The Student Room Group

Malnourished

I’m a 19 year old 5’2” 83lb female with a BMI of 15.2. I have been shaking uncontrollably, I get nauseous, I’m always freezing, unintentionally lost 17lbs in one week, I’m dizzy too. Should I go to the doctor or am I just freaking out for no reason..

Scroll to see replies

See your doctor!
Reply 2
I don’t mean to be offensive at all but like, do you eat?
Reply 3
Original post by Ten-Ten
I don’t mean to be offensive at all but like, do you eat?

I do but lately I haven’t been feeling hungry. I know I ate small things like granola bars and cereal but I didn’t realize I made myself sick. My hands and legs had started to get really sore and I looked in the mirror and could see my hips, ribs, and collarbone.
(edited 3 years ago)
Defo go see your doctor, like ring them up now. Whether its malnourishment or some sort of nasty virus, you've got quite a low BMI and seem to be feeling the effects pretty roughly (maybe due to this)
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Defo go see your doctor, like ring them up now. Whether its malnourishment or some sort of nasty virus, you've got quite a low BMI and seem to be feeling the effects pretty roughly (maybe due to this)

I’ve been trying to eat and drink but everything tastes weird and I finally just had no more interest in it
Original post by Alikat2244
I’ve been trying to eat and drink but everything tastes weird and I finally just had no more interest in it

Covid messes with your taste & smell. you need to see your doctor ASAP :redface:
Reply 7
Is there someone with you at home like your parents who can help you?

Can you make an appointment with your GP online? You need to speak to him/her on Monday.

I'm bewildered by a weight loss of 17lb in a week, that can't be true, you would have been admitted to hospital.

By the way, you are in the UK aren't you?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by the bear
Covid messes with your taste & smell. you need to see your doctor ASAP :redface:

Already got tested and it’s negative. Being malnourished can alter your sense of taste and smell too
Reply 9
Original post by Kerzen

Can you make an appointment with your GP online? You need to speak to him/her on Monday.

I'm bewildeted by a weight loss of 17lb in a week, that can't be true, you would have been admitted to hospital.

Last Friday I weighed 100lbs and Friday the 4th I weighed again and weigh 83lbs. And no I’m not in the UK. I felt fine and just thought the shaking was from coffee but it’s persisting and I can’t seem to get warm. I also feel like it’s getting harder to stand.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Last Friday I weighed 100lbs and Friday the 4th I weighed again and weigh 83lbs. And no I’m not in the UK. I felt fine and just thought the shaking was from coffee but it’s persisting and I can’t seem to get warm.

I'm assuming from your spelling and weight in lbs that you are in the US. What is your situation re access to medical care?
Reply 11
Original post by Kerzen

I'm bewildeted by a weight loss of 17lb in a week, that can't be true, you would have been admitted to hospital.

Last Friday I weighed 100lbs and Friday the 4th I weighed again and weigh 83lbs. And no I’m not in the UK. I felt fine and just thought the shaking was from coffee but it’s persisting and I can’t seem to get warm.

Original post by Kerzen
I'm assuming from your spelling and weight in lbs that you are in the US. What is your situation re access to medical care?

I don’t have insurance at the moment and I just normally don’t eat a lot but this is freaking me out a bit. Whenever I do anything I end up having to stop to breathe and they’re more shallow breaths and that includes talking. I feel exhausted and my body feels shaky and heavy when I stand and I also get dizzy just walking.
it sounds as if you are seriously ill. please seek help at an Emergency Room today.
Last Friday I weighed 100lbs and Friday the 4th I weighed again and weigh 83lbs. And no I’m not in the UK. I felt fine and just thought the shaking was from coffee but it’s persisting and I can’t seem to get warm. I also feel like it’s getting harder to stand.

Do you have to pay for medical care in your country? You need to see a doctor ASAP. It’s an emergency.
Reply 14
I have no insurance at the moment because I’m making too much to be on Medicaid anymore. I’m gonna see if my mom will make an appointment for me while I’m at work. Honestly when I stand my legs shake
Reply 15
I’m now going to make an appointment
Reply 16
I have no insurance at the moment because I’m making too much to be on Medicaid anymore. I’m gonna see if my mom will make an appointment for me while I’m at work. Honestly when I stand my legs shake

Can you make the appointment yourself?

What has your Mom said to you about what is affecting you? What are her thoughts?
I do but lately I haven’t been feeling hungry. I know I ate small things like granola bars and cereal but I didn’t realize I made myself sick. My hands and legs had started to get really sore and I looked in the mirror and could see my hips, ribs, and collarbone.

Yeah you should defo go to the hospital as soon as possible so they can give you the appropriate advice
Reply 18
I have work until 3pm and my mom just looked at the scale and said it’s not good and that I can’t keep losing weight so fast.
Reply 19
I have work until 3pm and my mom just looked at the scale and said it’s not good and that I can’t keep losing weight so fast.

What kind of job do you have and how old are you?

Quick Reply

Latest