The Student Room Group

How to Revise GCSE English Literature?

Hi!! My mocks are in January and I was wondering what the best way was to make notes for the books we've studied (Lord of The Flies, Jane Eyre and Macbeth) and also how to revise for it?
Any help is appreciated!!
Original post by Schoolss111
Hi!! My mocks are in January and I was wondering what the best way was to make notes for the books we've studied (Lord of The Flies, Jane Eyre and Macbeth) and also how to revise for it?

For me I think it is key to gather around 4 quotes for each theme and character and make a A4 mindmap for each. This way you can fully understand each key character in the book and prepare for any theme questions that might come up. Make sure you do some research for context too, as this can get you so many extra marks

Hi! I did my English Literature GCSE two years ago (in Year 10- a year early) and got a grade 9 (153/160 marks). One of the texts I studied was Lord of the Flies, and I think I got pretty close to full marks on it, so I can help you out with it if you want!
One quote per paragraph. Focus on themes and characters. Do some contextual research too. Good luck.
Original post by tinygirl96
One quote per paragraph. Focus on themes and characters. Do some contextual research too. Good luck.

Good advice!
mindmaps for characters and themes, flashcards and exam practice questions was what i did :smile:
Again try the colour coding technique.
Original post by Katec050
For me I think it is key to gather around 4 quotes for each theme and character and make a A4 mindmap for each. This way you can fully understand each key character in the book and prepare for any theme questions that might come up. Make sure you do some research for context too, as this can get you so many extra mark

Thank you:h:
thank you!

Original post by absolutelysprout
mindmaps for characters and themes, flashcards and exam practice questions was what i did :smile:
Woah well done!! Also, how did you revise?

Original post by Purplemonkeys
Hi! I did my English Literature GCSE two years ago (in Year 10- a year early) and got a grade 9 (153/160 marks). One of the texts I studied was Lord of the Flies, and I think I got pretty close to full marks on it, so I can help you out with it if you want!

I'd say doing mindmaps on key themes, they help you organize the themes into the main characters involved, the key quotes and the writer's intention (i'd say this is quite important to consider).

Also write key quotes on flashcards and test yourself, watch scene summaries (can do this on gcsepod or youtube) and perhaps try analysing a few key quotes in depth with multiple inferences.

So for example in ambition in Macbeth you could use: "stars, hide your fires! let light not see my black and deep desires".
- Memorising short and judicious quotations which you can make lots of inferences for would be a good idea.

Let me know if you need key quotes!!
How many quotes overall/ quotes per theme/character is a good amount? For Lord of the Flies
How many quotes overall/ quotes per theme/character is a good amount? For Lord of the Flies

four is a good number

I was told five or six.
There are some really good notes on TES that I have used for my revision so do check the resources there and I honestly think the money is worth it!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending