The Student Room Group

Mum is struggling and I don’t know how to help

Like the title says. Mum has an infection on her back that started a week ago and she is in constant pain except when she takes painkillers. She has been in a very emotional state for about a week now. My grandparents are also ill but they’re in a different country so I think she feels extremely worried and helpless about them. I haven’t been feeling too well emotionally either, but my mum is worse. She’s outbursting on me for little things like the way I open an envelope and how I spread her ointment on her, it’s starting to take a toll on me too.

She cries when she goes to bed and I hug her and comfort her but I feel really scared, I’ve never seen her like this before, atleast not on this level. I know the pain of the infection is hurting her, and so is the condition of my grandparents, which is resulting in this very fragile position. I tell her it will be okay and she and my grandparents will get better but I think she just wants to release the overwhelming feelings right now. I don’t know what to do, I’m worried for her but it’s also starting to affect me too.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Like the title says. Mum has an infection on her back that started a week ago and she is in constant pain except when she takes painkillers. She has been in a very emotional state for about a week now. My grandparents are also ill but they’re in a different country so I think she feels extremely worried and helpless about them. I haven’t been feeling too well emotionally either, but my mum is worse. She’s outbursting on me for little things like the way I open an envelope and how I spread her ointment on her, it’s starting to take a toll on me too.

She cries when she goes to bed and I hug her and comfort her but I feel really scared, I’ve never seen her like this before, atleast not on this level. I know the pain of the infection is hurting her, and so is the condition of my grandparents, which is resulting in this very fragile position. I tell her it will be okay and she and my grandparents will get better but I think she just wants to release the overwhelming feelings right now. I don’t know what to do, I’m worried for her but it’s also starting to affect me too.

She needs to get the infection treated. Has she contacted her GP? If not, you need to encourage her to do so.
Reply 2
Original post by marple
She needs to get the infection treated. Has she contacted her GP? If not, you need to encourage her to do so.

We have, she was given an ointment, the infection itself is not that serious but it is causing her a lot of pain.
She needs to get back to the doctors. perhaps there might be something that might be a bit more effective. like antibiotic tablets, or something else they can do. Her being snappy, its no reflection on you. you havent done anything wrong.its just the pain is getting annoying for her.
Reply 4
We have, she was given an ointment, the infection itself is not that serious but it is causing her a lot of pain.

Perhaps encourage her to go back - if the ointment hasn't cleared it up she may need antibiotics or something else. A minor infection shouldn't cause that much pain.
Reply 5
Original post by Ghostlady
She needs to get back to the doctors. perhaps there might be something that might be a bit more effective. like antibiotic tablets, or something else they can do. Her being snappy, its no reflection on you. you havent done anything wrong.its just the pain is getting annoying for her.

They’ve just given us the same ointment today. I understand her pain completely, but I’m getting really worried, she says the pain is unbearable. Yep
Reply 6

What is the ointment called?
Reply 7
Original post by marple
Perhaps encourage her to go back - if the ointment hasn't cleared it up she may need antibiotics or something else. A minor infection shouldn't cause that much pain.

we got given another ointment today, my mum called the gp for another one as the one we have is almost finished. they won’t do anything.
They’ve just given us the same ointment today. I understand her pain completely, but I’m getting really worried, she says the pain is unbearable. Yep

Ring GP or 111 for advice. They might ask her to come in to check on it. Your doing well helping out, try not to let her emotions get to you, she's just projecting her pain onto you.
Reply 9
Ring GP or 111 for advice. They might ask her to come in to check on it. Your doing well helping out, try not to let her emotions get to you, she's just projecting her pain onto you.

If it doesn’t go down in two days time I definitely will, it’s really taking a toll on both her and me emotionally. Thank you for the advice.
Reply 10
Do you know what the infection is called?
Original post by Kerzen
Do you know what the infection is called?

No, it’s minor though, we were given antibiotics and my mum is taking painkillers, she gets upset when they wear off.
Reply 12
No, it’s minor though, we were given antibiotics and my mum is taking painkillers, she gets upset when they wear off.

It doesn't sound minor if she is in constant pain.

It sounds to me as though she needs something to help with the pain.

I'm unsure whether GPs are doing home visits at the moment; if they were, I would suggest asking for a home visit. Failing that, I would ring the surgery in the morning and ask for a phone consultation. A prescription for a better painkiller can be issued online; you can get prescriptions delivered to your door now, too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending