The Student Room Group

Parking on public road

Hi guys so I have a question relating to parking on a public road. So it was rush hour picking the kids up from school, I was parked on a public road where parents usually park as it does not have yellow lines etc, I was parked just before a bend however cars could see me when turning in but due to cars being parked on both sides of the road, cars turning in would have to wait for other cars that were getting out which is normal on that road, anyways everyone was fine and had no problems but this couple did and took a pic of my plate from the back when driving off, can they do something with that?
Reply 1
"According to the Highway Code, motorists should not park “opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space”.

It's not illegal, but it's bad practice and if you're parking like that by a school then you're increasing the chances of a child being hit by a car by reducing visibility available to other drivers.
Reply 2
Original post by zeecream
Hi guys so I have a question relating to parking on a public road. So it was rush hour picking the kids up from school, I was parked on a public road where parents usually park as it does not have yellow lines etc, I was parked just before a bend however cars could see me when turning in but due to cars being parked on both sides of the road, cars turning in would have to wait for other cars that were getting out which is normal on that road, anyways everyone was fine and had no problems but this couple did and took a pic of my plate from the back when driving off, can they do something with that?

Sounds like you caused an inconvenience.

Expect the photo to be published on Mumsnet with some nasty remarks.. and that's about it.
Or some expletives along with the pic being published on rate-driver.co.uk.
Reply 4
Original post by Nuffles
"According to the Highway Code, motorists should not park “opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space”.

It's not illegal, but it's bad practice and if you're parking like that by a school then you're increasing the chances of a child being hit by a car by reducing visibility available to other drivers.

Ohhh okay, all cars and pedestrians could see me very clearly
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One

What does that do?
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Sounds like you caused an inconvenience.

Expect the photo to be published on Mumsnet with some nasty remarks.. and that's about it.

Okey doke thank you!
What does that do?

Nothing apart from letting the poster let off some steam.
Reply 8
Nothing apart from letting the poster let off some steam.

Ohhhh okay I don’t get why she has to be so arsy about it and then take a pic like I’ve done a crime
Ohhhh okay I don’t get why she has to be so arsy about it and then take a pic like I’ve done a crime

The honest truth is many if not most parents act like entitled arses when driving to and from schools, "Oh of course i can park on this zigzag/double yellow/middle of the road/other person/driveway ect ect', I'm picking up children!".

All other drivers/people know and hate this, it's right up there with couriers blocking one way roads and buggering off into buildings 'It's ok, i've put the hazards on' :tongue: (saw a DPD driver get bounced off his truck for this a few weeks ago :tongue:)

Something to remember though, if you're in your car, your visibility plain sucks, it's dangerous to assume everyone can see you/has the same view as you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by StriderHort
The honest truth is many if not most parents act like entitled arses when driving to and from schools, "Oh of course i can park on this zigzag/double yellow/middle of the road/other person/driveway ect ect', I'm picking up children!".

All other drivers/people know and hate this, it's right up there with couriers blocking one way roads and buggering off into buildings 'It's ok, i've put the hazards on' :tongue: (saw a DPD driver get bounced off his truck for this a few weeks ago :tongue:)

Something to remember though, if you're in your car, your visibility plain sucks, it's dangerous to assume everyone can see you/has the same view as you.

What happened to the dpd driver? Tbh she was arsy because the oncoming cars wouldn’t give way so they had to wait so she decided to blame me because the road was tight full of cars
What happened to the dpd driver? Tbh she was arsy because the oncoming cars wouldn’t give way so they had to wait so she decided to blame me because the road was tight full of cars

Literally bounced off the van by an angry driver, the road outside mine is a 1 way through road and one you're in it that's it, reversing out is v dangerous and the DPD driver had just stopped halfway in, stuck on the hazards and wandered off for a good 10 mins, they were going mental beeping and when the guy came back out someone shouted something and he either shouted back or flipped the V;'s and one of the drivers came charging up and grabbed them :tongue:
Reply 12
Footage and photos of traffic incidents can be uploaded to the dashcam portal, where they will be looked at by the relevant police force for possible further action.
Reply 13
Original post by Surnia
Footage and photos of traffic incidents can be uploaded to the dashcam portal, where they will be looked at by the relevant police force for possible further action.

Surely they won’t be able to do anything? As I was parked on a public road with no restrictions
Reply 14
Original post by Surnia

This isn't a traffic incident.
Original post by IWMTom

Someone could report it as one though.

Y'know, if they were a fanny.
Reply 16
Original post by StriderHort
Someone could report it as one though.

Y'know, if they were a fanny.

Mind your language! Disgusting!

Spoiler

Id never heard of that website. I'll have to have a look.
Reply 18
Surely they won’t be able to do anything? As I was parked on a public road with no restrictions

Except for the bit about parking near a junction.
Original post by IWMTom

It involved a car, that's traffic! It doesn't have to be an accident and it's already been pointed out about the parking location.
Reply 19
Original post by Surnia
Except for the bit about parking near a junction.

It involved a car, that's traffic! It doesn't have to be an accident and it's already been pointed out about the parking location.

Where exactly did the OP say they parked near a junction? That's right.. they didn't!

A bend is not a junction!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending