The Student Room Group

contextual offer?

if one of my parents didn’t go to uni and the other parent got a diploma, would that make me eligible for a contextual offer off of certain unis. or is a diploma classed as going to uni?
Original post by otowers21
if one of my parents didn’t go to uni and the other parent got a diploma, would that make me eligible for a contextual offer off of certain unis. or is a diploma classed as going to uni?

So they attended university but didn’t graduate with a degree.
Technically they have still attended university.
What university is this? Every university I've come across for contextual offers base it on postcode data and data about the school you are attending (plus other eligibility like free school meals or being in care), not on the basis of parental education levels.
Reply 3
yeah no i get that, i was just wondering because when i asked my mum i got the impression she didn’t go to uni but got training instead however part of that training required her to do one module at a university, so i guess it would count.
Reply 4
Original post by Paralove
What university is this? Every university I've come across for contextual offers base it on postcode data and data about the school you are attending (plus other eligibility like free school meals or being in care), not on the basis of parental education levels.

for example i’m looking at newcastle uni. it says if neither of your parents have any of the following higher education qualifications you might be eligible : eg MA, Msc, PhD, PGCE, BA, Bsc
for example i’m looking at newcastle uni. it says if neither of your parents have any of the following higher education qualifications you might be eligible : eg MA, Msc, PhD, PGCE, BA, Bsc

I see. Assuming this is for the PARTNERS programme, then on the basis of having a diploma, then they don't count. But the criteria also states it's not just that, it is current occupation too which you'd have to clarify with the organising team. People in your parent's generation wouldn't necessarily have required a university degree to get into certain higher-level/professional occupations.
part of that training required her to do one module at a university

Your parents have not had the advantage of a degree level education.
You are totally entitled to tick No,
Reply 7
Original post by Paralove
I see. Assuming this is for the PARTNERS programme, then on the basis of having a diploma, then they don't count. But the criteria also states it's not just that, it is current occupation too which you'd have to clarify with the organising team. People in your parent's generation wouldn't necessarily have required a university degree to get into certain higher-level/professional occupations.

yeah i’ve just read that now and that makes more sense, thankyouuu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending