The Student Room Group

Valid NHS breast reduction reason ?

My breast are a 34GG. I’ve recently lost 1.5 stone and my breasts are the exact same size, over christmas I’m going to lose about another stone so my bmi is well within the health weight range (it’s about 26 rn so justtt over) and then go to the GP about a breast reduction.

I have many very physical pain related reasons to go but I also have another 2 that I’m not sure if they’re aesthetic reasons or not.

1. I’m almost a 21 year old who’s never dated at all and literally can’t because of my boobs. Can’t ever have sex, far far too ashamed.

2. Can’t buy any clothes that fit. I’m a size 12/14 everywhere else buying size 20/22 tops just so the button does up

Would these reasons be fine to say to a GP ? Would be also saying

- back pain

- get rashes on my breasts

- on period they get SO sore to the point I’m actually wincing and unable to touch them really

- can’t sleep much because it’s literally sore to move on them

-hard to exercise

-constant unwanted sexual harassment

- as a student nurse I’m in constant pain with it on placement and back and neck gets so tired

Hopefully these are all fine things to say ? Honestly can’t cope if I can’t get it done
Reply 1
Also if anyone had any idea what the waiting times on the nhs are like that would be amazing xx
Original post by Anonymous
My breast are a 34GG. I’ve recently lost 1.5 stone and my breasts are the exact same size, over christmas I’m going to lose about another stone so my bmi is well within the health weight range (it’s about 26 rn so justtt over) and then go to the GP about a breast reduction.

I have many very physical pain related reasons to go but I also have another 2 that I’m not sure if they’re aesthetic reasons or not.

1. I’m almost a 21 year old who’s never dated at all and literally can’t because of my boobs. Can’t ever have sex, far far too ashamed.

2. Can’t buy any clothes that fit. I’m a size 12/14 everywhere else buying size 20/22 tops just so the button does up

Would these reasons be fine to say to a GP ? Would be also saying

- back pain

- get rashes on my breasts

- on period they get SO sore to the point I’m actually wincing and unable to touch them really

- can’t sleep much because it’s literally sore to move on them

-hard to exercise

-constant unwanted sexual harassment

- as a student nurse I’m in constant pain with it on placement and back and neck gets so tired

Hopefully these are all fine things to say ? Honestly can’t cope if I can’t get it done

Those all seem like valid reasons, good luck.

Only thing I'll point out is that constant sexual harassment and not ever being able to have sex seem somewhat contradictory... you realise those men are finding you really attractive right? But I also get that that's not desirable attention and those kinds of men are not exactly the ones you'd would want to be involved with.
Also if anyone had any idea what the waiting times on the nhs are like that would be amazing xx

Much, much longer now due to covid. Could be more than a year, but can't say for sure without asking.
Reply 4
Those all seem like valid reasons, good luck.

Only thing I'll point out is that constant sexual harassment and not ever being able to have sex seem somewhat contradictory... you realise those men are finding you really attractive right? But I also get that that's not desirable attention and those kinds of men are not exactly the ones you'd would want to be involved with.

It’s not so much I can’t have sex because no one finds me attractive but because I find myself so repulsive because of it
Reply 5
Much, much longer now due to covid. Could be more than a year, but can't say for sure without asking.

😭😭😭
It’s not so much I can’t have sex because no one finds me attractive but because I find myself so repulsive because of it

Well, if its any kind of consolation, you have lots of evidence that that's not the case for lots of other people.
Reply 7
Well, if its any kind of consolation, you have lots of evidence that that's not the case for lots of other people.

That’s not really how it works at all
I can understand wanting a breast reduction since I’m in the same position. I’m 16 years old with a breast size of 40HH almost 40J at this point. I’ve had very large breasts from a young age and it massively affected how I go about my life. Exercise is extremely difficult, I’ve suffered with back pain and a lot of other things. I’ve been going to the GP about having a breast reduction since around age 14. They’ve been reluctant to do in my case since im so young. However with you being 21 there is a possibility that they’ll do it since I’m assuming your breasts have stopped growing. Though the waiting time is horrendous still.
Reply 9
Original post by CharityCross219
I can understand wanting a breast reduction since I’m in the same position. I’m 16 years old with a breast size of 40HH almost 40J at this point. I’ve had very large breasts from a young age and it massively affected how I go about my life. Exercise is extremely difficult, I’ve suffered with back pain and a lot of other things. I’ve been going to the GP about having a breast reduction since around age 14. They’ve been reluctant to do in my case since im so young. However with you being 21 there is a possibility that they’ll do it since I’m assuming your breasts have stopped growing. Though the waiting time is horrendous still.

Thanks for the reply, I hope you’re doing okay x have they said to you what the wait time is like ? Or have they gave any specifics about criteria ?
Thanks for the reply, I hope you’re doing okay x have they said to you what the wait time is like ? Or have they gave any specifics about criteria ?

They mainly don’t want to do it yet because my breasts are still growing. And they haven’t said the specific wait time however I already knew it was long and now with Covid it’s most likely to be a longer wait like with most things. And they primarily want me to be a healthy weight right now since I’m overweight but not anything majorly large.

Quick Reply

Latest