The Student Room Group

Sum of Series Using Standard Results

I've tried the attached question but a bit stuck on how to proceed. Is anyone able to help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by beachpanda
I've tried the attached question but a bit stuck on how to proceed. Is anyone able to help?

Is the +6 inside or outside the summation.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Is the +6 inside or outside the summation.

I assumed it was inside - they hadn't used any brackets so it's a bit unclear?
i think the 6 is separate from the summation.
Reply 4
I assumed it was inside - they hadn't used any brackets so it's a bit unclear?

It's not obvious. It would be either +6 or +6b when you evaluate the sum.
Looking at the numbers, it Is guess +6b may make more sense, but will check now.
(edited 3 years ago)
Once expanded, +6 rather than +6b works nicely.
Original post by ghostwalker

high5.png
Original post by the bear
high5.png

lol
Reply 8
I've taken the 6 as outside the sum and now have this - but still unsure how to solve when I've polynomials in both variables?
Reply 9
What are the surrounding questions like?
They may just want you to sub a few values in?
Original post by mqb2766
What are the surrounding questions like?
They may just want you to sub a few values in?

Other questions have just been about substituting for the standard results where the sigma notation is - I'm about to learn method of differences?
(edited 3 years ago)
Other questions have just been about substituting for the standard results where the sigma notation is - pre-method of differences?

The answer is a small number(s) which can be obtained by writing the first few values down. That may be sufficient?
Understanding a) and c) is not too hard as c) is the square of triangular numbers (a) with different index which you can do a bit of reasoning about. Possibly beyond what is required.
(edited 3 years ago)

Just revisiting this - I've done the attached to try and solve a & b but not sure how I can solve this?
Just revisiting this - I've done the attached to try and solve a & b but not sure how I can solve this?

Simplest way is just to write down the first few partial sums for each summation and look for the common term as mqb2766 suggested.
Simplest way is just to write down the first few partial sums for each summation and look for the common term as mqb2766 suggested.

Is this what you mean? Just checked the answers and a c
You'd need a few more "a" terms, triangular numbers, to get a match with b.
FWIW, since the sum of cubes is a square, it's relatively easy to evaluate the middle sum until you get to squares which narrows things down quite quickly.
Original post by mqb2766
You'd need a few more "a" terms, triangular numbers, to get a match with b.

Does this look right? The sums in a and b were both equal for 36, so I subbed the value of r in each sum - then equated

Still doesn't look right considering a = 8, b = 4 from the answer section
Does this look right? The sums in a and b were both equal for 36, so I subbed the value of r in each sum - then equated

The 8th triangular number is 36, as is 1+4+9+16+6. So a=8, b=4.

I guess the question is less about doing algebra in two variables, more about interpreting the sums. The third sum is simply the square of the values in a, or the sum of cubes is the triangular numbers squared.

Quick Reply

Latest