The Student Room Group

REDOX A level Chemistry

Okay I am really confused about the redox concept. I have always learned that Oxidation is loss of electrons, and Reduction is gain of elections. OILRIG.

But I was doing this question and got confused:

ZnCl2 --> Zn + Cl2

From that, I deduced that Zinc is being oxidised. Zinc is a 2+ ion there, and so it GAINS two electrons to get a full outer shell. Because Oxidation is GAIN. But apparently Zinc is being reduced??

Pls help thank youu!!
Original post by Alessandro.C_27
Okay I am really confused about the redox concept. I have always learned that Oxidation is loss of electrons, and Reduction is gain of elections. OILRIG.

ZnCl2 --> Zn + Cl2

From that, I deduced that Zinc is being oxidised. Zinc is a 2+ ion there, and so it GAINS two electrons to get a full outer shell. Because Oxidation is GAIN. But apparently Zinc is being reduced??

Pls help thank youu!!

Hey zinc is not being reduced but is a reducing agent to the chlorine. there is an error somewhere as zinc is definitely being oxidised and chlorine reduced!
Perfect! That's what I thought also... I emailed my teacher so I will let you know what she says :smile:
Perfect! That's what I thought also... I emailed my teacher so I will let you know what she says :smile:

Is the reaction meant to be decomposition, i.e. is the arrow going to right way? Maybe I'm just confusing myself.

ZnCl2 --> Zn + Cl2

Pls help thank youu!!

You have contradicted yourself
OILRIG

Oxidation is loss of electrons
Reduction is gain of electrons

You deduced that zinc has 2+ and gains two electrons to form Zn.
Reduction is gain...so Zinc is reduced.
Original post by GabiAbi84
You have contradicted yourself
OILRIG

Oxidation is loss of electrons
Reduction is gain of electrons

You deduced that zinc has 2+ and gains two electrons to form Zn.
Reduction is gain...so Zinc is reduced.

That’s what I thought, however I saw someone agreed with OP reasoning. Then, I wondered if OP put the arrow the wrong way or something. For the backward reaction, zinc would be getting oxidised, so OP would be right (even if their explanation is contradictory). Confusing stuff, eh?
Original post by KaziMahathir
That’s what I thought, however I saw someone agreed with OP reasoning. Then, I wondered if OP put the arrow the wrong way or something. For the backward reaction, zinc would be getting oxidised, so OP would be right (even if their explanation is contradictory). Confusing stuff, eh?

With the equation they give they have given the correct breakdown of what’s happening, zinc is gaining electrons.

In the opposite form
Zn + Cl2 -> ZnCl2

Then yes, the opposite will occur and Zinc will be oxidised and be a reducing agent for Cl2.

Quick Reply

Latest