The Student Room Group

Do you think uni students should be compensated for disruption caused by COVID-19?

Just interested to hear people’s thoughts about this. Generally, the end of the previous academic year and this year have not been great for university students, with many experiencing disruption through cancelled/limited face to face sessions, isolation, lockdowns etc. It is safe to say that we have not had the full uni experience this year and some believe that this means we should not be treated in the same way as students before us when it comes to assessments.

So I would be interested to know, do you think that students should have some form of compensation/extra support due to Coronavirus? This may be in the form of a safety net/no detriment policy of some sort, lowered grade boundaries, not having to show proof for assessment extensions (for example, if you are experiencing bad mental health but have not been diagnosed, you wouldn’t need to prove that you have a recognised mental health problem to get an extension). Or compensation could be in the form of decreased uni fees.

I am on the fence, because in some ways I can see why they have not introduced any safety measures etc for our assessments, we were warned that uni would be mostly online this year and staff are mostly more prepared than they were back in March/April, so you could make the argument that we knew what we were in for. However, not everyone is willing to defer, a lot of people were already half-way through their degree when Covid hit and do not want to delay their studies any longer. Furthermore, even though we were warned that this year things would be different, that doesn’t take away from the fact that we are not receiving the same uni experience as previous years, yet are paying the same amount of fees and are being judged concerning assessments at the same level as those studying without the disruption of a pandemic.

Personally, I’m a second year student and I feel like I am seriously lacking in motivation this year, plus I am finding it difficult to concentrate due to a lack of structure and being home a lot. I’m still trying my best with assessments, just feel very overwhelmed and behind with them in a way I did not feel pre-pandemic, and a part of me just wishes that universities would put something in place to make us feel more supported. I haven’t had any essay marks back yet but I feel my performance hasn’t been as great (might just be in my head tho). Overall I’m not sure how I feel about this and just wanted to know the opinions of other uni students right now. (Sorry for the essay btw, just wanted to get it off my chest!)
I personally think we should get a reduced rate than what we are paying if we were to have face-to-face lectures.
No. The fees for most UK students are pretty arbitrary & they still get access to university library content, journals, careers teams, software, subsidized su & course content.

Universities can’t really afford to just discount at will, they are already struggling massively financially, lots are financially committed to contracts and plans made long before COVID. If you don’t wanna pay the fee then don’t enroll for the year.
Reduced rates.
Reply 4
I've been happy with teaching this year. I prefer it over pre-pandemic. It was a bit bumpy at first but things settled. I am behind over the last 3 weeks though, family life and uni all in one house is difficult. Im doing pretty well with my grades but I'm disappointed that we have to do things like group presentations online. I just don't have the motivation for working with other people right now. Motivation is starting to slow down and I just can't be bothered. Luckily, it's the Christmas break soon and I can recharge.
Overall, I'm happy paying what I am. The support has been better this year.
Nah, You can't just beg for compo every time there's a global disaster. In case you missed it we're now sitting in the middle of a huge 'My group needs priority treatment!' mess where everyone shouts.

TBH I feel those students 'not willing' to defer are making their own simple choice, personally I deferred because this year was clearly going to be a trainwreck.

What's the next plan? ask for compo when the pubs reopen because it's not as sociable and you're missing out on the true pub experience?
I think there is a good argument made for compensation, often the reason for the charge in a high price for doing a uni course is the experience, but what experience, if there's just teaching online, and access to courses, it's like the open university, which is far cheaper.
However uni's might not be able to offer compensation given contracts, among other things.
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
Nah, You can't just beg for compo every time there's a global disaster. In case you missed it we're now sitting in the middle of a huge 'My group needs priority treatment!' mess where everyone shouts.

TBH I feel those students 'not willing' to defer are making their own simple choice, personally I deferred because this year was clearly going to be a trainwreck.

What's the next plan? ask for compo when the pubs reopen because it's not as sociable and you're missing out on the true pub experience?

Okay.. calm down.. I was asking a question to see what people’s opinions were and I already said I was on the fence about it. I also said I can understand why they haven’t given us any extra help with assessments because we already knew it was going to be online. So overall I don’t mind if we don’t get any compensation. I just asked because I know a lot of people at my uni feel their mental health is terrible and they are convinced their degree outcome will be affected by this. That’s all. My uni implemented a no-detriment policy last year so a lot are thinking they should be doing it this year as well. I also knew this year would be a “train wreck” but unfortunately I was already in my first year when Covid hit and so it wasn’t as easy or as tempting to defer as it is for those who were lucky enough to have not started at uni yet pre-pandemic. As I said before, it’s not that easy to just defer. It’s very difficult to get a job right now, so that was another factor that convinced me to carry on with uni. But that doesn’t change the fact that all my contact hours have been cancelled and for a couple of my modules we haven’t even had online lectures, just been told to teach ourselves from a PowerPoint. Just a bit frustrating and wanted to see what other people thought of their uni’s.
Reply 8
Original post by Plain1
I've been happy with teaching this year. I prefer it over pre-pandemic. It was a bit bumpy at first but things settled. I am behind over the last 3 weeks though, family life and uni all in one house is difficult. Im doing pretty well with my grades but I'm disappointed that we have to do things like group presentations online. I just don't have the motivation for working with other people right now. Motivation is starting to slow down and I just can't be bothered. Luckily, it's the Christmas break soon and I can recharge.
Overall, I'm happy paying what I am. The support has been better this year.

That’s great that you feel that way and you feel you’re getting your money’s worth! Unfortunately from what I’ve heard from other students at my uni, you seem to be in the minority tho haha, unless it’s just my uni that’s the problem.
Original post by Dolphingirl161
I personally think we should get a reduced rate than what we are paying if we were to have face-to-face lectures.

Yeah true
Original post by Cheesybread
I think there is a good argument made for compensation, often the reason for the charge in a high price for doing a uni course is the experience, but what experience, if there's just teaching online, and access to courses, it's like the open university, which is far cheaper.
However uni's might not be able to offer compensation given contracts, among other things.

I agree, it does feel a lot like open university hahaha. Yes, I was wondering whether it would actually be possible for them to offer compensation. But my uni did offer a no detriment policy last year, so maybe they could do something similar to that again this year.

The teaching might be more similar to the open uni, everything else isnt.

The open uni cant provide the same access to archives, libraries, journals, software, careers teams, subsidised SU services, access to seminars/talks by researchers, contact time with world class researchers.

The education delivery is one part of what a university offers, and honestly half the time students skip these anyway. Their are lots of other resources still available (id argue the best resources are still available).
No one is forcing students to enrol, if they dont like the fee dont go (which in most UK students cases is paid for by SFE and the students arent ever going to pay the loan back anyway...).
Original post by Anonymous
Okay.. calm down.. I was asking a question to see what people’s opinions were and I already said I was on the fence about it. I also said I can understand why they haven’t given us any extra help with assessments because we already knew it was going to be online. So overall I don’t mind if we don’t get any compensation. I just asked because I know a lot of people at my uni feel their mental health is terrible and they are convinced their degree outcome will be affected by this. That’s all. My uni implemented a no-detriment policy last year so a lot are thinking they should be doing it this year as well. I also knew this year would be a “train wreck” but unfortunately I was already in my first year when Covid hit and so it wasn’t as easy or as tempting to defer as it is for those who were lucky enough to have not started at uni yet pre-pandemic. As I said before, it’s not that easy to just defer. It’s very difficult to get a job right now, so that was another factor that convinced me to carry on with uni. But that doesn’t change the fact that all my contact hours have been cancelled and for a couple of my modules we haven’t even had online lectures, just been told to teach ourselves from a PowerPoint. Just a bit frustrating and wanted to see what other people thought of their uni’s.

I am calm, but it is how I feel, not particularly about your thread but in general. I feel a lot of people are trying to make connections between covid and compensation that aren't valid, as @mnot pointed out, it's not like the unis expenses have significantly dropped, who compensates them?. Past a point a global epidemic and chaos is what it is, everyone's upset, people are losing X,Y, Z, often in ways that make education disruption look petty.

Deferral is a choice for everyone, I left at the end of 2nd year determined to earn what I could to stay afloat, i'm not saying my choice is for everyone, but it's there. In fairness i'm a mature student so more confident stopping & starting.
Original post by StriderHort
I am calm, but it is how I feel, not particularly about your thread but in general. I feel a lot of people are trying to make connections between covid and compensation that aren't valid, as @mnot pointed out, it's not like the unis expenses have significantly dropped, who compensates them?. Past a point a global epidemic and chaos is what it is, everyone's upset, people are losing X,Y, Z, often in ways that make education disruption look petty.

Deferral is a choice for everyone, I left at the end of 2nd year determined to earn what I could to stay afloat, i'm not saying my choice is for everyone, but it's there. In fairness i'm a mature student so more confident stopping & starting.

Okay, that’s fair enough. I do understand where you’re coming from and you are right, everyone’s upset and struggling in some way. I kinda just started this thread to get it off my chest and see what other people thought, but I know you said it wasn’t in particular about my thread so that’s fine.
Original post by mnot
The teaching might be more similar to the open uni, everything else isnt.

The open uni cant provide the same access to archives, libraries, journals, software, careers teams, subsidised SU services, access to seminars/talks by researchers, contact time with world class researchers.

The education delivery is one part of what a university offers, and honestly half the time students skip these anyway. Their are lots of other resources still available (id argue the best resources are still available).
No one is forcing students to enrol, if they dont like the fee dont go (which in most UK students cases is paid for by SFE and the students arent ever going to pay the loan back anyway...).

Contact time varies often and i went to Uni! and journals are often free on google scholar and academia. It is true it is a choice to go, but for a lot of people that choice is due to wanting the experience as well as the education.
Contact time varies often and i went to Uni! and journals are often free on google scholar and academia. It is true it is a choice to go, but for a lot of people that choice is due to wanting the experience as well as the education.

True, some journals are free (many are not & most require institutional login) & admittedly the social aspect is not the same during a global pandemic. But that is not what the university fees are for, and its not just the university social experience that is muted by a pandemic its everyone in the UK.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest