appeal and are struggling academically, then uni might not be right for you and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I completely agree. I don’t think uni is the best choice for everyone, but I’m not so certain for me because I really want to go, yet cannot even figure out a course to study which is literally the most important out of everything. I do enjoy education even tho it doesn’t seem like it ahah

Take a gap year
Yeh I completely get where you are coming from. But yes in my September mocks I was failing all 3 subjects, but I am making good improvement in class assessments etc. But my next mocks are after the ucas deadline, which is why I’m so conflicted if you get what I’m saying? Because my school will look at my mocks I did in September even tho I am improving but I only have class assessments to reflect that, not mocks. Idk. I want to go to uni but I don’t know what course to pick.

Also I really appreciate you’re advice! Thank youu!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending