The Student Room Group

UCL- BA Economics and Business with East European Studies (Honest Review)

Share your honest reviews.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. I just have a few questions:
- Are you actually looked down upon by the rest of the Uni for taking this course?
- Is the degree seen as prestigious? After all, it is UCL, right?
- How has your experience been with applying for internship positions?
- Can you take any econ modules from the economics department?
- Would it be possible for me to switch to pure Econ if I got an A* in math instead of an A?
Hey, this was really helpful! I am in a sort of similar situation in that I applied for Politics and IR but was invited to consider Politics,Sociology and Eastern European Studies. I know you may not be familiar with the degree but since its also taught at the SSEES I was wondering if you could provide me with any information you heard?
I imagine the concerns would be the same as in for your course (may not be seen as prestigious as politics and ir, small course etc).
I also was considering going into IB. I know its unusual as most people who do so have an Economics/Business/Maths etc degree, but since I would be able to learn Russian there, and I already speak Italian, French, Spanish and obviously English fluently (C1) level, do you think coming out with a 2.1/1st in this degree would give me any chances?
I also basically have the same questions for the poster above (apart from the last 2), and also is the SSEES well integrated into UCL or is it kind of isolated?
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, I really appreciate it!
Original post by richardsmith
is the SSEES well integrated into UCL or is it kind of isolated?
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, I really appreciate it!

I would also want to know this, thanks!
How are you finding the rigor of the courses? Is it challenging (even if I have taken economics A-level)? This will sound cheesy but are the modules intellectually interesting for someone who likes the social sciences?

Thank uou
I'm still waiting on a reply from this course.

Applied 5th December with A*AB achieved in Maths, Psychology and Economics. Am self teaching FM AS and retaking Economics this year and predicted A for both leaving my final prediction to A*AAA in Maths, Psychology, Economics and FM AS.

Still havent heard back and I'm worried it is because of my mediocre GCSEs (Have a C in english and they require a B)

Any idea on my chances?

My PS was very tailored to this course
I know this is a lot to ask. But is there any way that you could share some lecture materials or assignment notes from the course so I can get a stronger idea of what to expect? It would really be appreciated.
I received my offer for History, Politics and Econs with condition AAA. But I got AAB. Could you please give me some advice on how to argue with the admission office of SSEES? Or can I resit in another subject that I did not take in my A Level to get another A? Thank you!
ok thanks, can I take another subject in the ucl preferred subject list instead of retaking my B?
Just PM'ed you. Thank you very much. LMK if you didnt get the message
Thank you soooo much! I just received the offer of this major and quite confused about my choice. Since i'm a Chinese student and this major is kind of not that popular, I'm much worried about my future career actually......
I'm having some questions here:
1. how far is it different from the pure econ major?
2. is it compulsory for having an internship in the region of Eastern Europe?( is it available to work in London?)
3. is it alright if i ask you why you chose this major before?
Lastly, I really appreciate your sharing since I'm about to make decisions between UCL and KCL( economics and management)
thanks a lot!!!! hoping for more sharing!:h:
Reply 11
Can you send me aswell please am very interested and have got an offer
Original post by 8515
Can you send me aswell please am very interested and have got an offer

Hey im planning to apply for this course and considering you have received an offer i have a few questions. Was your ps tailored to the course as mines a pure econ ps. I am gonna apply with aa achieved (in maths and econ) and b predicted (geo) for next summer, is it likely ill get an offer.
Reply 13
Original post by Ferrari08
Hey im planning to apply for this course and considering you have received an offer i have a few questions. Was your ps tailored to the course as mines a pure econ ps. I am gonna apply with aa achieved (in maths and econ) and b predicted (geo) for next summer, is it likely ill get an offer.

Hi, yh my ps was half tailored to this course although my other unis were straight econ. My predicted were 2A* and A so it’s up to you. What were your GCSE’s?
Original post by 8515
Hi, yh my ps was half tailored to this course although my other unis were straight econ. My predicted were 2A* and A so it’s up to you. What were your GCSE’s?

Wow those are solid af predictions man. I might include a paragraph on business but idk. My gcse’s were 9988888765. What other unis have u applied too for econ?
Reply 15
Original post by Ferrari08
Wow those are solid af predictions man. I might include a paragraph on business but idk. My gcse’s were 9988888765. What other unis have u applied too for econ?

Cambridge, Bristol, Notttingham.
A paragraph on business would be useful for sure mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending