The Student Room Group

How much difference does it make going to private school?

They can't be miracle workers can they?

Scroll to see replies

Idk I go to a grammar school, not only is the environment different but standard of education is different compared to a state school.
At a state school, its not just the teachers, its the kids and their lack of work ethic (or often their parents indifference to their kids' grades) that brings the school down. Total opposite of grammar schools and many private schools. Its harder (but still doable) at a state school. Its also more recognised if say you get the same grades as a grammar kid from a state school , e.g you get more points just for going to state schools in some uni applications.
Reply 3
I'm not sure what you're asking, but our local state school (which used to be a grammar school, to be fair) sends off more Oxbridge students every year than the local private school (which has around half the number of students) that hasn't for the past few years. My younger sibling goes to the private one; I go to the state one.
Original post by seals2001
At a state school, its not just the teachers, its the kids and their lack of work ethic (or often their parents indifference to their kids' grades) that brings the school down. Total opposite of grammar schools and many private schools. Its harder (but still doable) at a state school. Its also more recognised if say you get the same grades as a grammar kid from a state school , e.g you get more points just for going to state schools in some uni applications.

this is definitely true if your parents are paying for it you are more likely to work hard.
Original post by chocobi
I'm not sure what you're asking, but our local state school (which used to be a grammar school, to be fair) sends off more Oxbridge students every year than the local private school (which has around half the number of students) that hasn't for the past few years. My younger sibling goes to the private one; I go to the state one.

you get some really good state schools but on the whole private are usually better
Reply 6
I moved from state to private in year 8 - overall it didn't make much difference to me academically except in subject choice (I did Latin at GCSE and A level) since I'd have worked hard and studied mostly independently either way.

However, pastorally it was a much better place for me to be. Smaller class/yeargroup sizes and more staff you can talk to really work wonders for your mental health (and consequently often your grades). I feel like I'd have just been completely lost in the crowd at my local state high school, but there's no hiding when you're in sets of 2-10 (for A level) and there are only 80-90 people in your yeargroup!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by vix.xvi
Idk I go to a grammar school, not only is the environment different but standard of education is different compared to a state school.

Nearly all Grammar schools ARE state schools.
Original post by Interea
I moved from state to private in year 8 - overall it didn't make much difference to me academically except in subject choice (I did Latin at GCSE and A level) since I'd have worked hard and studied independently either way.

However, pastorally it was a much better place for me to be. Smaller class/yeargroup sizes and more staff you can talk to really work wonders for your mental health (and consequently often your grades). I feel like I'd have just been completely lost in the crowd at my local state high school, but there's no hiding when you're in sets of 2-10 (for A level) and there are only 80-90 people in your yeargroup!

Not always true though - a friends daughter is being mercilessly bullied at a Private school.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by karl pilkington
you get some really good state schools but on the whole private are usually better

How do you know? Many private schools are selective so would be expected to get better results. At the very least they tend to get parents with more material resources.
Original post by Muttley79
Nearly all Grammar schools ARE state schools.

I mean a normal school
My understanding is that (good) private schools have more resources, more teachers, fewer number of pupils per classroom and the pupils are more likely to be academic. Thus, they are better learning environment.
Private schools usually have smaller year groups and generally have better resources and more connections to higher institutions like good universities (Russel group) and good sixth forms but honestly, it varies from school to school and it depends on the students effort and circumstances
Not all private schooling is top of the line education, I went to private school for 12 years and if I wasn’t told I was in a private institution I honestly wouldn’t be able to make the distinction.

Not every school is the same, and some public schools might have better equipment such as smart boards, which I at least, didn’t have, the one thing I did enjoy were the small classes which is without a doubt a huge advantage to anyone’s education.

But besides that I think I would’ve done fine in a public school, and even excelled socially because my private school was religious based and segregated which sort of kept me in a bubble.

Overall, I think it’s best to look at it on a case by case basis.
My cousin goes to private school and is in a class of 11 pupils with 2 teachers and 1 assistant. They have a wide selection of extra-curricular activities, many school trips overseas and one-to-one teaching regularly. I mean, the guy is 12 and competes in golfing tournaments after school. I went to state school and was in classes of 30+ students with 1 teacher, the majority of our teachers were on maternity leave so we had substitutes throughout GCSE's. Not to mention the amazing state-school selection of extra curricular: netball or football.

In my opinion, there is a MASSIVE difference between state/private school. I mean, if I was paying for my childs education then I would expect the top quality treatment!
Original post by zakburridge
Here’s a thought: imagine the government abolished private and grammar schools

I don't think that is the best solution imo. I imagine wealthy parents would move to areas with state schools at the top of the league tables. House prices in those areas would increase significantly, pricing the local population out of the market.
Here’s a thought: imagine the government abolished private and grammar schools and then taxed the private school kids’ parents for the amount they paid in school fees and used the tax revenue to properly fund state schools. Woah... equality of opportunity🤯🤯

You’re going to abolish private schools and then tax parents who send their kids to private school?

You might want to call an emergency town hall meeting to reconvene on that one.
Reply 17
I went to a private school but it wasn't very good for grades - there was only one A* in physics and further maths in my entire year. The nearby state school got more people in to Oxford and Cambridge, and it didn't have that many more students. It was nice to have small class sizes, pretty grounds and fancy facilities, and some of the teachers were very good but as you said - no miracle workers. It was more a private school for people who didn't get in to the actually properly good ones.

Basically, it depends.
(edited 3 years ago)
Ah okay, better thought: just tax the rich more🤪

Can you trust the government to make sensible use of the extra money collected through tax? Boris and pals may spend it on more contracts with his cronies.
Original post by MalcolmX
My understanding is that (good) private schools have more resources, more teachers, fewer number of pupils per classroom and the pupils are more likely to be academic. Thus, they are better learning environment.

No - some are poor and students are eligible for contextual offers!

The one nearest to me is truly appalling - teachers don't have to be qualifed to teach in a Private school!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending