The Student Room Group

Could someone who is home-schooled convince my mum?

I want to self teach A levels, as the classroom environment is too distracting and slow. Please could someone help me convince my mum. I am telling her school education does not suit everyone.

Scroll to see replies

This is a non exhaustive list
You can build life skills this way
Less stress
More focus on important life lessons
Reduced pressure before exams
Fewer bullying situations etc
In some cases, better quality of education overall
No homework
Easier time on the whole
Reply 2
What subjects are you taking?
Are you planning on going uni or into the workplace?
Original post by hootdoot04

I get incredible anxiety and stress from school and simply because I find self teaching more effective, but my mum simply won't allow it. She believes private education is superior, when all in all everyone covers the same curriculum. I have been bullied by teachers and students alike, I simply cannot focus, even when the teacher discusses things, everyone is incredibly disruptive and noisy that it effects my state of mind. At the end of the day, I still have to look online to recap, because it is so incredibly messy and convoluted. My Asian mum thinks this is BS and she says just cause you don't have friend and are a loner. Please I really want to be home schooled, as I find self-teaching way more effective, but my mum is incredibly adamant, my mental health is becoming extremely fragile, and I cannot go to sleep at night. I do not know how to persuade her, is it possible for me to move out of the house and live by myself. I can't stand school, it breaks me.
Original post by Compost
What subjects are you taking?

I want to take Maths, FM, Economics and Chinese. I used to be able to do simultaneous equations, trig, and pythag when I was in year 6. I had a natural aptitude, but since I had entered the school system. I have been broken, I really want to stay at home and teach myself. I can't stand school.
Original post by killerspeedforce
I want to take Maths, FM, Economics and Chinese. I used to be able to do simultaneous equations, trig, and pythag when I was in year 6. I had a natural aptitude, but since I had entered the school system. I have been broken, I really want to stay at home and teach myself. I can't stand school.

aw hope you're ok
I get incredible anxiety and stress from school and simply because I find self teaching more effective, but my mum simply won't allow it. She believes private education is superior, when all in all everyone covers the same curriculum. I have been bullied by teachers and students alike, I simply cannot focus, even when the teacher discusses things, everyone is incredibly disruptive and noisy that it effects my state of mind. At the end of the day, I still have to look online to recap, because it is so incredibly messy and convoluted. My Asian mum thinks this is BS and she says just cause you don't have friend and are a loner. Please I really want to be home schooled, as I find self-teaching way more effective, but my mum is incredibly adamant, my mental health is becoming extremely fragile, and I cannot go to sleep at night. I do not know how to persuade her, is it possible for me to move out of the house and live by myself. I can't stand school, it breaks me.

have you been to the GP?
Reply 8

I was like that when I went into 6thform but it usually goes away in 2-3weeks, but never underestimate classroom teaching, knowledge that would usually take a week to acquire can be learnt in a school during 1 lesson
have you been to the GP?

Can the GP take me out of school? I get panic attack, stress and anxiety at night. I can't fall asleep and I get 4-6 hours of sleep everyday, and I am tired the next day
Reply 10

Going "to" uni

I can only ignore that mistake so many times before giving in.
Original post by Bio 7
Going "to" uni

I can only ignore that mistake so many times before giving in.

alright love 😂
Can the GP take me out of school? I get panic attack, stress and anxiety at night. I can't fall asleep and I get 4-6 hours of sleep everyday, and I am tired the next day

They might be able to advise stuff etc! Please go to the GP, it’s very important
Good prep for university, people who are handheld through school are in for a shock when they are suddenly thrown into independence.
its great
In terms of pure practicality, none of those have any coursework so there are no issues with entering for the exams as a private candidate. A level Chinese is only offered by Pearson Edexcel https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/chinese-2017.html, and they offer a service for conducting the speaking test if the exam centre you're at doesn't have a suitable examiner (link to last year's form https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Spanish/2016/forms-and-administration/London%20Centre%20Orals%202019%20-%20Important%20Information.pdf )
I want to self teach A levels, as the classroom environment is too distracting and slow. Please could someone help me convince my mum. I am telling her school education does not suit everyone.

It might help if you have more info on options for how to self learn that you can show your mum, so she can see that 1) home learning might not actually be that bad and 2) you have done lots of research into it so clearly it really matters to you and you aren't just being naïve about it - you know what you are talking about.

Have you looked into online courses? For most of them you get a qualified tutor that you can ask any questions to, and who will mark any work you send them. Lots of tutors also email out stuff like essay structures. The content is all there for you to learn and it gives you an organised way to self teach. I recently started a sociology course with ICS Learn:

https://www.icslearn.co.uk/courses/a-levels/

and am really impressed so far. Maybe show their website to your mum? There are also several other companies that do a similar thing, just search stuff like online a level courses and see what is available. Trustpilot:

https://uk.trustpilot.com

is a really good way of comparing them and seeing reviews. In my opinion, as long as your family can afford it (it would cost a reasonable amount of money,) an online course is a great option and there are loads of people who have got good results doing it. It means you can learn in the way that is best for you, and don't have to waste time on things like lessons being disrupted.

If you self teach (or do an online course) you will need to enter the exams as a private candidate. You will therefore need to find an exam centre that accepts you. Also, be aware it costs money to take the exams. Exam boards have help and advice on this, for example aqa has a list of exam centres that accept private candidates:

https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-p...ate-candidates

https://www.ocr.org.uk/students/private-candidates/

https://www.eduqas.co.uk/home/studen...te-candidates/

https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...andidates.html

Hope this helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
I wouldn't use an online provider as suggested above. In my experience they aren't that much better than an online text book- a waste of money.

There is a really wide range of free and low cost resources available online.
honestly, you're probably better off in a sixth form or collage. so what if you get bullied, happens to everyone, character development really. its you whos gonna succeed in years to come not those bullying you. if you believe you can teach yourself better you need to have a discussion with your college and family and at the end of the day when doing a levels you're going to be self teaching yourself 90% of the content anyway. all my teachers aren't good and i go to a well above average collage, just read powerpoints and i could teach myself better at home but at the same time they have the degrees, phds etc. 5 minutes before your a level exam when you need to go over a concept they're going to be the ones helping you, not yourself. just seriously think about it because its probably not worth it
Original post by hhhhhhhssss
honestly, you're probably better off in a sixth form or collage. so what if you get bullied, happens to everyone, character development really. its you whos gonna succeed in years to come not those bullying you. if you believe you can teach yourself better you need to have a discussion with your college and family and at the end of the day when doing a levels you're going to be self teaching yourself 90% of the content anyway. all my teachers aren't good and i go to a well above average collage, just read powerpoints and i could teach myself better at home but at the same time they have the degrees, phds etc. 5 minutes before your a level exam when you need to go over a concept they're going to be the ones helping you, not yourself. just seriously think about it because its probably not worth it

Um no one ever deserves to 'put up' with bullying.....

Quick Reply

Latest