The Student Room Group

places in europe to do erasmus

hey I m doing erasmus next year on september and was wondering what places you d advise to go on erasmus. It could be from what you ve heard or experienced, but consider for your opinion that far more than the prestige of the uni (one of my goals from doing erasmus is to increase my grades compared to what i have here), i m interested in a good social and cultural environment with special regard for erasmus/international students. I have considered some places which would like your feedback on:

- Paris: even though I m fascinated (platonically) by paris as i think it would fit me immensely (idk there s something about the way people look so.. ostensive and at the same time liberal, the architecture looks melancholic, the language is dazzling), but i ve heard very negative reviews from the place, the unis (dont give a sht about you as an international student) and that overall it isn't cozy. you re just someone else. and no i dont believe that is a common trait for all big cities.

- poland: i ve heard they speak english so bad i won't be understood most of the times, and that they dont tolerate well with... lets say - people from other countries... but the beer and educational system is nice

- maribor, bratislava, Lithuania, latvia, estonia, budapest,

- spain ... some local smaller city like girona, murcia, salamanca, valladolid, valencia.. oh and canarias

croatia, greece, malta: it d be good but have been told employers will look at it and just think (he went there to sun tan and party, just like with canaries for example)

- Italy: have been told law schools there are way too demanding and increasing grades won't happen.. at least with some level of party and fun.

- norway (bergen) and finland: i m also very fond of nordic countries but idk could be wrong about them... what if they are cold and distant? i may feel lost in a cold country with cold distant people...

Also, if you know some website that analyses these factors when recommending places or some forums that discuss this please tell me!
Here is my personal opinion. I will go through each of the options and then make a 'ranking' at the end.

Paris: Personally, this would be my favorite place on an aesthetic level, but I'm not sure about it on an educational level. I agree with your description of it and I think it's very beautiful, but I also understand your criticisms. I think it depends on the university, it would be a generalization to say all of them don't care about their students, but I've also heard that the university atmosphere is incredibly independent. You have to figure out if you're up for that challenge; if you succeed, it would look even more impressive that you managed to achieve good grades almost entirely independently, but obviously if you're not a very independent learner it could be detrimental. Plus, the universities in Paris are usually considered quite prestigious, so it would definitely look good on a resume. Which school are you looking at?
When you say that 'you're just someone else in a big city', I understand what you're saying, but this is not necessarily the case. You just need to find your people, and then Paris becomes surprisingly cozy and small. I lived there for a summer, made a small group of friends with who I'd do everything with and it was amazing. If you don't manage to do this, there is a chance that you might feel a bit small in such a big city, but from a poetic view, it could be nice to lose yourself in a city.

Poland: Whilst I do love Poland, I'm not sure it would be a great place to study. I've never studied there so this isn't a first-hand experience, but from what I've heard the university system isn't great. I have a friend who moved to the UK from Poland and when I expressed my desire to travel there she told me I shouldn't. She said it's quite run down and as you said, their culture is quite closed off to outsiders. I don't know how true this would be to study there on an Erasmus year though since you will be surrounded by international students and I highly doubt you'll be going around the more run-down areas of the country. On the bright side, Poland is a fascinating place I've heard, and if you do manage to embrace their culture and get in with the locals it sounds spectacular!

Maribor, Bratislava, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Budapest: I'm going to be completely honest, the only one I have heard of anyone studying in is Budapest. My step-sister did an Erasmus year there and she has nothing bad to say about it. She adored the city (and has taken the family there twice since she finished her year), loved the social/party atmosphere, thought the university really helped her progress, and just loved the experience in general. I can definitely understand where she is coming from because when I traveled there it was incredible. The city is so vibrant, the people are warm and inviting, there is always something to do and the architecture is stunning. The only thing I thought was sad was the extreme levels of poverty that I saw almost everywhere I went, it was shocking and upsetting as I couldn't help them all. But on the whole I'd probably say it's my favorite.

Spain: For Spain, I'd recommend studying in Valencia, as I think a larger city is always the best option when it comes to study abroad years. Once again, very inviting people and I've heard that the universities are good and the professors do their best to help the students. From what I've heard it is quite...independent though, kind of like with Paris. You're an individual in the country before you find your group of friends. It's a good destination if you like your warmth and beaches.

Croatia, Greece, Malta: For the exact reasons you put, I wouldn't recommend it. All beautiful countries but on an educational level, I'm not too sure if it's the best option.

Italy: You're right that the law schools are demanding, but an increase in grades isn't impossible. As with everything, it depends on how much effort you're going to put in. It does depend on what university you're looking at, but I think that Italian universities, on the whole, would look impressive to employers. Italian people are also welcoming, and I don't think you'll struggle to find a close group of friends. Italy can get pretty expensive though. I don't really have any more negatives about Italy.

Norway and Finland: Two of my favorite countries. Whilst they might be cold, yes, I don't think they're distant. The educational system, and pretty much all of their systems, are very efficient, and I think adapting to life there will be very simple. I think living there will help you to mature very quickly, but finding friends will be fairly easy. Their culture is so unique too, so that would be very interesting to explore in my opinion.

My overall ranking: Budapest, Norway, and Finland, Paris, Italy, Spain, Poland, Croatia, Greece, Malta.
Original post by Anonymous
Here is my personal opinion. I will go through each of the options and then make a 'ranking' at the end.

Paris: Personally, this would be my favorite place on an aesthetic level, but I'm not sure about it on an educational level. I agree with your description of it and I think it's very beautiful, but I also understand your criticisms. I think it depends on the university, it would be a generalization to say all of them don't care about their students, but I've also heard that the university atmosphere is incredibly independent. You have to figure out if you're up for that challenge; if you succeed, it would look even more impressive that you managed to achieve good grades almost entirely independently, but obviously if you're not a very independent learner it could be detrimental. Plus, the universities in Paris are usually considered quite prestigious, so it would definitely look good on a resume. Which school are you looking at?
When you say that 'you're just someone else in a big city', I understand what you're saying, but this is not necessarily the case. You just need to find your people, and then Paris becomes surprisingly cozy and small. I lived there for a summer, made a small group of friends with who I'd do everything with and it was amazing. If you don't manage to do this, there is a chance that you might feel a bit small in such a big city, but from a poetic view, it could be nice to lose yourself in a city.

Poland: Whilst I do love Poland, I'm not sure it would be a great place to study. I've never studied there so this isn't a first-hand experience, but from what I've heard the university system isn't great. I have a friend who moved to the UK from Poland and when I expressed my desire to travel there she told me I shouldn't. She said it's quite run down and as you said, their culture is quite closed off to outsiders. I don't know how true this would be to study there on an Erasmus year though since you will be surrounded by international students and I highly doubt you'll be going around the more run-down areas of the country. On the bright side, Poland is a fascinating place I've heard, and if you do manage to embrace their culture and get in with the locals it sounds spectacular!

Maribor, Bratislava, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Budapest: I'm going to be completely honest, the only one I have heard of anyone studying in is Budapest. My step-sister did an Erasmus year there and she has nothing bad to say about it. She adored the city (and has taken the family there twice since she finished her year), loved the social/party atmosphere, thought the university really helped her progress, and just loved the experience in general. I can definitely understand where she is coming from because when I traveled there it was incredible. The city is so vibrant, the people are warm and inviting, there is always something to do and the architecture is stunning. The only thing I thought was sad was the extreme levels of poverty that I saw almost everywhere I went, it was shocking and upsetting as I couldn't help them all. But on the whole I'd probably say it's my favorite.

Spain: For Spain, I'd recommend studying in Valencia, as I think a larger city is always the best option when it comes to study abroad years. Once again, very inviting people and I've heard that the universities are good and the professors do their best to help the students. From what I've heard it is quite...independent though, kind of like with Paris. You're an individual in the country before you find your group of friends. It's a good destination if you like your warmth and beaches.

Croatia, Greece, Malta: For the exact reasons you put, I wouldn't recommend it. All beautiful countries but on an educational level, I'm not too sure if it's the best option.

Italy: You're right that the law schools are demanding, but an increase in grades isn't impossible. As with everything, it depends on how much effort you're going to put in. It does depend on what university you're looking at, but I think that Italian universities, on the whole, would look impressive to employers. Italian people are also welcoming, and I don't think you'll struggle to find a close group of friends. Italy can get pretty expensive though. I don't really have any more negatives about Italy.

Norway and Finland: Two of my favorite countries. Whilst they might be cold, yes, I don't think they're distant. The educational system, and pretty much all of their systems, are very efficient, and I think adapting to life there will be very simple. I think living there will help you to mature very quickly, but finding friends will be fairly easy. Their culture is so unique too, so that would be very interesting to explore in my opinion.

My overall ranking: Budapest, Norway, and Finland, Paris, Italy, Spain, Poland, Croatia, Greece, Malta.

Sorry I forgot to include these destinations: Brno, Prague, Olomouc, Ruse, Sofia, Zurich, Vienna. What do you think about these?
Original post by Eccentric Goatie
Sorry I forgot to include these destinations: Brno, Prague, Olomouc, Ruse, Sofia, Zurich, Vienna. What do you think about these?

I don't know anything about Brno, Olomouc or Ruse, so I won't comment on them because I don't see the point. However, I wouldn't say they'd be very well recognised by an employers so I wouldn't go for them personally. You should do some research into them though if you're interested.

Sofia. I know a guy who studied there. Although he enjoys it, I'd say it's because he's stayed within his small English bubble and he is very rich and was able to buy himself a city centre penthouse, so I'm not sure if his experience will be universal! From the pictures I've seen of Sofia it looks incredibly run down. Personally I wouldn't nominate it as a top study abroad destination.

Zurich sounds like a great idea. It's a centre of finance, would probably have lots of opportunities to offer. Would look good on a CV to study there. Beautiful city and friendly people. I would put it near the top of the list personally.

I've always heard great things about Vienna too. A place of rich culture and well known for its educational standards. I'd put it near the top too.

This is what I'd recommend. Write a rough list ranking all the destinations. Then cut the list in half. With the remaining destinations, you should look into the universities and where they rank. Explore the cities virtually (using Google Earth or YouTube vlogs). Use Reddit to ask people about their experiences. Write a new ranking list. Cut it in half. Then carry on that process until you have a final destination.
I did Erasmus in Athens. The work was very easy, so it didn’t hurt my grade average and I really enjoyed it overall.
Original post by shak101
Poland. Cheap blowjobs.

Original post by shak101
Poland. Cheap blowjobs.

Personal experience?
hey I m doing erasmus next year on september and was wondering what places you d advise to go on erasmus. It could be from what you ve heard or experienced, but consider for your opinion that far more than the prestige of the uni (one of my goals from doing erasmus is to increase my grades compared to what i have here), i m interested in a good social and cultural environment with special regard for erasmus/international students. I have considered some places which would like your feedback on:

- Paris: even though I m fascinated (platonically) by paris as i think it would fit me immensely (idk there s something about the way people look so.. ostensive and at the same time liberal, the architecture looks melancholic, the language is dazzling), but i ve heard very negative reviews from the place, the unis (dont give a sht about you as an international student) and that overall it isn't cozy. you re just someone else. and no i dont believe that is a common trait for all big cities.

- poland: i ve heard they speak english so bad i won't be understood most of the times, and that they dont tolerate well with... lets say - people from other countries... but the beer and educational system is nice

- spain ... some local smaller city like girona, murcia, salamanca, valladolid, valencia.. oh and canarias

croatia, greece, malta: it d be good but have been told employers will look at it and just think (he went there to sun tan and party, just like with canaries for example)

- Italy: have been told law schools there are way too demanding and increasing grades won't happen.. at least with some level of party and fun.

- norway (bergen) and finland: i m also very fond of nordic countries but idk could be wrong about them... what if they are cold and distant? i may feel lost in a cold country with cold distant people...

Also, if you know some website that analyses these factors when recommending places or some forums that discuss this please tell me!

@Eccentric Goatie
I've traveled to a lot of the countries that you have mentioned so I thought I would note some practical considerations.

If money was no option, I would go to Scandinavia with Norway being the top of my list. The public transport and general atmosphere is fantastic. However, Norway in-particular can be very expensive, especially in major cities like Oslo (a lovely opera house though, I stood on the roof!)

Poland is very cheap to live in, and Poland has a fascinating rich cultural history. Travel is pretty easy, I think Flix bus still do some excellent deals to get you around. If you are really into history this might be the place for you

Paris - I absolutely love, however, don't be fooled by the romanticized image of any of these places. Parisians are lovely and very stylish usually, however some area's of the city are a little run down. There is a big emphasis on speaking French

Spain - reasonably priced, lovely people, bit too warm for me in the summer

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

I understand what you re saying about destinations like Paris and Italy but honestly law is already a demanding degree in my country, plus my uni restricts most grades to lower than 14/20. My goal is similar to most of the law students from my uni, to have fun, get some relief from studying well and obviously lift the marks and degree average. I actually have studied in some institutions where independent studying is a “culture” for higher education, and I m hoping to vary. I want to go to a place where people don’t finish classes and go home. You get what I m saying? Idk if Paris, Zurich, Belgium... or Italy is like that... but essentially I m looking to go for a place whose living is an similar, preparing antecedent to the kind of lifestyle you have when you re young and start working: independence, social and domestic constant coexistence etc etc. if it isn’t like this I sure wouldnt feel the need to emerge into another country.
In France I could choose: universite Toulouse 1 Capitole, university de Strasbourg, universite Paris descartes - Paris 5, universite de cergy pontoise, university Paris ouest nanterre la defense, university se rouen - normandie, universite du le havre, university grenoble alpes, universite Paris 13, universite de Bourgogne, universite pierre-mendes France faculty of law, universite paris-sud.

I also got some interest in going to another town other than amsterdam, like... Groningen idk.

My favorites are: 1. Norway (Bergen) or Finland (univ of turku) 2. Budapest 3. Any other east europe destination (like Ljubljana, Prague, Brno, Bratislava) 4. still Paris even though I know its conditions do not favor an erasmus student
I did Erasmus in Athens. The work was very easy, so it didn’t hurt my grade average and I really enjoyed it overall.

I have the options of univ of Macedonia and Aristotle Univ of Thessaloniki. What do you advise? How was the social and cultural environment, partying and people in general?
Reply 9

Polish people are a warm welcoming set, I don't know where you've heard that they're not. The Polish language is a massive pain in the arse but if you learn basic Polish, they'll love you.

In the Baltics, you will experience both Scandinavian and Russian influences, it's quite an interesting and unique experience. I'd also add Budapest as a city to check out, great for the party atmosphere.

I love Paris, I visit once a year at least but I wouldn't live there, outside the tourist areas, it's a cesspit. Vienna and Zürich are great though expensive.

My ranking:

Poland (Warsaw)

Latvia (Rīga)

Estonia (Tallinn or Tartu)

Hungary (Budapest)

Czech Republic (Prague)

Switzerland (Zürich)

Austria (Vienna)

Scandinavia

Anywhere else

France (Paris)

If you want any additional information on the East, let me know.
I have the options of univ of Macedonia and Aristotle Univ of Thessaloniki. What do you advise? How was the social and cultural environment, partying and people in general?

Greece is obviously a European country, but there are a lot of Eastern influences. Most young people speak English quite well and Greeks are generally friendly. People there are less shy than those in the UK, but they can seem a bit abrupt at times. Greeks are not as politically correct as we are.

The university was not an efficient organisation and it could be difficult to contact people. That didn’t really matter to me, though it could be a factor depending on your course.

There were plenty of parties and the social side was a lot of fun. Be aware that people smoke everywhere, even though it’s technically illegal to smoke in enclosed public spaces.

I found life in Greece more chaotic and more enjoyable than in the UK. Erasmus was one of the best experiences of my life and I’m sure you’ll love it.
Original post by SkanPad
Polish people are a warm welcoming set, I don't know where you've heard that they're not. The Polish language is a massive pain in the arse but if you learn basic Polish, they'll love you.

In the Baltics, you will experience both Scandinavian and Russian influences, it's quite an interesting and unique experience. I'd also add Budapest as a city to check out, great for the party atmosphere.

I love Paris, I visit once a year at least but I wouldn't live there, outside the tourist areas, it's a cesspit. Vienna and Zürich are great though expensive.

My ranking:

Poland (Warsaw)

Latvia (Rīga)

Estonia (Tallinn or Tartu)

Hungary (Budapest)

Czech Republic (Prague)

Switzerland (Zürich)

Austria (Vienna)

Scandinavia

Anywhere else

France (Paris)

If you want any additional information on the East, let me know.

I d very much appreciate some info on Eastern Europe and Nordic countries, as they have been among my predilections from the beginning
Greece is obviously a European country, but there are a lot of Eastern influences. Most young people speak English quite well and Greeks are generally friendly. People there are less shy than those in the UK, but they can seem a bit abrupt at times. Greeks are not as politically correct as we are.

The university was not an efficient organisation and it could be difficult to contact people. That didn’t really matter to me, though it could be a factor depending on your course.

There were plenty of parties and the social side was a lot of fun. Be aware that people smoke everywhere, even though it’s technically illegal to smoke in enclosed public spaces.

I found life in Greece more chaotic and more enjoyable than in the UK. Erasmus was one of the best experiences of my life and I’m sure you’ll love it.

Are there many international students or is it natural for them to include international students in parties?

Did you meet any law student there? Did they enjoy it?

I mean I m an open, reasonably extrovert person who enjoys partying. Would Greece fit me? How s the beaches and temperature?
Are there many international students or is it natural for them to include international students in parties?

Did you meet any law student there? Did they enjoy it?

I mean I m an open, reasonably extrovert person who enjoys partying. Would Greece fit me? How s the beaches and temperature?

I studied law. Let’s just say that I didn’t kill myself and I received the maximum mark in all of my modules, which was the equivalent of 80. It was possible to cheat during one of the exams and one of the lecturers just talked about random junk and didn’t teach us anything. I know a few people who did Erasmus in Germany and their marks went down, so you have to be careful where you go. I think it should be possible to look up past marks on the university websites. The courses were generally enjoyable even though they weren’t rigorous.

There were quite a few Erasmus parties and there are kiosks which sell cheap alcohol. The weather was very good when I was there. Prepare for mosquitoes! 🦟 Greeks and other Europeans are generally more sociable than we are, so making friends shouldn’t be an issue if you’re outgoing. You’ll probably be staying in Erasmus accommodate and meeting people shouldn’t be a problem.

I don’t know enough about your potential locations or universities to comment specifically.
I understand what you re saying about destinations like Paris and Italy but honestly law is already a demanding degree in my country, plus my uni restricts most grades to lower than 14/20. My goal is similar to most of the law students from my uni, to have fun, get some relief from studying well and obviously lift the marks and degree average. I actually have studied in some institutions where independent studying is a “culture” for higher education, and I m hoping to vary. I want to go to a place where people don’t finish classes and go home. You get what I m saying? Idk if Paris, Zurich, Belgium... or Italy is like that... but essentially I m looking to go for a place whose living is an similar, preparing antecedent to the kind of lifestyle you have when you re young and start working: independence, social and domestic constant coexistence etc etc. if it isn’t like this I sure wouldnt feel the need to emerge into another country.
In France I could choose: universite Toulouse 1 Capitole, university de Strasbourg, universite Paris descartes - Paris 5, universite de cergy pontoise, university Paris ouest nanterre la defense, university se rouen - normandie, universite du le havre, university grenoble alpes, universite Paris 13, universite de Bourgogne, universite pierre-mendes France faculty of law, universite paris-sud.

I also got some interest in going to another town other than amsterdam, like... Groningen idk.

My favorites are: 1. Norway (Bergen) or Finland (univ of turku) 2. Budapest 3. Any other east europe destination (like Ljubljana, Prague, Brno, Bratislava) 4. still Paris even though I know its conditions do not favor an erasmus student

Yeah I totally understand what you're saying and it's great that you're asking yourself this questions because you're making it much clearer for yourself. Maybe not Paris then, or Rome, as I do understand how these cities could be quite 'go to class and go home' if you're not careful.
In France, I know that Strasbourg and Toulouse are very well known for law, and they're both beautiful cities. Rouen and Grenoble are quite close communities and I know that there is a great social life (I love Rouen as a city and I have made some great friends there so I would definitely recommend you look into it, it's incredible!). The others I wouldn't really recommend that much for what you're looking for.

I've heard good things about the Dutch university system so it's worth looking into.

Your list so far looks good! Definitely keep looking into it and doing your research. Is there no way you could travel to one of the cities for a weekend to check it out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending