The Student Room Group

Can i get mostly 9s?

Hi ,
I am already getting 9s in maths, physics, chemistry and biology
But most of my topic tests for other subjects I am getting 7s and I don't do much revision for these. English is the only subject I am getting 6s and I have no clue how to improve
If I revise really hard can I get 8s and 9s in my mocks?
The subjects that I have for my mocks are Computing, Graphics, Triple Science, Business and German.
The main reason I am worried: last year I got my CAGS for RE which I revised only the day before for both my mocks and ended up getting a 7 and one mark of an 8. Therefore,I ended up with a 7 and still to this day,I regret not putting my fullest effort in to this subject
Original post by foreverrocking
Hi ,
But most of my topic tests for other subjects I am getting 7s and I don't do much revision for these. English is the only subject I am getting 6s and I have no clue how to improve

Absolutely! You should revise for all your subejcts and do a lot of essay practice, also look at the advice posted on my thread!
Original post by foreverrocking
Hi ,

Well done for the 9s you're getting!
7's are already really good (A's), but if you want to improve them, I'm sure it would be possible if you just revised a little more. Topic tests aren't indicative of what your results in mocks would be anyway, however they cover less material so you'd need to revise more for mocks to achieve the same grade 7 I think.

English was something I struggled with in the run up to my mocks. I'm not sure which texts you do, but I did Macbeth and Never Let Me Go for mocks, and Physics Maths Tutor's Macbeth notes were really helpful. Use a sheet of paper and [although this is the most overused advice ever] make mind maps. Once you have an understanding of themes and characters, you can include what you know in the exam. Don't overemphasise the importance of learning quotes - for Macbeth, for example, I used shorter quotes even just like 'brave', 'tyrant', 'sleep no more' etc which worked in my favour. English language, practise analysis from both past papers and other pieces of (non)fiction in your daily life. You can improve quite rapidly this way. Most people go up a couple of grades from classwork to actual gcses. In class in English I was getting 7/8s and in the mocks I got high 9s, and most people in my class went up a grade or 2 like this.

I'm also gcses 2021 and I'm a little worried about CAGs, but I'd say just give mocks your best shot and don't keep thinking 'what if these are my actual gcses' or you'll pressurise yourself - bad for your mental health.

Also, think about your a-level options; if you're doing sciences, for example, still try your best in other subjects but your 9s in relevant subjects will be more important for a level and on to university.

It's definitely possible! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest