The Student Room Group

Is GCSE computer science hard with no experience with computers

Hi, i'm in year 10 right now and i chose computer science because my parents wanted me too and i didn't like any of the other subjects my school was offerings so i chose it and now i'm really struggling. I don't know how to code or know anything about computers and my teacher won't let me change my subjects now because its too late. Is there any way i could get good grades still because i still want to do good or is it too late for me to get good grades because everyone i know in the class knows lots about computers.
Reply 1
Original post by BTS IS HOT
Hi, i'm in year 10 right now and i chose computer science because my parents wanted me too and i didn't like any of the other subjects my school was offerings so i chose it and now i'm really struggling. I don't know how to code or know anything about computers and my teacher won't let me change my subjects now because its too late. Is there any way i could get good grades still because i still want to do good or is it too late for me to get good grades because everyone i know in the class knows lots about computers.

I'm in year 10 too, and I picked Comp Sci, do you know what current language you're doing, or is it like Pseudocode?
no gcse is hard, otherwise it wouldn't be very good for gcse students

you're in the first term of your first year, there's plenty of time to catch up

speak to your teacher about things you don't understand. remember, cs isn't all about programming or hardware
Reply 3
Original post by GaleT
I'm in year 10 too, and I picked Comp Sci, do you know what current language you're doing, or is it like Pseudocode?

Im doing pseudocode right now but we are moving on to programming fundamentals now
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
no gcse is hard, otherwise it wouldn't be very good for gcse students

you're in the first term of your first year, there's plenty of time to catch up

speak to your teacher about things you don't understand. remember, cs isn't all about programming or hardware

thanks i wish i could but my teacher doesn't know how to teach

Nope I didn't know anything about computers and I'm doing pretty well :smile: Also love the username :wink:

When I was doing CS GCSE, I knew nothing about programming but I quickly picked it up. It isn't really that essential, especially if your exam board doesn't require you to do coursework - but even so, the coursework is very generous about the programming side and doesn't really care for programming as long as it works and fits the criteria.

Overall, CS GCSE was quite easy - the hardest part is writing algorithms on paper and not being able to test them out like you would if you wrote one on a machine, but they're lenient with that too. You will be perfectly fine.
Reply 7
Original post by enigmapr0ject
When I was doing CS GCSE, I knew nothing about programming but I quickly picked it up. It isn't really that essential, especially if your exam board doesn't require you to do coursework - but even so, the coursework is very generous about the programming side and doesn't really care for programming as long as it works and fits the criteria.

Overall, CS GCSE was quite easy - the hardest part is writing algorithms on paper and not being able to test them out like you would if you wrote one on a machine, but they're lenient with that too. You will be perfectly fine.

thanks this uplifted me a lot :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by SuperiorPotato
Nope I didn't know anything about computers and I'm doing pretty well :smile: Also love the username :wink:

thanks, i think I just need to put more effort everyone's better than me thats what was putting me down. Also, lol thanks the usernames the only one that came to my mind🤣
thanks this uplifted me a lot :smile:

No worries.

If you want to get into programming, use w3schools. It took me from knowing 1 language to doing my 3rd. Also get used to googling errors, Stack Overflow and a whole lot of forums. Sometimes it gets really frustrating and the errors sometimes can be right under your nose hidden in plain sight.

If you need any help, just message me
Original post by enigmapr0ject
No worries.

If you want to get into programming, use w3schools. It took me from knowing 1 language to doing my 3rd. Also get used to googling errors, Stack Overflow and a whole lot of forums. Sometimes it gets really frustrating and the errors sometimes can be right under your nose hidden in plain sight.

If you need any help, just message me

ok thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest