The Student Room Group

EY Numerical Reasoning Test 2020

Hi, wanted to get some tips on the best way to prepare for this?

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

It's really really easy, don't worry. If it is the same as in October 2019, just do all 12 questions in 20 minutes. The questions really are pathetic, year 10 maths, not even joking. (You could do it in 8 minutes if you are quick lol)

HOWEVER, beware it is time recorded so if you take over 25 minutes or something for the whole test, you get auto-rejected no matter your score. 100% certain I scored 12 out of 12 for my test but got an auto-rejection email one minute later because I must have timed out. Therefore, to this day, I have a grudge against EY lol.

Best of luck toy you though.

Peter.
Reply 2
Original post by Peter Wei
Hi,

It's really really easy, don't worry. If it is the same as in October 2019, just do all 12 questions in 20 minutes. The questions really are pathetic, year 10 maths, not even joking. (You could do it in 8 minutes if you are quick lol)

HOWEVER, beware it is time recorded so if you take over 25 minutes or something for the whole test, you get auto-rejected no matter your score. 100% certain I scored 12 out of 12 for my test but got an auto-rejection email one minute later because I must have timed out. Therefore, to this day, I have a grudge against EY lol.

Best of luck toy you though.

Peter.

Thank you for replying!

Fell much more optimistic now. Did you practise long for the NRT before siting it? Do you think it might be worth buying those practice test papers available online?

Trying to see if I can sit the test with just two days of prep.
Reply 3
Hi - I got an offer and did all of this just before Christmas.

The questions themselves are GCSE level, they're pretty much all simple percentages and fractions (i.e. basic statistic and number manipulation). However the double edged sword is that if you need to be really accurate and get very few wrong as I think you'd fall really quickly in the rankings otherwise.

In my opinion, if you can already do things like reverse percentages to find original amounts, compound interest, read off tables/graphs etc then I wouldn't revise anymore, as you'll probably just stress yourself and mentally make the test out to be more than it is.

As Peter said, the whole test is time limited and it weights the time you took against your score. I comfortable with numbers but not a maths genius (and very hasty :biggrin:), so I'm sure I got a couple wrong, but I completed the test really quickly which meant that on balance I must've scored highly relative to most other people.
Reply 4
Original post by z.f.h
Hi, wanted to get some tips on the best way to prepare for this?

How'd you get on?
Reply 5
Going to sit it tomorrow! But the assessment day practice questions have me a bit flustered! Got my A in GCSE math but it looks like this EY test could go either way. What practice papers did you use?
Reply 6
I did practically no practice papers or revision. I was doing Physics at A Level which is very mathsy so I didn't need the practice anyway. I did, however, gp through this just to get a feel for the question type as I didn't know what to expect:

https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/numerical/Free/NumericalTest1/index.php

That link ^ is almost identical to the style of actual questions I got so, if anything were to help you, then that practice page is the best bet.

Genuinely don't get flustered or stressed as the questions objectively aren't that hard, just be sure that you're accurate and relatively quick in your answers. I'd be willing to bet that most people lose marks from not reading exactly what the question is asking of you, rather than not being good eough at maths. If you want any other advice feel free to PM or reply on here :smile:
Reply 7
Like you said, it was a lot easier than the practice questions! but I didn't pass, unfortunately. I think I assumed that there would be a total timer on the screen, so I didn't measure how long I spent in total on the questions. Definitely will be working on sharpening my maths skill.
Original post by z.f.h
Like you said, it was a lot easier than the practice questions! but I didn't pass, unfortunately. I think I assumed that there would be a total timer on the screen, so I didn't measure how long I spent in total on the questions. Definitely will be working on sharpening my maths skill.

Hi,

Don't worry about it mate. Like I said, EY's numerical reasoning is a piss-taking system. You can get 12/12 and be under 20 minutes, but you would still fail (for no apparent reason whatsoever).

Try another more reasonable company.

Best,

Peter.
Reply 9
Original post by Peter Wei
Hi,

Don't worry about it mate. Like I said, EY's numerical reasoning is a piss-taking system. You can get 12/12 and be under 20 minutes, but you would still fail (for no apparent reason whatsoever).

Try another more reasonable company.

Best,

Peter.

Hi Peter

Thank you so much for your encouragement! Definitely onwards and upwards!

Z
Original post by z.f.h
Hi Peter

Thank you so much for your encouragement! Definitely onwards and upwards!

Z

Hi Z,

You are welcome. At least now I know I didn't get discriminated against by EY lol.

Best,

Peter
Reply 11
Original post by z.f.h

Ah I'm sorry to hear that. Probably isn't the first thing you've failed and won't be the last :biggrin:

Contextualise it - it's just one (early!) test, for one company, for one programme, in one industry... there'll be plenty more opportunity in life. At least you learned a lesson for next time :smile:
Reply 12
Man I had the EY test today and failed the Numerical reasoning and I am a First year accounting student. Definitely now I know how to study for it, (graphs and business related scenarios). It's just a shame they do not send you a revision package haha, although it probably would have been too easy if they did ;p
Reply 13
Original post by Choixs
Man I had the EY test today and failed the Numerical reasoning and I am a First year accounting student. Definitely now I know how to study for it, (graphs and business related scenarios). It's just a shame they do not send you a revision package haha, although it probably would have been too easy if they did ;p

This actually makes me feel better, knowing that I wasn't the only one! If you knew what you know now, how would you prepare?
Reply 14
Original post by z.f.h
This actually makes me feel better, knowing that I wasn't the only one! If you knew what you know now, how would you prepare?

Definitely go into youtube/google and type stuff like/study reverse percentages, business math, graphs. I really do like math and learning it, but to be fair if you do not use examples like EY has provided in their exam, I am not surprised people do not pass these tests. Like I do not use that in everyday life so it is understandable that I (well us :P) have failed. I actually just emailed my lecture if she has any tips etc cause she did work for EY back in the day. And definitely I'm gonna contact my career department after I start my second year (maybe they will be able to support us somehow). All the best :smile:
Reply 15
Just took the test. It's so easy that you'll probably doubt yourself. Shockingly though, I may have drop an answer here or there and completed within the 20 minutes and got rejected. Yay.
Original post by ACNub
Just took the test. It's so easy that you'll probably doubt yourself. Shockingly though, I may have drop an answer here or there and completed within the 20 minutes and got rejected. Yay.

How long after you took the test did they reject you ?
Reply 17
Original post by RejectMaterial
How long after you took the test did they reject you ?

I'd say 10 minutes.
Original post by ACNub
I'd say 10 minutes.

Thanks mate, haven't received anything yet so good sign maybe
Reply 19
Original post by RejectMaterial
Thanks mate, haven't received anything yet so good sign maybe

Does it say that the test is still in progress? If not then maybe it is a good sign. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending