The Student Room Group

Private or Grammar Sixth Form?

I am currently in Year 11 and studying at one of the best grammar schools in the country. My sister began attending a wonderful private school on a full bursary in September and I have applied to this school for sixth form. They have awarded me an academic scholarship and a bursary so I will pay no fees if I attend. However, they have given me less than a week to accept the offer.

I adore the school I am currently at, especially my Spanish teacher, who will continue to teach me at A level if I stay. I have also only just settled into a wonderful friendship group, and am not the best at making new friends. However, the private school has more extra-curricular activities, careers provision and better facilities. The grades for both schools are outstanding but around the same level, although the private school has smaller class sizes.

Which school should I choose? I can provide the names of the schools if it would help with advice. I am nervous to leave my current school and fear that things like work experience and university scholarships will be closed to me if I attend the private school. We are not financially well-off at all. However, I think the private school may give better opportunities in life, a sentiment which my parents and friends share.

Is anyone able to help? Sorry this was so long. Any advice is appreciated :smile:
hey. personally think you should go for your grammar school, since a private school may bring you down in terms of your learning abilities, not the people, but just thee level of work, also I think a grammar school would have lots more opportunities for like student roles etc. go for what you want, forget about the free scholarship and stuff, just think about what you really want! good luck xx
Reply 2
Original post by cxsy watermelon
hey. personally think you should go for your grammar school, since a private school may bring you down in terms of your learning abilities, not the people, but just thee level of work, also I think a grammar school would have lots more opportunities for like student roles etc. go for what you want, forget about the free scholarship and stuff, just think about what you really want! good luck xx

Thank you so much for the advice! Most people I know have said to go for the private school so it’s great to hear a second opinion.

You are also correct about student roles, my current school has two head girls as well as a head girl team and house officers so there are lots of opportunities. On the other hand, the private school has one head girl and two deputies and that’s all (as far as I know).

I was just a little bit confused about what you mean by private schools weakening learning abilities, I know they tend to coddle a lot and aren’t as academic as grammars usually but I haven’t heard this before. Could you please explain that further? Thank you again and I hope you have a great day :smile:
Original post by fweyhasjww
I am currently in Year 11 and studying at one of the best grammar schools in the country. My sister began attending a wonderful private school on a full bursary in September and I have applied to this school for sixth form. They have awarded me an academic scholarship and a bursary so I will pay no fees if I attend. However, they have given me less than a week to accept the offer.

I adore the school I am currently at, especially my Spanish teacher, who will continue to teach me at A level if I stay. I have also only just settled into a wonderful friendship group, and am not the best at making new friends. However, the private school has more extra-curricular activities, careers provision and better facilities. The grades for both schools are outstanding but around the same level, although the private school has smaller class sizes.

Which school should I choose? I can provide the names of the schools if it would help with advice. I am nervous to leave my current school and fear that things like work experience and university scholarships will be closed to me if I attend the private school. We are not financially well-off at all. However, I think the private school may give better opportunities in life, a sentiment which my parents and friends share.

Is anyone able to help? Sorry this was so long. Any advice is appreciated :smile:

I'd stay where you are - don't waste time settling in :smile:
Thank you so much for the advice! Most people I know have said to go for the private school so it’s great to hear a second opinion.

You are also correct about student roles, my current school has two head girls as well as a head girl team and house officers so there are lots of opportunities. On the other hand, the private school has one head girl and two deputies and that’s all (as far as I know).

I was just a little bit confused about what you mean by private schools weakening learning abilities, I know they tend to coddle a lot and aren’t as academic as grammars usually but I haven’t heard this before. Could you please explain that further? Thank you again and I hope you have a great day :smile:

hey again! By private school bringing you down i meant that the studying may be a little harsh, but its the same for grammar school i might be wrong so dont take my word but it totally depends on your working abilities so just kind of disregard that statement!
what private school is it?
I think if you’re happy where you’re at, have good opportunities then you should stay. You have a good circle where you are and good opportunities, no point having to redo all that IMO
Reply 7
Original post by blobfish123
what private school is it?

Lady Eleanor Holles
never heard of that sorry
Reply 9
Lady Eleanor Holles

I go to LEH (sixth form) currently, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

LEH has 3 deputies and 1 head girl. There is also a leadership team who help the head girl team and also run a lot of the sixth form events (like the sixth form panto and the LEH-Hampton prom) but aren't as prominent (i.e you don't have to do open days and give talks to parents etc).
We also have roles like heads of house in the upper sixth as well as those, and in lower 6th there are 'positions of responsibilty' that you can apply for, such as department reps and music, drama + tech captains, and other things,
Reply 11
@igothere hey, do you know how many applicants for sixth form get in?
My entrance exam for LEH are tomorrow are they very hard . I know that's it's very competitive but if I get 7 and 8 for my exams do you think they would accept me for an interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending