What do you think of this university.
It’s one of my 5
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi success4life
I appreciate that you're looking for honest, impartial feedback about Staffs, so I won't try to link you to any of our student testimonials.
I really hope you get the information you need.
If we can help with anything outside of that, we're here
Best wishes and good luck with your uni choices,
Shaun
Anonymous #1
Report 6 months ago
I did my BSc, and currently my MSc at Staffs, both in psychology. I've loved my time there and although this past year has been very different, the support is great, I enjoy the campus (leek road) & the Cadman library. It's not too far from Hanley city centre which is helpful and is literally next door to the train station.
trinitya
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I did my BSc, and currently my MSc at Staffs, both in psychology. I've loved my time there and although this past year has been very different, the support is great, I enjoy the campus (leek road) & the Cadman library. It's not too far from Hanley city centre which is helpful and is literally next door to the train station.
Hi, I'm looking to do Psychology at uni but am finding it difficult to chose a course because I don't have a specific area of Psych that I want to go into. Would you mind explaining a little about the BSc Psych course at Staffordshire, and like what areas of Psych you cover?
Anonymous #1
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by trinitya)
Hi, I'm looking to do Psychology at uni but am finding it difficult to chose a course because I don't have a specific area of Psych that I want to go into. Would you mind explaining a little about the BSc Psych course at Staffordshire, and like what areas of Psych you cover?
hey! so I did their BSc psychology and counselling so one module a year differed from like single honors psychology.

We covered research methods across all three years (qual & quant, and then the dissertation in 3rd year), a module covering the foundations (basics) of psychology, then psych perspectives, developmental psych, cognition and biology in behaviour, social psych, atypical psych
and then for dual honours, we chose one optional module in 2nd year, and two in 3rd. (i did an additional social module, then health psy, and psych interventions. they had options to do like evolutionary psych, a crime/forensic one, a placement one etc.)

If you're not sure what area you're interested in I think Staffs would be a good shout, but I'm sure any single honours psychology degree would be similar. I think when you're researching check to see if the course is BPS accredited. This will make it easier for you if you chose to progress to further psych study/training
Staffordshire University
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi trinitya

You can also chat to one of our Psychology students at Unibuddy.

Chat to Beth at Unibuddy

If there's anything else you need, feel free to email us at [email protected] and they will be able to help.

Best wishes, Shaun
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hanley has history:
https://youtu.be/VZsV6Y1oGfM
Staffordshire University
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by NJA)
Hanley has history:
https://youtu.be/VZsV6Y1oGfM
Thanks for sharing. This is always a great story to read. The Lidice memorial always stands out to me as well - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-24639928 - Shaun
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Staffordshire University)
Thanks for sharing. This is always a great story to read. The Lidice memorial always stands out to me as well - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-24639928 - Shaun
I found out a bit about it because I do a bit of stamp wheeler-dealer-ing, I had this commemorative cover which I'm trying to flog on eBay seeing as I can't find another one anywhere but I suspect demand will also be pretty low
Name:  130084787_10221831436366706_4960503396356360782_o.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  92.8 KB
Last edited by NJA; 6 months ago
trinitya
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
hey! so I did their BSc psychology and counselling so one module a year differed from like single honors psychology.

We covered research methods across all three years (qual & quant, and then the dissertation in 3rd year), a module covering the foundations (basics) of psychology, then psych perspectives, developmental psych, cognition and biology in behaviour, social psych, atypical psych
and then for dual honours, we chose one optional module in 2nd year, and two in 3rd. (i did an additional social module, then health psy, and psych interventions. they had options to do like evolutionary psych, a crime/forensic one, a placement one etc.)

If you're not sure what area you're interested in I think Staffs would be a good shout, but I'm sure any single honours psychology degree would be similar. I think when you're researching check to see if the course is BPS accredited. This will make it easier for you if you chose to progress to further psych study/training
Thank you for going into detail, that's really helpful. I've read through all the psychology courses they have at Staffordshire and they all look so interesting! I'm interested in doing a placement year as well, so it's good to see they have options for those as well and I'll definitely be on the lookout for BPS accredited course all round, thanks for that advice.

I know you said you did different modules in your third year, but just out of curiosity do you know how difficult it is to get on Psych work placements? No worries if not
trinitya
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Staffordshire University)
Hi trinitya

You can also chat to one of our Psychology students at Unibuddy.

Chat to Beth at Unibuddy

If there's anything else you need, feel free to email us at [email protected] and they will be able to help.

Best wishes, Shaun
thank you Shaun that's really helpful
Anonymous #1
Report 6 months ago
Thank you for going into detail, that's really helpful. I've read through all the psychology courses they have at Staffordshire and they all look so interesting! I'm interested in doing a placement year as well, so it's good to see they have options for those as well and I'll definitely be on the lookout for BPS accredited course all round, thanks for that advice.

I know you said you did different modules in your third year, but just out of curiosity do you know how difficult it is to get on Psych work placements? No worries if not
a couple of girls from my counselling group chose to do a placement module, and the uni helped to find placement providers for them, i don't know much of the details for undergrad, but I know one of them worked with youth offenders. I don't know of anyone having issues getting placements, but i do know they offer research assistant placements within the psych department for those that want/can't for whatever reason sort a placement out.
For my masters however, a placement is a core module and the process has been super easy; getting the dbs checks & they asked if we had any particular interest areas (my friend will be working for an acquired brain injury service for example) and how far we could travel etc.
Vanessa03
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

Hey! I’ve applied to do the same course (psychology with a placement year). I’m still yet to make my decision cause I’m still researching but maybe I’ll see you there lol!
trinitya
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
a couple of girls from my counselling group chose to do a placement module, and the uni helped to find placement providers for them, i don't know much of the details for undergrad, but I know one of them worked with youth offenders. I don't know of anyone having issues getting placements, but i do know they offer research assistant placements within the psych department for those that want/can't for whatever reason sort a placement out.
For my masters however, a placement is a core module and the process has been super easy; getting the dbs checks & they asked if we had any particular interest areas (my friend will be working for an acquired brain injury service for example) and how far we could travel etc.
Oh ok I understand, I'm really close to finalising all my choices now and this advice has been helpful! Thanks again, I really appreciate the assistance!
trinitya
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Vanessa03)
Hey! I’ve applied to do the same course (psychology with a placement year). I’m still yet to make my decision cause I’m still researching but maybe I’ll see you there lol!
Hi Nice to see someone in the same boat as me, I've been researching like crazy! Can I ask if you've sent off your final UCAS application yet? Pretty much all of mine is done but not sent off yet because I'm kinda worried that I haven't picked the right unis lol
Vanessa03
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi Nice to see someone in the same boat as me, I've been researching like crazy! Can I ask if you've sent off your final UCAS application yet? Pretty much all of mine is done but not sent off yet because I'm kinda worried that I haven't picked the right unis lol
Yeah I sent it off in around September-November as my school wanted it in earlier. I got accepted about two-three weeks later I believe. Still researching other unis tho haha!
Last edited by Vanessa03; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (50)
30.3%
No (115)
69.7%

Watched Threads