The Student Room Group

King Edwards Five Ways and Camp Hill Boys

I'm thinking of applying there. I dislike being at a comprehensive school. Barely any academic opportunities and everything is more catered towards the less intellect students (that's a compliment to them, judging by their disrespectful attitude just because I want to get on with my own work!). I just don't like the idea of places such as JCC where you only need a C to get into Computer Science, and half of my CS class in Year 10 do NOT deserve to be in the course, they can't even code! I very much am attracted by the extra-curricular opportunities that are offered. I want to go to a school where I am pushed, not held back. I also want to separate myself from everyone else in my current school (fun fact, that's how I started secondary school in the first place and hated it, I feel the need to go through change once again.)
So, does anyone go to Five Ways or Camp Hill, and what GCSE grades do people on average have to get in? I want to apply for September 2018.
Yo I'm in yr11 at chb. You basically just need rlly good predicted grades, such as all 7's and 8's. None of the teachers r confident about 9's so you won't need many (if any at all). The best you can do is apply with your predicted grades and explain why you wanna move and then you should be in with a good chance. Most people here haven't got great predicted grades actually
Reply 2
I'm an external at KEFW. The standard of entry requirements is high, definitely. At least an A/7 in the subject you want to do, and even if you don't want to do Maths or English you need a 6 in both of them too. Everybody who is in the sixth form here did very well in their subjects. I even think they didn't do C/S this year because the grades of the applicants weren't high enough, so if you're going to do C/S here you'll be in the right crowd, I don't do it, but the head of C/S is my form tutor and he's like the nicest guy ever so
apparently chb is better for sixth form and ik for a fact fw is better for high school cuz i'm at chb yr10. but things change and camphill has gone downhill by a LOT!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by s1ddyboy_2006
apparently chb is better for sixth form and ik for a fact fw is better for high school cuz i'm at chb yr10. but things change and camphill has gone downhill by a LOT!

Handsworth grammar is very good. Yes, the results are below average compared to other grammar schools, but there are little to no behaviour issues/ students doing drugs. Also, is it true camphill students do drugs?
Reply 5
Original post by s1ddyboy_2006

Im looking to go to either Camp hill girls or king nortons girls but i dont live near them so don't know much about the schools, do you know which is better?
Original post by Ayxsh
Im looking to go to either Camp hill girls or king nortons girls but i dont live near them so don't know much about the schools, do you know which is better?

If you have been offered a place at KE Camphil girls, go for it without a shadow of a doubt.
Reply 7
Original post by coolchem
If you have been offered a place at KE Camphil girls, go for it without a shadow of a doubt.

I've not been offered a place but I am applying to both Camphill and Kings Norton, if I do get into Camphill I will definitely go for it but if not, I wouldn't mind going to kings norton just because the train is 1hr 10 and camphills is 1hr 30. I'm currently predicted 7s in the subjects I want to do as well as english and maths so it is worth applying even if I don't get in
Original post by Ayxsh
I've not been offered a place but I am applying to both Camphill and Kings Norton, if I do get into Camphill I will definitely go for it but if not, I wouldn't mind going to kings norton just because the train is 1hr 10 and camphills is 1hr 30. I'm currently predicted 7s in the subjects I want to do as well as english and maths so it is worth applying even if I don't get in

what are your pred grades?
Reply 9
My Predicted grades are Maths - 7, Lit - 6, Lang - 7, German - 6, ICT - L2P, History - 6, R.E - 9, Chemistry - 7, Biology - 7, Physics - 7

Im planning on taking chemistry, biology, RS and psychology
Original post by Ayxsh
My Predicted grades are Maths - 7, Lit - 6, Lang - 7, German - 6, ICT - L2P, History - 6, R.E - 9, Chemistry - 7, Biology - 7, Physics - 7

Im planning on taking chemistry, biology, RS and psychology

Do you want to aim for medicine may I ask?
Reply 11
Do you want to aim for medicine may I ask?

Yes Im hoping to go into dentistry
Reply 12
Handsworth grammar is very good. Yes, the results are below average compared to other grammar schools, but there are little to no behaviour issues/ students doing drugs. Also, is it true camphill students do drugs?

Sorry to say HGS (for boys) isn't as good as it seems.
Teaching wise the science teachers for a-level aren't good at teaching (except maybe 3) especially the physics department. Also a disappointingly large handful of pupils (male) show misogynistic behaviour towards female pupils, there were a few reports of low level sexual assault reported from female sixth formers to higher up teachers. Also the building itself is very very cramped.
Original post by Aribob
Sorry to say HGS (for boys) isn't as good as it seems.
Teaching wise the science teachers for a-level aren't good at teaching (except maybe 3) especially the physics department. Also a disappointingly large handful of pupils (male) show misogynistic behaviour towards female pupils, there were a few reports of low level sexual assault reported from female sixth formers to higher up teachers. Also the building itself is very very cramped.

Yes, HGS is rather small, I'll admit, though far better than KE Aston as my friends say. I haven't heard of sexual incidents, though it is possible minor incidents may have taken place. What I will say is that HGS is undoubtedly a better Grammar than Aston. Many students' parents made their children transfer (they went to HGS initially but got offered a place at Aston after being at HGS for a year or so), and they regret going there.

HGS is a good Grammar- if you are well behaved and determined, you will have little to no problems. Of course. I won't pretend there is competition between HGS and KES/ camphil/QMGS.

Latest

Trending

Trending