The Student Room Group

Completely lost with my university application

Mildly hyperventilating at the moment.
I don't know what to do at university. I love creative/less academic subjects like psychology, criminology, english (creative writing) and film studies but I know realistically doing a degree in any of those subjects won't come to anything. But on the other hand, I want to enjoy my time at university, and there's no other viable route for me (like employment or apprenticeship).
I have decided to do computer science at the moment but I'm really worried about it because I'm not particularly good at maths and I don't enjoy maths. The only thing I can think of doing is AI which has a bit of psychology in it. But I'm worried I won't fit in - there will be mostly guys, who all know what they're doing, and if not, they'll at least have more of an interest than me... any advice on what I should do?
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know what to do at university. I love creative/less academic subjects like psychology, criminology, english (creative writing) and film studies but I know realistically doing a degree in any of those subjects won't come to anything. But on the other hand, I want to enjoy my time at university, and there's no other viable route for me (like employment or apprenticeship).
I have decided to do computer science at the moment but I'm really worried about it because I'm not particularly good at maths and I don't enjoy maths. The only thing I can think of doing is AI which has a bit of psychology in it. But I'm worried I won't fit in - there will be mostly guys, who all know what they're doing, and if not, they'll at least have more of an interest than me... any advice on what I should do?

Firstly, the fact you have a degree is usually enough because of the skills you learn regardless of the context. (For example most teachers start off doing something else and then get their teaching qualifications later in life and change careers)
If you enjoy it and you’re good at it then go ahead.

Secondly the deadline for choices is 15th jan so give it a week or so to think. Don’t let your schools internal deadline force you into making a choice you’re not ready for. Try and find some course handbooks or prospectus to see if it suits you. My advice would be to write a generic personal statement so it fits whatever you choose (but lean into the artsy side if that’s your thing).
there was even someone at my school who decided they wanted to go to uni on the day of the deadline! It was hectic but they did it in time. Don’t stress.

And finally, if you decide it’s not for you in September, you can transfer internally. If you change your mind early on, ur uni will probably swap you straight away, after that you may have to wait till the next academic year. But there’s nothing stopping you dropping out and reapplying for the next year on a different course if you really don’t want to continue with what you chose.
study languages?
Reply 3
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
And finally, if you decide it’s not for you in September, you can transfer internally. If you change your mind early on, ur uni will probably swap you straight away, after that you may have to wait till the next academic year.

No one should go to university with an expectation that they will "probably" be able to swap courses when they arrive.

There is a possibility that the university will allow a change of course -- but that would be dependent on whether the new course has places available (it might already be over its limit on numbers) and whether the student has the appropriate qualifications. The deadline also tends to be very tight, perhaps no more than two or three weeks into term (as otherwise it will be difficult to catch up with missed lectures/coursework).

There's also no guarantee that the university will offer a place on the new course to start the following year; it's very likely that they'll tell the student to withdraw and reapply though UCAS.
Reply 4

Have you already submitted your ucas?
Reply 5
I think you should just major in something that actually interests you. If you do not like computer science and you are not good at/interested in maths, chances are the computer science degree is incredible painful to obtain (provided you can graduate from it). Also, you need not work in the exact field you major in - even if you major in psychology, you need not be a psychologist. Theoretically maybe you will have more job opportunities if you have a CS degree, but it's not like you will be jobless or poor if you major in your interested degrees.
Original post by Tashax2
Have you already submitted your ucas?

How would you submit ucas without choosing a course?
If you dont like or enjoy maths don't do computer science.
What are your a level subjects? I would go for psychology or English as those degrees can be useful in a lot of careers and keeps your options fairly open. However if you’re still really not sure when the deadline comes it may be more sensible to just take a gap year and think about it properly, otherwise there’s a risk you’ll end up wasting a lot of time and money
Reply 9
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
How would you submit ucas without choosing a course?

He said right now I’ve picked computer science??
As well as investing your time in a degree course you're also using your (probably) once-in-a-lifetime student finance. On that basis, please be sure of what you want to study, or even if you are ready for that study right now.

Hey Anon :colondollar: Just to echo some of what's been said here- I can't emphasise enough how much I would recommend studying a course you are more likely to enjoy. It's a big decision to make and you're not overly interested then the next 3/4 years will be even harder than the few weeks you're having just now trying to pick a course.

I'd definitely be inclined to say follow your passions, and everything else will fall in to place. Speak to current students studying Psychology, Criminology etc. and ask what they think of their course and what they see themselves doing after. Chat to your friends and family about the subjects they think you're good at! Every uni will also have data on what their graduates go on to do after leaving, so ask these questions to Student Recruitment/Admissions teams and I'm sure they'll be able to help ease some of your worries around jobs afterwards. Sometimes jobs don't come up in the areas you think they would, but opportunities always come up elsewhere. Your time at uni will be about picking up and developing transferrable skills that you can impress an employer with. Try make it easier for yourself by picking an area you are keen to delve in to and learn about :smile:

And if all else fails- like someone has already mentioned above... take a step back and another think about your options. You have until the 15th January to get your application in on time for this cycle, and even if you don't submit by then you'll have other options (Clearing, for one). There is nothing that says there is a 'right' way to go to uni. Take the time you need to make the right decision- whether that be by January, by August, or by taking a gap year to think it over.

Best of luck to you!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending