The Student Room Group

Cambridge Language Requirements

I am an international applicant from Turkey. I have a question regarding the languages requirements for international students. I recently got my IELTS Academic Test results, which are slightly lower than Cambridge’s requirements:

IELTS Academic1 normally a minimum overall grade of 7.5, usually with 7.0 or above in each element

My questions is, will IELTS score affect my overall application to Cambridge and do I have to take the IELTS exam again?

Note: Additionally, I can prove my English language capability with high school grades and standardised tests.
(3 AP and 2 SAT Subject, with very high scores)
Original post by myt27
I am an international applicant from Turkey. I have a question regarding the languages requirements for international students. I recently got my IELTS Academic Test results, which are slightly lower than Cambridge’s requirements:

IELTS Academic1 normally a minimum overall grade of 7.5, usually with 7.0 or above in each element

My questions is, will IELTS score affect my overall application to Cambridge and do I have to take the IELTS exam again?

Note: Additionally, I can prove my English language capability with high school grades and standardised tests.
(3 AP and 2 SAT Subject, with very high scores)

The following Cambridge page confirms that an English test might form part of any offer, (IE. not meeting the requirements when you apply won't affect your chances of getting an offer, but it would form part of any offer and you'll be given a deadline to meet the required scores):

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/english-language-requirements

You don't need to retake the test yet, you could wait and see if any of your academics meet their requirements. The only thing to be wary of is that IELTS test dates get very busy from June onwards, (and you may also wish to give yourself time to retake again).
Reply 2
Original post by myt27
I am an international applicant from Turkey. I have a question regarding the languages

Unless you are applying to arts and humanities field, IELTS is not something they take consideration when deciding to give an offer.
Students with straight 9s in Ielts and No ielts have equal chances of getting a conditional offer for STEM courses.

It is very likely that they will give you an offer conditional on ielts.
And you will have to retake.
But there are times when Cambridge ielts condition is lower than 7.5 overall and 7 in each component.
Reply 3
Original post by Aung
Unless you are applying to arts and humanities field, IELTS is not something they take consideration when deciding to give an offer.
Students with straight 9s in Ielts and No ielts have equal chances of getting a conditional offer for STEM courses.

It is very likely that they will give you an offer conditional on ielts.
And you will have to retake.
But there are times when Cambridge ielts condition is lower than 7.5 overall and 7 in each component.

Does History and Politics count as Arts and Humanities?
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
The following Cambridge page confirms that an English test might form part of any offer, (IE. not meeting the requirements when you apply won't affect your chances of getting an offer, but it would form part of any offer and you'll be given a deadline to meet the required scores):

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/english-language-requirements

You don't need to retake the test yet, you could wait and see if any of your academics meet their requirements. The only thing to be wary of is that IELTS test dates get very busy from June onwards, (and you may also wish to give yourself time to retake again).

I see. But is this rule same for all courses? I’ll apply to History and Politics.
Reply 5
Original post by myt27
I see. But is this rule same for all courses? I’ll apply to History and Politics.

For courses (such as Law and Literature) that rely heavily on English (writings, essays, reading texts), ielts may sometimes affect ur chances of getting offer.
It depends on whether your course relys heavily on English or not. A sign of the course relying heavily on English is being assigned regular essays and reading tasks (whether it is in school or university admission).
Original post by myt27

Only Cambridge could answer this I’m afraid. I would think that humanities courses might look more at your essay based subjects that a one off English test, but that’s just me guessing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending